Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Found a ring in the garden - unknown language

Options
  • 04-06-2013 3:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

Hi there,

I found a ring in the back garden in Cork yesterday which was a locket type silver ring. When I opened it I found a folded up piece of paper inside. I have attached a photo of the circular piece of paper.
    Does anyone know what language this is in and what it means?

It looks like Arabic - I have also posted this in the boards.ie language forum so apologies if you are reading this twice.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭darjeeling

Could it be a representation of the Buddhist Dharma wheel? The eight spokes and central hub made me think of that. I couldn't guess at the script, so would be looking at anywhere from Tibet to Cambodia.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭blackthorn

Hi Badlib,

It's Arabic alright. The word in the centre looks like Fatimid or Fatimeed. I can't make head nor tail of the other words, but then I'm not a native speaker/reader. Hopefully someone will be able to help you with the other words. It's an interesting one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭hivizman

If you turn the segment at the bottom anti-clockwise through 90 degrees, it looks rather like "Allah" written without the various vowel and other markings that appear in a full version of the word الله‎ .

Look here for a similar writing of "Allah" in arabic.

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭mmalaka

It is not very clear...they looks like arabic scripts but also it could be Farsi (Iran) as they use arabic scripts too but not same as Arabian countries

• Registered Users Posts: 33 KerryIslamKIOS

It can be arabic or persian or even urdu as they all start from the right side and have similar kind of letters.

There is a thing called "amulet" and it has been used in some cultures and countries for evil/spirits etc.

Although I do not believe in this kind of stuff at all but this page and its writing seems like that stuff to me.

Dont think its any way near word Allah or any other names of Allah in arabic called "Asma al Husna"

Peace be upon all of you and have a lovey warm weekend from Kerry :)

Follow us on www.facebook.com/kerry.islam
    and
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Kerry-Islamic-outreach-Society/358124837635976?ref=stream

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 Badlib

Thanks for your replies.

I have spoken to a few work colleagues (Moroccan, Algerian, and Iranian) and all agree it's arabic lettering but are unsure of the meaning of the words. I was told it's possibly a good luck (or bad luck) charm - hopefully the former!

I have sent it on to a Pakistani colleague to see if he thinks it's urdu but haven't heard back yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭wasim21k

it is definitely not urdu or punjabi,

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭shantolog

With all due respect perhaps it could be something like Elvish. While not a natural language it does look quite similar to your picture, maybe you found some Tolkien fan's prank :), discovering a ring with a message and all that.

Although people tend to see what they want so maybe thats just what I want to see :) I hope this might explain my suggestion a little better...

http://www.wikihow.com/Write-in-Elvish

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

Just a thought, but Sanskrit?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 momo25

That is definitely not Arabic as I am from Algeria and I know Arabic very well, Persian use the same letters as Arabic so I would say it is Persian the language they speak in Iran.

• Advertisement
Advertisement