Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on planting Parnsip Seedlings

• 05-06-2013 5:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭

Hi All

Same novice gardener here!

Can anyone give me some advice / tips on transplanting some parsnip seedlings I've grown from seed.

Many Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭genuine leather

Hey ellejay
    Parsnips form a tap root very quick after germination and when in a module it will curl around the base and continue growing that way in the ground,ideally they should be sown direct into the ground, march/april, weather permitting, and are slow to germinate, yours are small and maybe could still be transplanted 2/3 a time into toilet roll inserts full of compost where the root has a chance to grow down, grown on a little bit more, and then planted out into your veg beds.
    A longer growing season makes for good size parsnips.
    Hopes this helps
    GL

• Registered Users Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Macy0161

ASAP. What you can see above ground means 4 or 5 times that length below ground. You can do them in paper pots/ toilet roll inners, but once you have a seedling they should be planted out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭ellejay

Hey ellejay
    Parsnips form a tap root very quick after germination and when in a module it will curl around the base and continue growing that way in the ground,ideally they should be sown direct into the ground, march/april, weather permitting, and are slow to germinate, yours are small and maybe could still be transplanted 2/3 a time into toilet roll inserts full of compost where the root has a chance to grow down, grown on a little bit more, and then planted out into your veg beds.
    A longer growing season makes for good size parsnips.
    Hopes this helps
    GL

thanks very much for reply genuine leather
    re the toilet roll insert, i'm guessing i should use the full size insert and place the seedling as close to the top as possible?

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭genuine leather

ellejay wrote: »
    thanks very much for reply genuine leather
    re the toilet roll insert, i'm guessing i should use the full size insert and place the seedling as close to the top as possible?

Just slightly shy of the top ellejay for ease of watering, they will be smallish at the end of season but the taste you get from your own parsnips is fab, surpassing anything shop bought.

Maincrop carrots can be sown now:), sowed some autumn giant this eve myself,
    direct in the soil is the way to go. The old saying with carrots is, "sow in dust and grow they must".

Draw out a drill and water the it well, sow the seeds thinly, cover and lightly pat down with your hand, give a light watering and no more water until the seedlings emerge. Beware of the snails, they can devour a row of seedlings as they come up and you think they did not germinate.
    Happy gardening.

Advertisement