Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Internship...one year on.

Options
  • 04-06-2013 8:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭

So this time last year, most of us went through the turmoil of being offered a job, only for it to be taken away the next day, leaving us in suspense for a few days of whether we would have a job for the next year and if we didn't, where else could we apply?

Now one year on, internship is almost finished and it has been a great year to be honest. I have learnt loads...mostly practical (getting better and better with those ABG's for example) but also management wise. I'm currently doing geriatrics and it's been the best rotation learning wise. I'm also getting better/more comfortable in dealing with patients who start bawling their eyes out when i go into their room to get consent/put in iv line and dealing with families who aren't happy for various reasons...eg why didn't my relative have his/her scan yet?

I have also had to deal with an SHO being "mean" to me. I didn't say anything to other members of my team but thankfully, my Reg picked up on it and said she would have a word with the SHO in question.

So, this August I'm off to the UK for an F2 job. I'm a little apprehensive about it as I haven't worked in the NHS before and not sure what to expect but I'm also excited about the new year and looking forward to carrying out more new practical procedures - i would love to do a lumbar puncture for instance.

What have other intern's experiences been this last year? Where are you headed to from July 7th?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭sillymoo

brumindub wrote: »
    So this time last year, most of us went through the turmoil of being offered a job, only for it to be taken away the next day, leaving us in suspense for a few days of whether we would have a job for the next year and if we didn't, where else could we apply?

Now one year on, internship is almost finished and it has been a great year to be honest. I have learnt loads...mostly practical (getting better and better with those ABG's for example) but also management wise. I'm currently doing geriatrics and it's been the best rotation learning wise. I'm also getting better/more comfortable in dealing with patients who start bawling their eyes out when i go into their room to get consent/put in iv line and dealing with families who aren't happy for various reasons...eg why didn't my relative have his/her scan yet?

I have also had to deal with an SHO being "mean" to me. I didn't say anything to other members of my team but thankfully, my Reg picked up on it and said she would have a word with the SHO in question.

So, this August I'm off to the UK for an F2 job. I'm a little apprehensive about it as I haven't worked in the NHS before and not sure what to expect but I'm also excited about the new year and looking forward to carrying out more new practical procedures - i would love to do a lumbar puncture for instance.

What have other intern's experiences been this last year? Where are you headed to from July 7th?

It has very much been a year of ups and downs. The first 6 months were great, nice teams, felt involved in management, learned a lot of practical procedures as well as a lot of general medicine. The next 3 months were the hardest of my life for personal and professional reasons. I was on a pure service job and lost any confidence which I had built the past 6 months. Had to deal with my father being seriously ill and dying some time later (a lot pressure when your the only medic in the family). Thankfully my intern network were so supportive and I could take some time off (unpaid) to heal and the final 3 months have been good. I am slowly getting my confidence back. I don't feel at all ready for the step up to SHO but that will come and I know I will be OK. I am moving to a peripheral hospital which apparently has huge staffing issues and a lot of mental hours but I know the end is on sight as I will be on a GP scheme. GP will have it's own pressures but I am looking forward to them and leaving the hospital system.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭brumindub

I'm sorry to hear about your father sillymoo. Hope you are doing ok.

Well done on getting into the GP scheme!

Advertisement