Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Setting up life in Letterkenny!

• 04-06-2013 8:01pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 274 ✭✭

Hi all,

My plan is to study "computer Engineering" in Letterkenny college for 3 years and move into the student accommodation.

I am moving from Meath area, however, i have relatives ( most of my family ) living in Donegal and surrounding area, so letterkenny i am familiar with.

I am wanting to know from peoples experience what apartments are best to rent out and if you are doing the same course as me! Would be great to chat, we could perhaps share an apartment or go for a pint! :D

Let me know,

Cheers Lads,

Jordan.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭hairyprincess

Can't help you on either point, but there's a students union page on Facebook, maybe put a post up there, you may get more feedback.

Good luck! :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 3 DjTallon

Well lad, great decision on moving to letterkenny i love it, i just completed my first year in letterkenny, i stayed in ballyraine halls - its not 5* accomadation but the best place to go to get set up with new friends etc. and the partying is top class. So id reccomend ye do that for the first year anyway, look for a house elsewere in 2nd year when ur settled down, i travel up from meath aswell and its great to get away from here ha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 502 ✭✭✭ifeelill

I'd avoid the apartment vibe Ashlawn, Swilly park, Oaklands park are all areas directly across the road from the college and you'd be looking at €35 - €40 per week for a room (Excluding utilities).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,264 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

DjTallon wrote: »
    Well lad, great decision on moving to letterkenny i love it, i just completed my first year in letterkenny, i stayed in ballyraine halls - its not 5* accomadation but the best place to go to get set up with new friends etc. and the partying is top class. So id reccomend ye do that for the first year anyway, look for a house elsewere in 2nd year when ur settled down, i travel up from meath aswell and its great to get away from here ha

Did you get all your deposit back?

spurious wrote: »

Does any student renting in Letterkenny ?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,264 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

ifeelill wrote: »
    Does any student renting in Letterkenny ?

Some do, but it seems it's nothing to do with breakages. My friend's son can't work out on what basis the deductions were made from his. 'Electricity' is the standard answer, but at least one guy who trashed his place (holes in the ceiling etc.) got his full deposit back.

I know they can do nothing about it now, but it seems a very unsatisfactory system when they tell students they will be told if they are approaching the electricity limit, but tell them nothing and then hockey the deposit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭WarZoneBrother

Few of my mates lived in ballyraine halls and only got like 35euro deposit back.. They also tried ringing and emailing dermot or whatever his name is and he never answered the phone...

I know they can do nothing about it now

I dont know mate. Is there a statute of limitations on taking cases to the PRTB ?

I dont know if there is. My story is similar to most id say, i was renting in LK and the landlord took all but €150 from a €600 deposit. Needless to say i knew we had him over a barrel. I've rented before and with every tenancy i had, the landlord would register me with the PRTB as being a renter. This didn't happen this time and when push came to shove with the landlord in LK we told him (politely) that we would be taking the matter up with the PRTB. Me and my house mate figured that if this guy wasn't registered with the PRTB that there was a good chance that he was not paying tax to revenue. After we had informed him about our intentions to take the case he refunded us out deposit in full.

EPIC WIN !

The point here is that their are unscrupulous people out there renting in the student market and they are taking advantage of ignorant renters. No one expects a 17-18-19 year old to know their rights or even know how to take a case to the PRTB. There needs to be more leadership here with the LYIT Students Union.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 hannahcassidy8

off subject here, but need a housemate, im 18 year old female.

Advertisement