Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on applying for Jobseeker's Allowance

Options
  • 04-06-2013 9:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28

Hi,

Apologies for the long winded question. I'm a bit of a difficult situation and any advice would be welcome.

I recently was successful in applying for a higher position within the company I work for, which meant relocating to Dublin. A few days before I was due to start I had an accident which left me with bad facial injuries. As a result I couldn't give the new store a date when I would be able to transfer, as I couldn't anticipate how long it would take to recover. So I had decline the job, apart from the physical damage I would not be able to start in a new place any time soon as I am very upset and conscious of my appearance. This job would involve a lot of pressure to present myself well.

As it was a transfer between stores, I was able to stay on where I was in Galway, even though my full time position has been filled. So I have been given a twelve hour contract.

The thing is I had moved into my accomodation in dublin and paid my deposit and rent, and so am effectively living there and having to work twelve hours here just to pay the rent. I have been out on illness benefit for four weeks, and am hoping once I go back I can get the part time dole. I want to work in dublin, and hope to get a job there as soon as i am able to work. In the meantime though it is so inconvenient to go up and down when trying to fit in doctors appointments also.

I'm wondering if there is any chance I could get full time jobseekers allowance and live in dublin until i am successful in getting a job? I know that you are disqualified of you refused alternative employment, and this is the reason i accepted a twelve hour contract. But it really just isnt feasible for me at the moment.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

You could put your case to them but you may be disqualified for 9 weeks if they deem you to have left your job.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 mwv

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    You could put your case to them but you may be disqualified for 9 weeks if they deem you to have left your job.

Thanks for your help, I guess it's a risk. I take it then that I would qualify after the nine weeks had passed?

Advertisement