Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog Friendly Beaches in Clare

Options
  • 06-06-2013 7:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Does anyone know of any dog friendly beaches in Clare,I know Lahinch is restricted but not sure about any other and can't seem to get any solid info on the internet. Thanks
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭mel.b

Is Lahinch restricted by hours or time of the year (or both?) I don't go there often so haven't taken any notice, but I'm getting a puppy soon so will be making more trips to the beach.

I'd also be interested in beaches that are fairly quiet / isolated / contained (ie cliffs at either end, high dunes etc) so I can let my dog off for a run securely.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭Hooked

mel.b wrote: »
    Is Lahinch restricted by hours or time of the year (or both?) I don't go there often so haven't taken any notice, but I'm getting a puppy soon so will be making more trips to the beach.

I'd also be interested in beaches that are fairly quiet / isolated / contained (ie cliffs at either end, high dunes etc) so I can let my dog off for a run securely.

It sure is... Not that I pay any attention.

The warden tends to let people with small dogs do as they please though. He tried telling my OH off once as we have a husky... I was getting a parking permit. I just took him down (on lead), past the warden and pointed at all the small dogs and said... A dog's a dog!

Their signs (at Lahinch) say that dogs are prohibited may-sept. Chancers!

Here's the official word;

Between the hours of 11:00 a.m. and 6:00 p.m. during the Summer Season, it shall be prohibited to bring any dog onto any part of the beach except the exempted areas delineated on the schedule of maps attached hereto. Before 11:00 a.m. and 6:00 p.m., a dog may be brought onto the non-exempted areas of the beach on the conditions that:
    the dog is on a leash;
    it is not causing annoyance, danger or nuisance to any person using the beach or worrying, chasing, injuring or disturbing any animals, birds or other creatures on the beach; and
    its faeces is removed and deposited in a suitable receptacle

Summer season is June, July and August.

http://www.clarecoco.ie/Accessible_HTML/waste_water_environment/Beach_Bye_Laws/Clare_Beach_Bye_Laws.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2 shaunaghh

Thanks a mil,brought them to whitestrand and just kept them on the grass banks.

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Cocolola

You guys are lucky. We just moved to Galway in April and we're right beside Silverstrand but the hours for dogs are much worse than Lahinch
    ...dogs will not be permitted on Galway City beaches or their waters between the hours of 9 am and 8 pm during the months of May, June, July, August and September. This bye-law relates solely to the Galway City beaches of Salthill, Grattan, Ballyloughane and Silverstrand and to their waters

Bummer :-(

Advertisement