Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Volume question - kinda urgent :)

Options
  • 05-06-2013 8:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭

Hi folks. Have a question for you techie people. I have made a soundscape that is to be played on outside speakers in an urban environment. I have a question about what volume I should make the final loop at. Is it a case of keeping it reasonably low or should I hike the volume considering the environment its going to be played in (on speakers on a pontoon in river in Derry) . Thanks in advance :)

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 743 Mod ✭✭✭✭TroutMask

Make it good and loud - they can always turn it down. What format is it being played off: CD, file etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭galwaybabe

I'm sending both a Cd and a digital file as I am not sure what the tech will want. I think either will do him. Thanks for your advice. Much appreciated

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 743 Mod ✭✭✭✭TroutMask

Maybe make a couple of CDs: one medium volume and one louder! Try not to clip the file though as some systems won't react well to audio with 'Digital Overs' as they call them. Your files should not go above -4 really (0dB FSD being the loudest & clipping). You'd be surprised at how audio can get lost outdoors though - maybe talk to the tech & see what they recommend?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭galwaybabe

Thanks a million TroutMask :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,790 ✭✭✭PaulBrewer

I'd suggest max 'volume' - then if any other commercial material is played on same system with your settings it won't be too much of a difference .

Also from a Noise Floor point of view .

Normalise the file to give max volume while maintaining dynamic range.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭Welease

galwaybabe wrote: »
    I'm sending both a Cd and a digital file as I am not sure what the tech will want. I think either will do him. Thanks for your advice. Much appreciated

I'd contact the customer and find out what equipment they do have and agree the delivery format.. Chances are you are ok with a CD... but you don't want to find out on the go-live day that they have speakers and an old cassette system :)

Advertisement