Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Best van/jeep

Options
  • 04-06-2013 8:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭

hi, im wondering which is the best van/ small jeep i need one which is reliable doesn't use much fuel.it wont be used for much off road or heavy towing. i have a budget of about 3k or less
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭holdmybeer

I like the Hyundai Santa Fe, nice and reliable, good room and has pulling power. You should be able to get a decent one for 3k.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,289 ✭✭✭Supergurrier

Huge load carrying potential
    difference between even a swb van and any jeep though.

Worth considering depending what you are carrying

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭daylers

i was looking at renault kangoo 1.5dci or a Citroen Berlingo 1.6 hdi....any opinions on them?
    are they reliable?
    or would i be better off with a 1.9

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭Bpmull

daylers wrote: »
    i was looking at renault kangoo 1.5dci or a Citroen Berlingo 1.6 hdi....any opinions on them?
    are they reliable?
    or would i be better off with a 1.9

The 1.6hdi berlingo specially the 90bhp will be a nice reasonably well powered van compared with a 1.9 straight diesel. My grandad has a berlingo 1.9 and I was shocked at how underpowered they are.

Bpmull wrote: »
    The 1.6hdi berlingo specially the 90bhp will be a nice reasonably well powered van compared with a 1.9 straight diesel. My grandad has a berlingo 1.9 and I was shocked at how underpowered they are.

what are the 1.6hdi like for reliability tho?

• Advertisement

holdmybeer wrote: »
    I like the Hyundai Santa Fe, nice and reliable, good room and has pulling power. You should be able to get a decent one for 3k.

what kinda mpg would you get out of a santa fe?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,316 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

what are the 1.6hdi like for reliability tho?

Not as good as the 1.9, they're particular about their service history (specific type of low ash engine oil only etc) but once looked after, they're not bad.

I'd look for the 2.0Hdi. More power than the 1.6 and the reliability of the 1.9.

BX 19 wrote: »
    Not as good as the 1.9, they're particular about their service history (specific type of low ash engine oil only etc) but once looked after, they're not bad.

I'd look for the 2.0Hdi. More power than the 1.6 and the reliability of the 1.9.

how would the 2.0Hdi be on diesel compared to 1.6?

you can get an older 1.9tdi vw caddy for not much money...are they any good tho?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,289 ✭✭✭Supergurrier

Old caddy have a very low cab, berlingo would be a better bet afew years newer, the 1.6 is a better engine though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭The Pontiac

Would the Citroen Berlingo be a better bet than a Renault Kangoo?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,282 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

the 2.2 in the santa fe is starting to show up with head gasket problems in the 06-07 ones , It doesn't have a bad reputation at present but check for a full service history if buying used.

the 1.6HDi has some stories about it but appears to be alright if its serviced on the button , so make sure it had an oil change every 10,000km (i think thats the interval) and you should be fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭Bpmull

Would the Citroen Berlingo be a better bet than a Renault Kangoo?

My dad has had both about 4 kangoos that were 00-03 this was in 2004 and he had two berlingo 2002 ones that was about 2005. All the vans were very reliable. Granted one of the berlingos was written off as one of the lads got a puncture and somehow managed to bend the chassis. Only thing is they were all 1.9 so hard to tell about the 1.5 kangoo probably would need to be minded a bit more but should be reliable enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

I'd recommend a Transit Connect, you should get a decent one for €3k.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭The Pontiac

I'd recommend a Transit Connect, you should get a decent one for €3k.

Was thing the same thing.

It's just the French vans look great value, but maybe there's a reason for that.

Was thing the same thing.

It's just the French vans look great value, but maybe there's a reason for that.

what are they like for reliability and are they as light on fuel as the smaller french vans?

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭sanbrafyffe

have had,opel combo,,good little driver,few stupid problems
    citreon berlingo,,older she got i was always fixing her
    renault kangoo,,,oh jasus dont start,,these are sensor maniacs

now a fiat doblo 1.3mjtd,,,,all i can say is fiat from now on

http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/commercials/5135448

http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/commercials/5015458

http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/commercials/5094492

http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/commercials/5077211

• Registered Users Posts: 9,316 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

how would the 2.0Hdi be on diesel compared to 1.6?

As good. I've got 56mpg out of an 110bhp 2.0HDi Xantia occasionally. Should imagine that a Berlingo is much the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

hi, im wondering which is the best van/ small jeep i need one which is reliable doesn't use much fuel.it wont be used for much off road or heavy towing.
    Tbh, a jeep wouldn't be my choice if mpg is a concern and I wasn't going to go off road.
    What loads are you planning to take? Would an estate work?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,221 ✭✭✭NuckingFacker

I love the expression "new van forces sale". Fair enough, but what forced the new van?? was the old one clapped...

• Advertisement

biko wrote: »
    Tbh, a jeep wouldn't be my choice if mpg is a concern and I wasn't going to go off road.
    What loads are you planning to take? Would an estate work?

just carrying a load of tools in the back the whole time and pulling the odd trailer ,the most off roading id be doing is driving across a few fields so i think a van would be best

Advertisement