Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

It's official! An Irishman brought the first spuds to North America

Options
  • 05-06-2013 3:00am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,059 ✭✭✭

Today, the humble spud was made the State Vegetable of New Hampshire. Brought here by an Irishman, it gives the lie to what we learned in school history. Walter Raleigh must be turning in his grave after taking the kudos for years. Governor Maggie Hassan signed the decree this afternoon.

June 6th 2013

Potato Becomes New Hampshire's State Vegetable

By Jack Kenny

I had just picked up my copy of the Union Leader one morning when I noticed a story about a bill, passed overwhelmingly by the New Hampshire House, to officially declare the potato our state vegetable. A few minutes later I received an e-mail, offering a way to lower my blood pressure “naturally.” I thought it might be to stop reading the newspaper, but it was some other, less-useful suggestion.
    The story told of how the humble potato was borne here from Ireland in 1719, via seeds carried by the Rev. James MacGregor, who planted them in the town now known as Derry (then a part of the township of Nutfield) in a field close to where the Derry Village School now stands. Students at the school discovered all that while researching the origins of the white potato in North America. The students were in the gallery when the House debated the potato bill, or the Spud Saga, if you prefer.
    Yes, they actually debated the thing. Rep. John O’Connor, a Derry Republican, recalled the fine Irish ancestry of the noble potato and its pilgrimage across the Atlantic to Derry, where it enjoyed a new birth in freedom for the people of colonial America.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Also brought over redheads

• Registered Users Posts: 20,411 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Wasn't it Walter Raleigh that brought the bicycle to Ireland?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭Festy

Best news I've have heard all year.Really makes you proud to be Irish I tell ya...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,059 ✭✭✭WilyCoyote

Also brought over redheads

If you mean Kerr's Pink? Very close but no cigar. They were blondes. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

kneemos wrote: »
    Wasn't it Walter Raleigh that brought the bicycle to Ireland?

And Lance Armstrong was the first person to cycle to the moon.

Smashing news all the same about the spuds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Tulipout

Feck all that foreign rice and pasta muck.

You can't beat the spud.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,411 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

How did she sign the decree on June 6 when today is the 5th?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Killer Wench

The potato came from South America and bloomed throughout the Americas and the Spanish took the potato to Europe.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Potato

Well that story just got mashed to pieces.

The potato came from South America and bloomed throughout the Americas and the Spanish took the potato to Europe.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Potato[/QUOTE]

Read further down. A little bit of ambiguity here:

History

Main article: History of the potato
    The potato was first domesticated in the region of modern-day southern Peru and extreme northwestern Bolivia[5] between 8000 and 5000 BCE.[6] It has since spread around the world and become a staple crop in many countries.
    According to conservative estimates, the introduction of the potato was responsible for a quarter of the growth in Old World population and urbanization between 1700 and 1900.[28] Following the Spanish conquest of the Inca Empire, the Spanish introduced the potato to Europe in the second half of the 16th century. The staple was subsequently conveyed by European mariners to territories and ports throughout the world.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Killer Wench

WilyCoyote wrote: »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Potato[/QUOTE]

Read further down. A little bit of ambiguity here:

History

Main article: History of the potato
    The potato was first domesticated in the region of modern-day southern Peru and extreme northwestern Bolivia[5] between 8000 and 5000 BCE.[6] It has since spread around the world and become a staple crop in many countries.
    According to conservative estimates, the introduction of the potato was responsible for a quarter of the growth in Old World population and urbanization between 1700 and 1900.[28] Following the Spanish conquest of the Inca Empire, the Spanish introduced the potato to Europe in the second half of the 16th century. The staple was subsequently conveyed by European mariners to territories and ports throughout the world.

This really isn't that ambiguous:

"The potato was first domesticated in the region of modern-day southern Peru and extreme northwestern Bolivia[5] between 8000 and 5000 BCE.[6] It has since spread around the world and become a staple crop in many countries."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 447 ✭✭ONeill2013

you certainly learn something new every day

• Registered Users Posts: 18,093 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Tulipout wrote: »
    Feck all that foreign rice and pasta muck.

You can't beat the spud.

But you can blight it, I'll get me coat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I know Americans are famously stupid both about history and the rest of the world but do the Irish have to chip in?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Lone Stone

baked potato with butter and white cheese emmmm

• Registered Users Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

An American guy in Chicago once told me how surprising it was to see hot women in Dublin when he visited, especially when all they eat is potatoes! :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭TheLastMohican

An American guy in Chicago once told me how surprising it was to see hot women in Dublin when he visited, especially when all they eat is potatoes! :confused:

Goodbye Mr Chips!

Joking aside, you could live on Taytos, high blood pressure tablets and some fluids.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

"The potato was first domesticated in the region of modern-day southern Peru and extreme northwestern Bolivia[5] between 8000 and 5000 BCE.[6] It has since spread around the world and become a staple crop in many countries." /Wiki.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

I thought everyone knew that potatoes came from America?
    Wait...this is AH....

Have just checked with ancestry.com and, after paying my $22.95, they've assured me that spuds came from South America to USA via Ireland. The name change to fries is thought to be the origin of the confusion. :D

• Advertisement

That Ancestry.com is deadly. We now know that the Walker and Lay families all originated from a single spud (TomàsheenTayto) that emigrated from the Claddagh in the late 18thcentury. Let's hear it for the Mr Tayto on this St Patrick's Week.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭BMJD

Je suis prátaí

BMJD wrote: »
    Je suis prátaí
    You are in urgent need of anti-psychotic meds. Prátaí is plural.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,918 ✭✭✭circadian

ab-rise.gif

"Wiiiise fwom yo gwaaaave"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭LDN_Irish

• Registered Users Posts: 8,168 ✭✭✭Wompa1

mike65 wrote: »
    I know Americans are famously stupid both about history and the rest of the world but do the Irish have to chip in?

You believe in generalizations, isn't that cute? :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,025 Mod ✭✭✭✭G_R

Zombie thread - 2 years since the last post OP.

Closed

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement