Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So Aliens do exist. It seems.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭john why

Is this real .
    It Seems very strange

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭thecommander

A comment on Reddit about this;
    Paul Hellyer has been retired out of government work for many years. And his "research" came from a widely-discredited book by Phillip Corso, after Hellyer retired and had free time to engage in fantasies, by the way. He hasn't provided a shred of evidence for his claims. Hellyer's specific claims are problematic, and have been examined in some detail by John B. Alexander in his book UFOs: Myths, Conspiracies and Realities. It's freely available for torrent if you wish to read it (or borrow it from your library). We don't know how Hellyer met his alleged "source". We also don't know if this information was relayed to him straight from the source, or from a friend of a friend who knows his aunt's cousin who...

• Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭ZeRoY

The simple fact that no proper scientific organisation or even news outlets aren't covering this utter nonsense is all you need to process the video - The Tall White nonsense has been around for quite a while...

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭alphabeat

thats it ^^^^ keep your head in the sand

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭longhalloween

alphabeat wrote: »
    thats it ^^^^ keep your head in the sand

Or keep your head in the clouds?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭maguffin

A little fuel for the fire.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o2CanB_xVR4

ZeRoY wrote: »
    The simple fact that no proper scientific organisation or even news outlets aren't covering this utter nonsense is all you need to process the video - The Tall White nonsense has been around for quite a while...

Thats what they want you to believe......
    I wont be getting rid of my tin foil hat just yet....
    Dont mention the Contrails..............:D

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭apollo8

Its only been revealed now that the UK had a UFO desk but closed it four years ago due to lack of evidence.they blame many reported sightings on chinese lanterns:pac:

by Staff Writers
    London (AFP) June 21, 2013

Britain's defence ministry shut down its UFO unit four years ago after concluding that extra-terrestrials likely did not exist, and in any case did not pose a threat, previously secret files released Friday showed.

The Ministry of Defence (MoD) closed its hotline in 2009 despite a trebling of reported sightings of Unidentified Flying Objects (UFOs) that year, many of them near national landmarks.

In a briefing for then defence minister Bob Ainsworth, civil servant Carl Mantell said the UFO desk was using up increasing amounts of staff time but had "no valuable defence output".

He wrote in a memo that in more than 50 years, "no UFO sighting reported to (MoD) has ever revealed anything to suggest an extra-terrestrial presence or military threat to the UK".

http://www.space-travel.com/reports/Britain_shut_down_UFO_desk_after_finding_no_threat_files_999.html

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭sky23

apollo8 wrote: »
    Its only been revealed now that the UK had a UFO desk but closed it four years ago due to lack of evidence.they blame many reported sightings on chinese lanterns:pac:

by Staff Writers
    London (AFP) June 21, 2013

http://www.space-travel.com/reports/Britain_shut_down_UFO_desk_after_finding_no_threat_files_999.html

just wait for the conspiracy theorys

Chinese lanterns contain satellite trackers..............:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭sky23

Chinese lanterns contain satellite trackers..............:)

and can they beam microwaves into your brain so the lizard people can control your mind

sky23 wrote: »
    and can they beam microwaves into your brain so the lizard people can control your mind

You betcha they can, thats how I lost my dog....... They got him good, never thought to make him a hat...............:)

I miss old Rover...............

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭maguffin

maguffin wrote: »

MK Ultra here we come....................................:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭chips1234

sorry dont mean to hijack this thread, but also didnt want to start another aliens/search for life in the universe thread.

whats everyones opinions on this article on yahoo http://uk.news.yahoo.com/new-hunt-for-aliens-who-%E2%80%9Cmove-stars%E2%80%9D-150112482.html

to me it seems quite far out there and something out of a sci fi movie ? pretty shocked that this is how the uk version of SETI is going to be searching for ET life.

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭MeteoritesEire

seems pretty far out there to me too
    The article is specious
    Dr. Forgan seems to enjoy the media spotlight http://www.roe.ac.uk/~dhf/Home.html --seems like hype to me

The real search for ET has already begun on Mars and will continue when spacecraft are sent to Europa and other moons with good potential

Bit late but just read it.....
    One never knows I suppose...........
    After all what is real and what is not.
    On a different note, why not download the BOINC software and then you can help the SETI project just by having their screensaver do so processing when your PC is idle....................
    You just never know, you might be the discoverer of newfound lifeforms.........

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭maninasia

seems pretty far out there to me too
    The article is specious
    Dr. Forgan seems to enjoy the media spotlight http://www.roe.ac.uk/~dhf/Home.html --seems like hype to me

The real search for ET has already begun on Mars and will continue when spacecraft are sent to Europa and other moons with good potential

Actually it hasn't begun yet, the current probe to Mars and the next probe to Mars (as currently intended) do not have an ability to confirm the presence of living organisms to any great degree. Strangely NASA has been more focused on detecting 'signs of past life', not 'signs of present life'. I know there are scientists agitating for NASA to cop on (for instance by including a nucleic acid sequencer in the next probe) and start getting busy instead of pussy footing around!

The article concludes 'life could have come from Mars'.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-23591470

Well if it came from Mars why didn't it just come from outer space in the first place, with it's trillions of possible life seeding locations?

The research is a nice piece of work though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Weathering

maninasia wrote: »
    The article concludes 'life could have come from Mars'.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-23591470

Well if it came from Mars why didn't it just come from outer space in the first place, with it's trillions of possible life seeding locations?

The research is a nice piece of work though.

Seems hard to believe/Utter BS. No disrespect to you

• Advertisement

Which part seems hard to believe, that life came from Mars or outer space?

Both are perfectly plausible and have serious scientific minds and research backing them up.

My point is this, if somebody points to Mars and says 'life evolved on Mars first then seeded Earth' (perfectly plausible), then what is stopping people saying 'life evolved somewhere else and seeded Mars and then Earth'. Even more plausible.

Why do you think this is not possible?
    Do you think the solar system just sits there in space without moving or interacting with far flung objects? We are moving in 3D space around the galaxy and also up and down across the plane of the galaxy.

Do you think that we are not part of a greater galaxy and greater universe?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,547 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

I too have no idea why some scientists are pushing this Mars idea so much.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Occam's_razor

Pick the hypothesis with the fewest assumptions.

There isn't a shred of evidence pointing at the hypothesis that life originated on Mars.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

The odd thing I have found is that a lot of folks who accept "life started on Mars" types of theories are now so blinkered that they cannot see any other opinion. (Not everyone of course just the more vocal ones) Why couldn't life actually start on Earth? or Venus? Or Titan? Or elsewhere?

Personally I will continue to believe life on Earth started on Earth, but I am keeping an open mind. Lets see some evidence one way or another, until then please keep an open viewpoint.

Rubecula wrote: »
    The odd thing I have found is that a lot of folks who accept "life started on Mars" types of theories are now so blinkered that they cannot see any other opinion. (Not everyone of course just the more vocal ones) Why couldn't life actually start on Earth? or Venus? Or Titan? Or elsewhere?

Personally I will continue to believe life on Earth started on Earth, but I am keeping an open mind. Lets see some evidence one way or another, until then please keep an open viewpoint.

Yes, an open viewpoint is good as there is a lack of evidence either way,

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,424 Mod ✭✭✭✭slade_x

The odd thing I have found is that a lot of folks who accept "life started on Mars" types of theories are now so blinkered that they cannot see any other opinion.

From what i have been made aware of is that most involved in that debate, those of which actively research it claim a possibility not an empirical fact.

Other than earth what is the most actively studied planet?
    Why couldn't life actually start on Earth? or Venus? Or Titan? Or elsewhere?

A very difficult question to answer with certainty but however annoyingly a very easy one for almost anyone to take a proverbial stab at. Life started in conditions with which those conditions where conducive for life to start.

But of course thats not an adequate enough answer. One of the many elusive answers remains elusive because almost all the research into it was based on this planet, its history and conditions believed to have existed in its primordial to its present state, so far not only is there a massive gap in knowledge there but theres also the problem that those early earthly conditions were seemingly not conducive to how they think life could have started. And maybe thats why we dont have an answer yet. most of especially the very early work presumed earth as the likely source of life because, well, thats where we know life exists for certain (the type of life we are familiar with).

Why couldn't life actually start on Earth? Thats the first and longest place we have looked for its origin, some know we dont have all the information, others make assumptions on that lack of information and assert divine intervention.

Venus? Or Titan? Or elsewhere? Unfortunately we are not at a point where we can study "elsewhere" with the same level of involvement that we have done so on mars. The same also applies to Venus and Titan. Although titan is particularly interesting based on chemical experiments and simulations. Personally i am most intrigued by Europa, maybe not so much for the origin of inorganic to organic chemistry but certainly what life it may hold

BBC have a follow up article based on the theory proposed at the goldschmidt meeting this year

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-23872765

And you're right an open mind is absolutely the right approach. Of course there is also the issue that maybe just maybe there is no clear platform with which we can say "yes thats the origin of life" because "yes thats where life actually started" is a bit of a different statement.

Is it a clearly defined place with which it all came together, or is it a panspermic concoction by which i mean, many many different platforms with many chemistries from many sources which in themselves were only partial minute steps in that which was required for the eventual origin of life, not just where the spark occured. To contrast with lets say, inorganic to organic happened solely on one planet/ moon, etc and then seeded other bodies. the all your eggs in almost one basket.

As one can see from the simulation of our solar system travelling through the galaxy we've had plenty of opportunities to interact with far flung parts of the galaxy. At the same time there are also millions of other solar systems whizzing through space, as well as comets, meteors, dust particles, brown dwarfs etc.

So we are simply not as isolated as is the common belief of the Earth.

Given that we aren't actually isolated, and that there are very likely many places where life started and spread out, then there is no reason to disciminate against the panspermia hypothesis, especially if one looks at the abilities of bacteria to survive in an extremely wide ranges of environments, including vacuum, radiation, high pressures and temperatures and subsist on a huge range of energy sources.

Simply put, bacteria could spread on common vehicles such as icy comets (contain dust and ice which alternatively sublimes according to how close they are to stars) which over time may bombard solar systems in different parts of the galaxy bacteria have the ability to rapidly evolve to different environments and this may be the key. Comets can swing in and out on massive orbits through the solar system, picking up and discarding material as they travel.

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭MeteoritesEire

since becoming involved in meteorites about 15 years ago I have been more and more convinced that life on Earth was seeded from space.

a certain group of meteorites called carbonaceous chondrites contain amino acids.Apparently 77 have been found in Allende and Murchison, 22 of which are found in every living thing on Earth.

It's not endorsed by science just yet but it seems awfully coincidental that all these biological and nonbiological proteins are floating around in space and have bombarded our planet for billions of years.

couple of links:

This first one is especially relevant to the discussion.It gets somewhat technical in talking about chirality, radiation and racemization but the bottom line is that amino acids can and have survived in the interstellar medium since before the formation of our solar system and they can remain intact and viable vis a vis chirality.

http://arxiv.org/ftp/arxiv/papers/1007/1007.4529.pdf

http://articles.adsabs.harvard.edu//full/1991Metic..26..117T/0000126.000.html

http://www.pnas.org/content/96/16/8835.full

Advertisement