Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scrolls?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

I'm playing. Bought it yesterday. Haven't played a Card game in quite a while and I'm enjoying it.

I started with a growth deck. They have weaker units than their counterparts but they are much quicker to strike. It feels great when you have an army of wolves out with the Jarl and Great Wolf heading your army.

It's fun but feels underpowered compared to energy decks. That spell Energy have that instantly does 3 damage(and therefore kills most units instantly) is just plain ridiculous. It's so low cost for what it does.

Still, I'm impressed at what I've seen so far. Balance seems to be an ongoing thing which is nice and there is talk of two more decks being added in the near future which is good for diversity.

Here is a total Biscuit run through of the game for anybody interested. Actual gameplay starts about 32 minutes into the video. He plays a randomer online.

He isn't my favourite youtube personality by any means, but I know lots of people like him. He spends a lot of time gasbagging instead of playing though so he makes the game seem a lot slower paced than it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭Sprog 4

Got it the other day and I'm really enjoying it. Working on my Growth deck at the moment and getting my ass kicked a lot by Order players. Really difficult to play against the infantry swarm style of play if I cant get my resource up high enough early. Could do with some of the direct damage Energy spells but I haven't figured out an effective way of dual-colouring yet.

Sprog 4 wrote: »
    Got it the other day and I'm really enjoying it. Working on my Growth deck at the moment and getting my ass kicked a lot by Order players. Really difficult to play against the infantry swarm style of play if I cant get my resource up high enough early. Could do with some of the direct damage Energy spells but I haven't figured out an effective way of dual-colouring yet.

Yeah Order seems a bit OP at the minute. Their units are so low cost for the amount of hp and damage they have.....plus +2 spikey units are completely ridiculous. That needs to be removed.

Kirby wrote: »
    Yeah Order seems a bit OP at the minute. Their units are so low cost for the amount of hp and damage they have.....plus +2 spikey units are completely ridiculous. That needs to be removed.

I've gotten a couple of Kinsfolk Braves now though and they really are game changers if you can get them reasonable early and buff them up with Bear Paw and Rings. Mangy Wolves are pretty good for taking down spiky units as they heal 1 point whenever they hit something. Also, stick a Bloodboil on them and they gain 1 attack every time they attack a spiky. I also like that Growth has lots of ways to heal. It is more often than not though that if a unit gets hit then its straight up dead so the healing scrolls often just get sacrificed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭DeSelby83

is there any other type of game like this at the moment, i wouldnt mind trying it but dont want to buy into the beta if im never going to play it

• Advertisement

It's pretty unique in the sense that it combines a CCG with a grid-like battlefield (as far as I'm aware anyway). I suppose it shares a bit with the Magic The Gathering PC games. I'd go so far as to say the actual battles are a bit like Plants vs' Zombies, only multiplayer and with a lot more to them. There was also a game released recently that combines Tower Defence and CCG elements called Prime World: Defenders although I haven't played it. I'm having a lot of fun with Scrolls though and is well worth the 15 bucks if you like these games and can't wait for release :) Another game to watch would be Card Hunter but that's in closed beta at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭B00MSTICK

I surprised there hasn't been more posts/discussion on this, I picked it up a few days ago after my other housemates got it and I'm really enjoying it.
    Certainly worth the €15.
    I've started with Growth but will definitely be experimenting with a hybrid deck soonish.
    I've found balance to be OK overall ,so far there are a few cards that cost very little and can really stifle my deck but I suppose the same can be said for a few of my cards.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

On the fence whether to buy this or not, dunno if I know anybody who'll play it.

But the longer I wait the more expensive it will become!

On the fence whether to buy this or not, dunno if I know anybody who'll play it.

But the longer I wait the more expensive it will become!

I think it's still early in the life cycle though. At the moment we only have 3 different deck types. They are adding a fourth soon but it will probably end up over a dozen a year from now. They are still adding new cards though, Order and growth got a new card each recently.

When the proper retail hits, popularity will spike I would say. At the moment, there is usually over a thousand people watching it no twitch which is a good indication that its getting more popular all the time.

I'm enjoying it, I would recommend not waiting and hopping in now.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Kirby wrote: »
    I think it's still early in the life cycle though. At the moment we only have 3 different deck types. They are adding a fourth soon but it will probably end up over a dozen a year from now. They are still adding new cards though, Order and growth got a new card each recently.

When the proper retail hits, popularity will spike I would say. At the moment, there is usually over a thousand people watching it no twitch which is a good indication that its getting more popular all the time.

I'm enjoying it, I would recommend not waiting and hopping in now.

Oh I have no doubt it will be popular. What I meant was I don't have any friends who'll play it!

• Advertisement

Oh I have no doubt it will be popular. What I meant was I don't have any friends who'll play it!

I'd be up for a few games. My user name in Scrolls is BubbaWatson. That goes for anyone BTW. Feel free to throw me a challenge if you see me online.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭brianon

Dragging up this old thread. Got this over the weekend and really liking it (even if I am out of my depth atm).

Anyone still playing ?

Add me 'SendMoreCops' and we can trade/play.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,050 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

brianon wrote: »
    Dragging up this old thread. Got this over the weekend and really liking it (even if I am out of my depth atm).

Anyone still playing ?

Add me 'SendMoreCops' and we can trade/play.

Is it still in beta/alpha?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭brianon

Beta .105 I think.

Is it still in beta/alpha?

Yeah. It's Mojang so it'll be in beta for ages methinks. Another faction still to arrive to? I've not played in a while due to a huge backlog of other games and steam sale etc. but I think I'll dive back in especially now that Decay has made an appearance.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,050 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Very tempted to get this but I have far too many games to be playing already :D.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

Picked this up myself the other day. Still figuring stuff out but its pretty addictive.

IGN is 'Zercona'.

Advertisement