Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sky sports just for the Lions

Options
  • 04-06-2013 10:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,963 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know if Sky will let you sign up to sports just for the Lions series?
    I already have a sky dish but have no interest in keeping sports after the lions series?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

No help to you, but on UPC you can ring up and get Sports switched on, keep it for two weeks and then switch it off again. It incurs a €10 'downgrade fee' but since that's only the equivalent of 10 days subscription, it's worth it.

I'll be cancelling mine the day after the third test and will re-activate it the day before the Heineken Cup kicks off in October.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 676 ✭✭✭Dietsquirt

No help to you, but on UPC you can ring up and get Sports switched on, keep it for two weeks and then switch it off again. It incurs a €10 'downgrade fee' but since that's only the equivalent of 10 days subscription, it's worth it.

I'll be cancelling mine the day after the third test and will re-activate it the day before the Heineken Cup kicks off in October.

Sneaky, never knew you could do that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,684 ✭✭✭JustinDee

I've done that before for State of Origin coverage. Its a monthly fee so you may as well keep for the billing month.
    I've kept it on since because of the amount of cricket on, especially The Ashes this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

Anyone managed with UPC to get a few couple of months of Sky Sports by threteneing to quit or to try it out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Wils110

Does anyone know if Sky will let you sign up to sports just for the Lions series?
    I already have a sky dish but have no interest in keeping sports after the lions series?

Yes you can,1 month minimum term for the sports

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭wavehopper1

SkyGo monthly ticket? Can only watch on laptop though (it detects HDMI cable to TV and disables).
    It's really for if you don't have Sky already, I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,187 ✭✭✭✭Buer

SkyGo monthly ticket? Can only watch on laptop though (it detects HDMI cable to TV and disables).

VGA cable?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭Leslie91

This monthly ticket.... is it €50 for the mth to get the Sports channels?

Leslie91 wrote: »
    This monthly ticket.... is it €50 for the mth to get the Sports channels?

Yes, 50. I couldn't see an option to only take Sports and not get Movies - it's all in the one "entertainment package".

Buer wrote: »
    VGA cable?

I'm not sure. Basically, the conditions say it's only for laptops and smart devices, and they go to some lengths to ensure you can't use it on a TV.
    But I believe that people who have xbox or the like, and can use a browser on their TV screen - they're okay as they can view via the browser.

• Advertisement

Yes, 50. I couldn't see an option to only take Sports and not get Movies - it's all in the one "entertainment package".

Tks... anyone know how much it would cost to have UPC switch it on for the mth?... it's then €10 to switch it off is that right?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭kenco

One of the reasons I quit UPC was that to turn Sky Sports on for a month involved €10 activation and deactivation so €20 down before you pay the monthly sub....

No such charge with Sky.
    _

kenco wrote: »
    One of the reasons I quit UPC was that to turn Sky Sports on for a month involved €10 activation and deactivation so €20 down before you pay the monthly sub....

No such charge with Sky.
    _

There is no activation fee to switch Sky Sports on. There is a €10 downgrade fee alright.

On the other hand, the monthly fee with UPC (€34) includes ESPN whereas Sky charges extra, as far as I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭S Barrett

I got Sky Sports from UPC on Friday and it is costing me €17 per month for the next 2 months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

Ring Sky and order Sky Sports. When they ask if there's anything else they can help you with, tell them you want to cancel Sky Sports. There's a month notification period, so you'll have it for the month. You'll need to wait until the 6th to do this, as the 3rd test is on the 6th of July. Alternatively order now for tomorrow's match and cancel evening of the 6th.

S Barrett wrote: »
    I got Sky Sports from UPC on Friday and it is costing me €17 per month for the next 2 months.

On its own?.... and what will deactivation fee should you cancel at end of 2 mth period?, or have u committed to 12 mths?

Leslie91 wrote: »
    On its own?.... and what will deactivation fee should you cancel at end of 2 mth period?, or have u committed to 12 mths?

There is no deactivation fee. I will ring them up at the end of the 2 months and cancel it. End of story.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

There is no deactivation fee. I will ring them up at the end of the 2 months and cancel it. End of story.

Is it a 2 month trial? Or is the €17/month an introductory price and after that it reverts to €34/month? I was checking it out on the UPC site here http://www.upc.ie/television/channels/Sport/ and it does say in the conditions that
    A €10 Downgrade Administration Fee will be applied anytime you downgrade any element of your service.

I guess you are a new customer to UPC?... I can only see them offering the above to a new customer who is committing to 12 mths minimum, with the added bonus of getting the Sports for 2 mths at half price which is cancellable without penalty. Or should u choose to keep it then price will be €34 per mth after that 2 mth period.

For existing customers there is no deal, one can get it for €34 for the mth and €10 to get rid of it then.

Zzippy wrote: »
    Is it a 2 month trial? Or is the €17/month an introductory price and after that it reverts to €34/month? I was checking it out on the UPC site here http://www.upc.ie/television/channels/Sport/ and it does say in the conditions that

It is a half price deal at the moment, hence the €17 a month fee. There was no mention of a de activation fee.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,684 ✭✭✭JustinDee

It is a half price deal at the moment, hence the €17 a month fee. There was no mention of a de activation fee.
    Yes, there is a downgrade fee of €10.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

Buyer beware, €10 downgrade fee in the terms.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

chris85 wrote: »
    Buyer beware, €10 downgrade fee in the terms.

Would it not be easier to just go to the pub?

First Up wrote: »
    Would it not be easier to just go to the pub?

At half ten on a Saturday morning?! Blaaah.

At half ten on a Saturday morning?! Blaaah.

Why not? The serious sports pubs like the Goat will be all geared up for it. Have a late breakfast and enjoy! Seems an awful lot easier than the stuff with Sky and UPC described here.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,187 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Agreed. Test series is all at midday. I'm happy enough to walk 5 minutes to the nearest pub to watch it properly on a big screen television rather than fork out for a subscription or risk a shaky internet stream. No intention of drinking at that time but more than happy to have an orange juice and a sandwich and enjoy it in comfort.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭ispini1984

testicle wrote: »
    Ring Sky and order Sky Sports. When they ask if there's anything else they can help you with, tell them you want to cancel Sky Sports. There's a month notification period, so you'll have it for the month. You'll need to wait until the 6th to do this, as the 3rd test is on the 6th of July. Alternatively order now for tomorrow's match and cancel evening of the 6th.

Does this work? Have sky at home so would be a handy treat for Dad

Buer wrote: »
    Agreed. Test series is all at midday. I'm happy enough to walk 5 minutes to the nearest pub to watch it properly on a big screen television rather than fork out for a subscription or risk a shaky internet stream. No intention of drinking at that time but more than happy to have an orange juice and a sandwich and enjoy it in comfort.

I have Sky Sports at home but that's my plan too!

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭davidpfitz

I'm not sure. Basically, the conditions say it's only for laptops and smart devices, and they go to some lengths to ensure you can't use it on a TV.
    But I believe that people who have xbox or the like, and can use a browser on their TV screen - they're okay as they can view via the browser.

I have a mini display port to HDMI cable I use, and that plays Sky Go from my Macbook on to the TV, no issues.

It does block an iPad from outputting over HDMI though.

NowTV would be another option (owned by Sky).
    http://www.nowtv.com

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Wils110

There is no activation fee to switch Sky Sports on. There is a €10 downgrade fee alright.

On the other hand, the monthly fee with UPC (€34) includes ESPN whereas Sky charges extra, as far as I know.

Comes with the sports pack.

Advertisement