Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can you share your lunch & snack ideas with a new veggie?

Options
  • 05-06-2013 5:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Really interested in what other people are eating for lunch and snacks during the day?

Main meals are reasonably ok... but what do you fellow veggies eat for lunch and snacks?

I'm newly vegetarian (about 4 months now) and really don't know if I'm getting the right balance of nutrition etc., but this is a marathon not a sprint eh? I'm a relatively active guy in his mid-30s.

So, in the interests of sharing... here is my lunch (typically, weekday)

- Wholegrain bread sandwich, with relish, cheddar, sliced red/green/yellow pepper, spinach (lots) or rocket or brocco shoots (can't really afford them though, they are expensive). That's typically 4 x slices of a normal loaf, crammed with the above -OR- on other days, I get a buffet salad usually a blast of chickpeas, egg whites, roasted veg, couscous, diced beetroot, chard leaves, with mixed vegetable soup & small bread roll
    - Two tomatoes (or another pepper)
    - Nuts: brazil or macadamia nuts
    - A handful of fresh carrot sticks
    - Piece of homemade cake, or a pain au chocolat
    - Some mid-level junk like a bar of chocolate, muffin or bun :)

And here are my snacks:

- Sunflower seeds
    - Peanut butter with celery sticks
    - Raisins
    - Fruit: bananas, pears, apples, plums (about 4 pieces a day)
    - Dark chocolate

So that's me. Genuinely interested in what others are eating at lunch?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Ms. Koi

Sounds like a really good lunch! Lunch is my worst meal, I never plan and I'm always just grabbing something quick. I really do need to put more effort in!

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Staff Infection

Pots of either cottage cheese or hummus with carrot sticks, celery sticks etc.

Peanut butter and banana sandwiches (excellent toasted, fry them if you want extra nom/heart failure)

Veggie sausages with peppers wrapped in lettuce leaves (on low carb days)

Omelets with whatever veg is in the fridge

Salads dosed with pre-cooked beans and/or quinoa

Half a pot of natural greek style yogurt with dash of cinnamon, raisons, apple, banana, few seeds and whatever fruit is on the go

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Immaculata

Peanut butter and banana sandwiches (excellent toasted, fry them if you want extra nom/heart failure)

Sounds yummy. Wasn't Elvis a fan of those type of sandwiches?

@OP: Things I scoff for lunch:

- Some felafel in a pita bread pocket with salad and dressing. Pretty portable as a packed lunch if wrapped in foil.
    - A pot of hummus and some carrots.
    - A sandwich made with bean dip and salad. I usually make the one out of the Enchanted Broccoli Forest, which goes like this: 1 can/2 cups beans (even cheapo baked beans with the sauce rinsed off in a colander work), 1/2 cup pesto, 1/2 cup cheese, salt and pepper to taste, and some milk. Mix the beans, pesto, cheese and seasonings together in a blender or food processor, and then add a little milk until it's the consistency you want.
    - A wrap with refried beans, salsa, salad, and cheese.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭tatli_lokma

A lunch I love (and I often have it for dinner too) is a cheat's mexican bean wrap.

A tin of mixed beans, add to some passata and chilli powder or paprika (or if you are feeling really lazy you can use those 'mexican beans' already in a sauce, tesco do nice ones). throw in some diced red and green peppers, sweetcorn and onion. Mix.
    BTW - don't add too much passata as you don't want it really runny, just enough to coat the beans.
    Fold into a wrap with some grated cheese.
    George forman it.
    Serve with sliced tomato and lettuce for a bit of crunch, and some avocado if I have it.

oh and I'm another one who loves celery and peanut butter, or apple slices with some peanut butter.

Or soft cheese and apple or grapes. I love water crackers, white Turkish cheese, fig jam (turkish brand). Salty, sweet and crunchy. Yummy!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Staff Infection

Immaculata wrote: »
    Sounds yummy. Wasn't Elvis a fan of those type of sandwiches?

Yep that's actually how I heard about this delicious sandwich. Probably one of the few vegetarian things he ate and if it's good enough for the King then it's good enough for me. :)

if it's good enough for the King then it's good enough for me. :)
    uh-huh, that's right!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

I'm doing a bit of training recently and have found myself starving every couple of hours.

I've realised that I'm eating 6 slices of bread every day which is too much I reckon. Now, the positive is is that it's brown and usually multigrain/wholemeal. But still, 6 slices is too much.

So I have 2 questions:

1. Can you put these in order in terms of which is BEST regarding not putting on weight

a. brown sliced pan, b. pitta, c. wrap

2. what other ways are there of feeling full without scoffing loads of carbs such as bread, pasta, potatoes etc?

My belly is getting bigger even though I'm back playing hurling and running 8km regularly.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Ms. Koi

kraggy wrote: »
    I'm doing a bit of training recently and have found myself starving every couple of hours.

I've realised that I'm eating 6 slices of bread every day which is too much I reckon. Now, the positive is is that it's brown and usually multigrain/wholemeal. But still, 6 slices is too much.

So I have 2 questions:

1. Can you put these in order in terms of which is BEST regarding not putting on weight

a. brown sliced pan, b. pitta, c. wrap

2. what other ways are there of feeling full without scoffing loads of carbs such as bread, pasta, potatoes etc?

My belly is getting bigger even though I'm back playing hurling and running 8km regularly.

Thanks.

You would be better with a big salad, heaps of veggies, chickpeas, quinoa/cous-cous over bread/pasta. If you get a good lot of veggies it should fill you up!

Advertisement