Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do dentists ever do pro bono work?

Options
  • 05-06-2013 2:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭

Just wondering do any dentists do pro bono work in Ireland?

I understand entirely that there is a public health system which is *supposed* to provide dental treatment to those in need. However, we all know the restrictions placed on medical card dentistry.

I'm thinking of people that fall outside the system, perhaps people like the homeless, or those with addictions.

I'm sure many dentists in private practice have provided a very high level of care for patients and not fully charged them for it having regard to the patient's financial circumstances etc and that's a generous thing to do.

But I'm wondering if there is a place for pro bono dentistry here and if so what are the logistics and practicalities of it?

Any thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭mitosis

I'm pretty sure the dental hospital does. It's how trainees gain experience

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭bureau2009

mitosis wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure there are restrictions there, and also a long waiting list so it mightn't suit everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭digzy

bureau2009 wrote: »
    Just wondering do any dentists do pro bono work in Ireland?

I understand entirely that there is a public health system which is *supposed* to provide dental treatment to those in need. However, we all know the restrictions placed on medical card dentistry.

I'm thinking of people that fall outside the system, perhaps people like the homeless, or those with addictions.

I'm sure many dentists in private practice have provided a very high level of care for patients and not fully charged them for it having regard to the patient's financial circumstances etc and that's a generous thing to do.

But I'm wondering if there is a place for pro bono dentistry here and if so what are the logistics and practicalities of it?

Any thoughts?

cuba?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

mitosis wrote: »

Nope Dental Hospital Charge, its less but not much.

Dentistry costs money to provide. The dentist would be better giving you money and not doing the work than doing it for free.

Even if the dentist worked for free, would their lab, nurse, suppliers, landlord, ESB, Eircom etc also work for free?

Maybe if you are a D list celebrity you will find a dentist willing to do work in return for a plug on the late late.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭bureau2009

Maybe if you are a D list celebrity you will find a dentist willing to do work in return for a plug on the late late.
    I'm pretty sure this has already happened! :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
Advertisement