Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ryanair - buggies, pushchairs...

Options
  • 06-06-2013 9:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭

Can anyone clarify a query about Ryanair's policy on buggies please, they state the following:

There is no CHECKED/CABIN baggage allowance for infants. However, one fully collapsible pushchair per child may be carried free of charge.

I'm travelling with 3 children aged over 2, Ryanair classify an infant as under 2 and a child as over 2. My reading of this is that each child has a cabin baggage allowance, simple enough, but is each child also allowed a buggy each as well? I need to bring only 1 buggy but don't want to have an argument about the buggy "allowance" only applying to "infants" despite the fact that they say "child" in their terms and conditions.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Louche Lad

In case you haven't come across them, here are other discussions on this (a few years old though)

http://www.magicmum.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=49&t=184123
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=3087138

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

You'll be fine, just bring it to the gate, they may or may not tag it there for you, and then you carry it to the steps of the plane and the guys there load it on for you. Pretty painless and they won't question the age of the child involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,153 ✭✭✭✭km79

ThisRegard wrote: »
    You'll be fine, just bring it to the gate, they may or may not tag it there for you, and then you carry it to the steps of the plane and the guys there load it on for you. Pretty painless and they won't question the age of the child involved.
    Would this be instead of their 10kg allowance or along with it ?

Along with it, they carry the prams for free.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭quenching

Thanks for that, you never know with Ryanair!

• Advertisement

Along with it, they carry the prams for free.
    Thanks. It's actually are lingus im flying with but if Ryan air do I'm sure they do !

Are Lingus are the same, you leave the prams at the entrance to the aircraft on the gangway and they take them away from there.

It can actually be better with Ryanair though because you usually get your prams when you step off the plane (depending on airport I suppose).

Are Lingus are the same, you leave the prams at the entrance to the aircraft on the gangway and they take them away from there.

It can actually be better with Ryanair though because you usually get your prams when you step off the plane (depending on airport I suppose).

Thanks flying shannon to faro. So do we need to get it tagged at check in ? We are checking in one bag

The guys at the check in desk will probably see you with the pram anyway but just mention it to them and they'll tag it there like they would a case and off you go until you hand it over at the gate.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭hiltonhater

Have flown with both airlines in recent months and you can bring the buggy with no extra charge at all :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭Pigeon Chaser

I have a definitive answer to this question.

I had been trawling through forums with no conflicting reports as I am flying with my 2 year old this weekend and didnt want to be caught out with extra charges.

I just called Ryanair's 1520 customer line (No long hold period either)

Anyway, the agent told me that

"All passengers under the age of 16, so infants 0-2 and children 2 - 16 are entitled to bring a pushchair free of charge. Children (2-16) are also permitted to bring one item of hand luggage weighing under 10kg as well as a pushchair at no extra cost. Infants (0-2) have no hand luggage allowance"

So, yes, you can bring a pushchair, and standard hand luggage with a child over the age of 2 :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 StanYoumi

Regards travelling with Infants.....I booked for myself and wife and two 8 month old twin girls to fly Dublin to Stansted with Ryanair. I couldn't find any information on the Ryanair website but assumed the infants could travel with Birth Cert's as ID - same as Aer Lingus and most normal Airlines. Tried to check in on the Ryanair website the night before the flight and it wouldn't let me without passport numbers for the two Babies. I assumed this might be a ploy for Ryanair to get more money from me as they do. Went to Dublin Airport and was told we needed Passports for the Babies. My problem is that it's not mentioned anywhere on their website. Why on earth do Babies under 2 need a passport to travel?. The "helpful" (stoney faced) lady at "Ryanair Customer Service desk" (oxymoron) told me that myself and my wife could travel but our two little ones couldn't!! Considered giving her a brief run down on their feeding habits and handing her their changing bag and heading off but the wife wasn't on for it. It's daft and I think it's a ploy to stop parents travelling ontheir flights with young children. I WILL NEVER FLY RYANAIR AGAIN. They are NOT LOW COST - you always end up paying even more and arriving at an airport that is miles from anywhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

StanYoumi wrote: »
    Regards travelling with Infants.....I booked for myself and wife and two 8 month old twin girls to fly Dublin to Stansted with Ryanair. I couldn't find any information on the Ryanair website but assumed the infants could travel with Birth Cert's as ID - same as Aer Lingus and most normal Airlines. Tried to check in on the Ryanair website the night before the flight and it wouldn't let me without passport numbers for the two Babies. I assumed this might be a ploy for Ryanair to get more money from me as they do. Went to Dublin Airport and was told we needed Passports for the Babies. My problem is that it's not mentioned anywhere on their website. Why on earth do Babies under 2 need a passport to travel?. The "helpful" (stoney faced) lady at "Ryanair Customer Service desk" (oxymoron) told me that myself and my wife could travel but our two little ones couldn't!! Considered giving her a brief run down on their feeding habits and handing her their changing bag and heading off but the wife wasn't on for it. It's daft and I think it's a ploy to stop parents travelling ontheir flights with young children. I WILL NEVER FLY RYANAIR AGAIN. They are NOT LOW COST - you always end up paying even more and arriving at an airport that is miles from anywhere.

Ryanair ALWAYS have/will only accept an Irish passport from Irish citizens.They dont take any other form of ID but an Irish passport. Its pretty that its their policy. They even require an Irish Passport on domestic flights. What benefit does Ryanair got from not having your children on the flight? Nothing, as they cant sell on the seat and the plane is fuelled assuming they will be on board.

You should have checked this before you flew. Just dont assume things when come to crossing international boarders.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 StanYoumi

hfallada wrote: »
    Ryanair ALWAYS have/will only accept an Irish passport from Irish citizens.They dont take any other form of ID but an Irish passport. Its pretty that its their policy. They even require an Irish Passport on domestic flights. What benefit does Ryanair got from not having your children on the flight? Nothing, as they cant sell on the seat and the plane is fuelled assuming they will be on board.

You should have checked this before you flew. Just dont assume things when come to crossing international boarders.

NO - It's NOT clear that's their policy. I'm an intelligent, educated, 40 year old man and having looked on their website quite throughly it wasn't clear to me. IT SHOULD BE CLEAR. There is NO LOGICAL REASON why an infant would need a passport. RYANAIR RIP PEOPLE OFF AND DON'T CARE!! - They made announced €500 Million profits recently. How mjuch of this profit was ripped off from people who didn't get the servicve they deserved???

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭hiltonhater

I find it clear! They state that EVERY passenger needs a passport. Your babies are considered passengers. Why on earth would you even think it was safe to fly with two infants without ID for them? it is hardly ryanair ripping you off if it was yourselves that decided not to invest in passports for your own children.

Edited to add, it is also mentioned on the department of foreign affairs website that all children need their own passport to prevent kidnapping and child trafficking so there is also your LOGICAL reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Thread closed.
    @StanYoumi , Welcome to boards.ie! Please pm me if you have any issues about this being thread closed.

Thanks,
    kerry4sam

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement