Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows 7 laptop

Options
  • 06-06-2013 12:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭

Hi, I'm interested in buying a laptop (300-380 budget) I am looking for a fairly good spec 13 to 15 inch not too bulky model, can anyone recommend where I could purchase either online or a store, or if anyone saw any recent value in a laptop I would be very grateful.smile.png I am also looking for windows 7 as I have been burnt by windows vista for a long time now on my current laptop.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭cowlick

I meant to add I will use the laptop for microsoft office use and internet browsing. No gaming. Would like good battery time and fairly fast start up as my current takes 10 mins or more from being turned on before I can access anything. Thanks

Been looking at acerdirect, same as a pig looking into a honda!!!
    What about this one?

http://www.acerdirect.co.uk/A1-NX.M1JEK.006_A1-NX.M1JEK.006/version.asp

Ok, so that last one is out of stock now, I have two others spotted, first one over budget and second fitting in nicely

http://www.laptopsdirect.co.uk/Refurbished_Grade_A1_Samsung_530U3B_Series_5_Core_i5_Ultrabook_in_Silver_A1-NP530U3B-A01UK/version.asp

http://www.acerdirect.co.uk/A1-LX.BKZ02.005_A1-LX.BKZ02.005/version.asp

I would be grateful for any opinions please, I just need at for microsoft office and browsing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭looking_around

if all you need is for surfing..why go with I5? ..you could get a cheaper laptop for around 300/400 euro that'll do office and browsing.

The PB, is lower spec, but more than enough for what you need.
    From my own personal experience though, I'd stay away from PB, they're a bit of hit and miss with hardware problems.

You should consider buying from a shop that you can easily go to in case there is any future problems. I don't know about the site you're looking to buy from. But salving problems over the internet can take about a month just to get them to pick up the item.

And you can get new.. for bout 300-400 euro here, and you'll have the option to buy insurance, which rarely goes amiss with laptops.
    __
    €324 .. from argos http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/5089411/c_1/1%7Ccategory_root%7COffice%252C%2BPCs%2Band%2Bphones%7C14418968/c_2/3%7C19780850%7CLaptops%2Band%2Bnetbooks%7C14419039/c_3/4%7Ccat_14419039%7CLaptops%7C14419040.htm
    Only thing it's win8, but if you look into computor shops, like pcworld..you should still be able to get win 7. However win 8 will have a longer lifeline and software compatibility.

A basic laptop will do both browsing and office just fine. You could even look at second hand if you don't mind taking that risk.

Thanks for the advice looking around, that laptop in argos looks good, pity about the windows 8 on it. I might give a look in PC world or Harvey Norman to see if they have any windows 7 ones in store. Yes I suppose its best buy in a shop that will take it back and sort it out rather than arranging delivery etc. Its the bad reviews on windows 8 after having windows vista and hating it for so long. It was the greatest and newest windows I was told in PC w**** at the time. The windows 7 laptops seem very thin on the ground now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭jomoloney

cowlick wrote: »
    Thanks for the advice looking around, that laptop in argos looks good, pity about the windows 8 on it. I might give a look in PC world or Harvey Norman to see if they have any windows 7 ones in store. Yes I suppose its best buy in a shop that will take it back and sort it out rather than arranging delivery etc. Its the bad reviews on windows 8 after having windows vista and hating it for so long. It was the greatest and newest windows I was told in PC w**** at the time. The windows 7 laptops seem very thin on the ground now.

W8 is not an issue, if you wish you can use

http://www.stardock.com/products/start8/

or similar

Windows 8, takes a bit to get used too, there's a few major discussions on the PC forums on it. Fantastic start times, stable OS. It's just a bit different and requires a good touch pad or touch screen (imo).

I think you also have the option to downgrade from win 8 to win 7.

Im coming around to the windows 8 now alright, is there any particular brands that have good touch pads as a norm? See that laptop you linked for me looking around, its gone up to €370 in the SALE!!!!

LOL... that's argos for you.. there are a few tablets with keyboard that might be worth looking at, virtually like a laptop and still capable for what you want... A computer store might your best bet to really get a look at them though

Thanks looking around, I will pop in and have a look.

• Advertisement
Advertisement