Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Photography Competition €500 in cash prizes

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,684 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

Usual rights grab, though at least they're up front about it :-D
    7. Copyright in all images submitted for this competition remains with the respective entrants. However, in consideration of having provided the Competition, each entrant grants a worldwide, irrevocable, perpetual licence to The Táin March Committee, and Ferdia Fine Foods Ltd, (Ferdia Chocolate, sponsors) to feature any or all of the submitted images in any publications, websites, and to use them for any publicity or promotional purpose. Part of the reason we are organising this competition is to get access to a store of photographs we can use to promote the Táin March and Táin Summer Festival

(emphasis mine)

Though they will, ahem, 'give photo credits where possible'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,569 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

Edit: DQ Bet me to it :)

Also, this is a nice touch!
    Photographs relating to Ferdia Chocolate, the competition's sponsors.

This category is for images that relate to Ferdia Chocolate, the competition's sponsors. For the duration of the competition Ferdia will be happy to give access to their premises in Ardee, Co Louth to photograph the process of making, packing and dispatching their delicious gourmet chocolates. Ever wanted to visit a chocolate factory? :) Now's your chance! This category could include shots of people enjoying Ferdia Chocolates, the chocolates on display in retailers nationwide, set-up shots, styled shots, in fact, anything at all that relates to Ferdia Chocolates, our sponsors.

Tallon wrote: »
    Edit: DQ Bet me to it :)

Also, this is a nice touch!

Hah yeah. I liked that. WE WANTZ THE FREE PROMOTIONAL MATERIAL THAT WE CAN USES FOR EVAR.

1tex5.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

Are they giving out free chocolate? I'd be happy to credit them where possible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 Pat McArdle

The Táin March is run by a voluntary committee that has no money.
    The committee members give up a huge amount of time to doing something to benefit the community. It's very hard to promote something like the Táin March without images. It's a very visually striking spectacle. Rights grab, it may be, but unless the "world-wide, irrevocable etc." wording is used, we can't put the images on our website or facebook page, or on next year's poster, because that's all we're really talking about. That, and sending images with press releases that are never published.

I'm a hobby photographer myself (not a very good one) and I get a great kick out of seeing any Images I've shot being published. I appreciate that other people might not feel the same. In defence of the committee and Ferdia Chocolate, €300 is a pretty good first prize, to my thinking at least. I can't think of another competition that was held in the North East with a better first prize. D.Q. quoted paragraph 7 in its entirety, apart from the bit about the Táin March Committee being a voluntary one. We DO appreciate every entry and we WILL give a photo credit where possible, but sometimes it's out of our control.

We were upfront about what we were doing at all times.
    "Part of the reason we are organising this competition is to get access to a store of photographs we can use to promote the Táin March and Táin Summer Festival. The Táin March is a voluntary committee and we appreciate every entry. We will give photo credits where possible."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭mdebets

The committee members give up a huge amount of time to doing something to benefit the community. It's very hard to promote something like the Táin March without images. It's a very visually striking spectacle. Rights grab, it may be, but unless the "world-wide, irrevocable etc." wording is used, we can't put the images on our website or facebook page, or on next year's poster, because that's all we're really talking about. That, and sending images with press releases that are never published.
    But that's not what your T&Cs are saying. They are also giving explicitly the same rights to Ferdia Fine Foods Ltd, who can then use the photos for free to be used in their advertisement (I think that's especially what Category 3 is for) and for that, a max of 300€ is not a good price.

You might also run into legal troubles if you use these photos for advertisement (either for the march itself or if Ferdia Fine Foods Ltd are using them), if one of the subjects in a photo decides to sue you for use of their picture. I doubt that many people entering such a contest know anything about model releases and I doubt your T&Cs are enough to indemnify you from the photographer (I might be wrong on this, but if I am it will mean that it might be a very expensive experience for the photographer of that picture).

Advertisement