Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Buying a DSLR Camera from eBay?

• 05-06-2013 4:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 48

My partner has been interested in photography for the past couple of years and is now ready to upgrade his camera. The model he's looking for (Canon 60D) is pricing at about €800 here in camera stores with just the body. I suggested he check ebay.

We found the same camera brand new (with 2 lenses included) for about €600. Needless to say we were delighted with this. There also seems to be a lot of identical offers for the same camera, even with the same product picture.
    The suppliers are top sellers, however it does say that the location is Hong Kong. It also says that the Camera is JP (Japanese Model). Now I don't know if there'd be a difference between a Japanese and European model and that's what I want to know.

Will there be any drastic differences between buying one of these cameras off ebay or would be be safer just to go into a shop?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

600D?

• Registered Users Posts: 48 danom8

No, 60D...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,099 ✭✭✭dinneenp

One Stop Digital are very good prices & safe. used by several people here.
    €567 there and new

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

600D?

Can you elaborate please :rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭endacl

I bought several lenses from HK suppliers. Never any issues. One arrived with a flaw in the glass. All sorted out at the seller's expense with no quibbling.

Check their feedback. You'll be grand. May get hit by customs though. Happened once to me. Meh.. Twenty quid. Easily absorbed by the fact that most of the HK dealers don't charge shipping.

• Advertisement

dinneenp wrote: »
    One Stop Digital are very good prices & safe. used by several people here.
    €567 there and new

Will be sure to check that out, thanks!

endacl wrote: »
    I bought several lenses from HK suppliers. Never any issues. One arrived with a flaw in the glass. All sorted out at the seller's expense with no quibbling.

Check their feedback. You'll be grand. May get hit by customs though. Happened once to me. Meh.. Twenty quid. Easily absorbed by the fact that most of the HK dealers don't charge shipping.

Thanks for that. Feeling a bit better now. Just a bit worried about compatibility (power cords, software, language settings etc...) However most of the UK buyers were satisfied with what they got so maybe this isn't an issue...

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭endacl

danom8 wrote: »
    Cheers, thanks for the advice, feeling a bit better about it now. One more question if you don't mind, do you know if the battery charger came with a cable compatible with our power sockets? Is everything else compatible?
    Canon chargers use a standard 'tape recorder' type cable. Remember those? :P

2-3 yoyos from your local hardware shop. Shouldn't be an issue.

1024496.jpg

endacl wrote: »
    Canon chargers use a standard 'tape recorder' type cable. Remember those? :P

2-3 yoyos from your local hardware shop. Shouldn't be an issue.

1024496.jpg

We actually have one of those from his last camera. Fantastic, assuming they're all the same we're pretty much good to go!

pixbyjohn wrote: »
    Can you elaborate please :rolleyes::rolleyes:

I thought it was obvious that I was confirming the model number. Can't make it any simpler.

60D with two lenses for €600 is questionable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭sebphoto

Will be sure to check that out, thanks!

Make sure you also get international manufacturer warranty just in case. Otherwise you will have to send the camera to HK to get it repaired. Also pretty often it is way better idea to buy not kit lenses.

This is the cheapest 60D twin lens kit I can find on ebay - http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Canon-EOS-60D-Body-kit-18-55mm-IS-II-75-300mm-III-/160874440316

That's subject to VAT and Duty though..

I've used Onsetop a couple of times, no complaints, but I believe Canon can be fussier with European warranties than Nikon.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭condra

Has anyone bought off "pixel_deals" or "monster-oz" on eBay?

Is there any reason to worry about buying from a "Top Rated Seller"?

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭alyssum

My partner has been interested in photography for the past couple of years and is now ready to upgrade his camera. The model he's looking for (Canon 60D) is pricing at about €800 here in camera stores with just the body. I suggested he check ebay.

We found the same camera brand new (with 2 lenses included) for about €600. Needless to say we were delighted with this. There also seems to be a lot of identical offers for the same camera, even with the same product picture.
    The suppliers are top sellers, however it does say that the location is Hong Kong. It also says that the Camera is JP (Japanese Model). Now I don't know if there'd be a difference between a Japanese and European model and that's what I want to know.

Will there be any drastic differences between buying one of these cameras off ebay or would be be safer just to go into a shop?
    Remember if you have a problem being outside of EU means not being covered by EU consumer law

Advertisement