Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dogs on Killiney Beach

Options
  • 04-06-2013 12:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,654 ✭✭✭✭

Does anyone know if dogs are allowed on Killiney beach in the swimming area during the summer days if they're on a leash?

Reading the most recent bye laws, http://www.dlrcoco.ie/media/media,7516,en.pdf
    and from looking at the map http://www.dlrcoco.ie/media/media,7511,en.pdf
    it would seem that they're not.

However, at 5.20pm yesterday there were 2 dog owners who were quite relaxed with their dogs in the designated swimming area so I thought that it must be allowed if they're on a leash?

33m0h05.jpg
    2r4khp1.jpg
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,493 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Did you walk up the to the man, tap him on the shoulder and say 'excuse me sit, your dog isnt supposed to be here'?

Because you wont see the Gardai coming down to do it. Or the County council.

If people break the rules they break the rules. If the rules arent enforced, then in this country they will be ignored.

Not that this is much good to you obviously but c'est la vie....It happens all over Dublin, and in the case of rogue dog owners, I am guessing Killiney is the type of place you will encounter them least...if there were only 2 dogs, you were doing well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

According to the link they are not allowed on at all.

Did you say it to them at all?

IMO this thread is pointless, troll like as you'll get 2 camps posting; those that oppose this ban on dogs and those that agree 100% with it. Nothing but arguements will come from it, sorry

• Registered Users Posts: 6,493 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

RosieJoe wrote: »

IMO this thread is pointless, troll like as you'll get 2 camps posting; those that oppose this ban on dogs and those that agree 100% with it. Nothing but arguements will come from it, sorry

Agreed.

The rules are there.

The rules are there to be broken.

Two diametrically opposed camps.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,654 ✭✭✭✭josip

RosieJoe wrote: »

No, I didn't say it to them because I wasn't familiar with the new beach bye laws and when I saw the 2nd dog I thought that perhaps something had changed.

I came here to look for confirmation about the bye laws, not to troll. If you have a problem with my post, please report it to a mod rather than posting comments such as the above.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

I haven't been to Killiney this summer, but the rules were no dogs between 10 and 7 June to September.

There is/was an area Seafield end where dogs are allowed though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,309 ✭✭✭✭ted1

no dog allowed.

and as a personal note, i really hate those pikey looking dogs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

ted1 wrote: »
    no dog allowed.

The black one or the one wearing the orange hoodie? Sorry, I'll get my coat :P

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

no dog allowed.

I assume you mean bull breed dogs. They are not everyones cup of tea but at least you can see him coming for you, the little yapping rats that go for your ankles are far worse IMO. But then again, in both instances, the issue is those holding the leash, not attached to it ;)

No dogs allowed on the beach, not that anyone who tends to use that beach cares. Both polar ends of the social spectrum go there and both think they are above any and all laws, so you would actually get told to F off by either set.

there the ones, they just look like they shouldn't be around kids, vicious looking things.

very few of the owners even bother to muzzle them as they are legally obliged to.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    Did you walk up the to the man, tap him on the shoulder and say 'excuse me sit, your dog isnt supposed to be here'?

Because you wont see the Gardai coming down to do it. Or the County council.
    Just looking at the back of him, and the dog, I would not have confronted him like that, its asking for trouble. Before people jump on me, yes I am prejudiced, sensibly prejudiced from past experiences, just like I prejudge a little old lady might need help with her shopping.

The better thing to say would be "you'd want to watch it with the dog down here, did you know its against the law, I got fined last week". (or whatever the punishment is meant to be)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 Fortune cookie

We brought our three dogs on Sunday, unaware of the rules.. They are two chihuahuas and a yorkie. As we got to the steps down to the beach we saw the sign.. Our two daughters were so disappointed when we had to return to the car 😩 But rules are rules!! When we drove past the steps there was a guy walking a huge black dog down the steps!!! Our girls were asking why is he allowed to bring his dog and we can't 😡😡😡 people would drive you mad!!! Thank goodness for Marley park

• Registered Users Posts: 2,564 ✭✭✭frash

We brought our three dogs on Sunday, unaware of the rules.. They are two chihuahuas and a yorkie. As we got to the steps down to the beach we saw the sign.. Our two daughters were so disappointed when we had to return to the car 😩 But rules are rules!! When we drove past the steps there was a guy walking a huge black dog down the steps!!! Our girls were asking why is he allowed to bring his dog and we can't 😡😡😡 people would drive you mad!!! Thank goodness for Marley park

You should go to Killiney Hill - dogs allowed off lead there

edit: sorry just realised this thread is 3 years old

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭PucaMama

there the ones, they just look like they shouldn't be around kids, vicious looking things.

very few of the owners even bother to muzzle them as they are legally obliged to.
    Idiotic comment. I'd be more wary of you around children than my Stafford.

PucaMama wrote: »
    Idiotic comment. I'd be more wary of you around children than my Stafford.

That's a very idiotic comment. They are the dog if choice it council estate chavs that have no experience of dogs and get them to make them look tough.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/05/19/nine-children-bitten-by-dog-in-northumberland-park-left-like-a-w/

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/1288216/teen-girls-15-and-16-attacked-by-staffordshire-bull-terrier-while-they-were-out-riding/

And don't forget pit bulls http://m.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/garda-who-thought-he-would-die-when-viciously-attacked-by-dogs-awarded-200k-34434393.html

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭PucaMama

How many people were bitten by small dogs? See that won't make headlines like demonising staffies and pit bulls does.

I have 4 dogs all rescues I don't live in a council estate and I'm not a chav because I'm not living in England. The only dog ever to bite me was a small terrier and that was an accident when I broke up a fight.

Advertisement