Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Zimbabwe trio

Options
  • 05-06-2013 9:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭

Just a shot in the dark. Anyone know when Waller, Moor and Bentley, 3 young Zimbabwe born cricketers, currently playing in Ireland become eligible for the Irish national team?

From what I've read all are interested in playing for Ireland but aren't eligible to play for a while.

Could be excellent additions to the squad, especially with some payers coming to the end of their careers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

sorry but who are these players ?

The certainly don't play D1 or D2 in the LCU.

Waller must be eligible as he is playing for the NW Knights and as far as I know only Irish qualified players can play in the inter pros.

The only senior cricketer with the surname Moor that I can find is PJ Moor of CIYMS but Im 99.9% hes Irish and even if he isn't hes not even within an arses roar of the Irish setup as he averages 14.7 with the bat and doesn't bowl

The only Bentley playing senior cricket in Ireland is M Bentley for Bready but I know nothing about him or if this is who your referring to ?

Maybe you can shed some light on who these players are and who they are playing for.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,238 ✭✭✭✭djimi

A look on Google suggests that Nathan Waller plays for Lisburn, and Matthew Bentley playes for Strabane. Both are Zimbabwe u19s. Not sure who Moor is.

If they were not born here or are not Irish nationals then they must have been living here for a minimum of 183 days for four consecutive years, and must have played in 50% of their sides domestic league games in 3 of the last 5 seasons, or have spend 100 days coaching for five preceding seasons.

http://static.icc-cricket.com/ugc/documents/DOC_740D1B2B3E1D6FA93B88DAEC9060B4AE_1326861589517_865.pdf

Unless they grew up here Id say there have a while to go yet, but I dont know these guys so I might be wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭wicorthered

D3PO wrote: »
    The only senior cricketer with the surname Moor that I can find is PJ Moor of CIYMS but Im 99.9% hes Irish and even if he isn't hes not even within an arses roar of the Irish setup as he averages 14.7 with the bat and doesn't bowl

That is the correct Moor. He is a Zimbabwean with an Irish passport. I wouldn't be too worried about his average yet. He's a very highly rated top order batsman in Zimbabwe.

Nathan Waller is an opening bowler, who can be more than useful with the bat. He was called into a recent Zimbabwe training camp but has now decided to focus on a career in Ireland.

Matthew Bentley is a mid order batsman, who bowls useful off-spin. He is a former Zimbabwe Under 19 captain.

I've since discovered Moor and Waller are eligible to play for Ireland from Jan 2013. Both have Irish passports. Bentley however will not be eligible for 3 years under residency rules. He is starting college in Ireland and plans to stay and see out the residency commitments.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

That is the correct Moor. He is a Zimbabwean with an Irish passport. I wouldn't be too worried about his average yet. He's a very highly rated top order batsman in Zimbabwe.

Nathan Waller is an opening bowler, who can be more than useful with the bat. He was called into a recent Zimbabwe training camp but has now decided to focus on a career in Ireland.

Matthew Bentley is a mid order batsman, who bowls useful off-spin. He is a former Zimbabwe Under 19 captain.

I've since discovered Moor and Waller are eligible to play for Ireland from Jan 2013. Both have Irish passports. Bentley however will not be eligible for 3 years under residency rules. He is starting college in Ireland and plans to stay and see out the residency commitments.

Thanks for the update. Will keep an eye on these guys to see how they progress. Waller is clearly highly regarded as he is part of the inter provincial setup this season.

Would seem Bentley & Moor are further down the pecking order as it stands. Moor will need to do a lot to improve that average to even get a look in to be honest.

Lots of talented you cricketers around question is who will step up. That's the great thing now with the interpros, we can follow their progress from interpros to Ireland A and potentially to the senior setup.

• Advertisement
Advertisement