Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UCD vs TCD

Options
  • 04-06-2013 12:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭

If you've been torn as I am, which did you pick and why!?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭sganyfx

TCD wins every time.

Better on the league tables.
    Internationally more respected than UCD.
    A target university for the most selective and elite firms.

• Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭kingcobra

UCD all the way for me. From what I've heard and what I've seen it's the place I want to go into every morning. The facilities there are absolutely top class and there are a wide variety of sports and societies that I can go and enjoy.
    Academically, they make Engineering (my chosen course) seem enjoyable and productive compared to Trinity, and they have very good international relations with other universities abroad.
    As far as rankings go, UCD may be a little behind Trinity but it really doesn't matter much at all. I've been told by numerous employers, and seen comments about them, and they don't care where a potential employee has gone to university, it's all about the how good their degree is (1.1, 1.2 etc.) and their engineering-related experiences including work experience.

Personally, I think there's not much at all between Trinity and UCD, certainly for most of the STEM courses. If I was going to spend 4+ years in either university, I would pick somewhere that makes me want to arrive there every single morning, and in turn that'll produce good grades plus a more beneficial experience of university :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

Tcd is generally know better internationally so if you have to emigrate chances are the foreign employer has heard of tcd but maybe not ucd.

But for law and business degrees UCDs buildings look amazing. My career guidance teacher said Dublin north siders prefer tcd as its handier to get to. Likewise south siders prefer ucd as its easier to get to

• Registered Users Posts: 23,318 ✭✭✭✭ted1

sganyfx wrote: »
    TCD wins every time.

Nonsense.

OP you need to think about the particular subject, what do you plan Studying

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

Very much dependent on the faculty you are in, what you are looking for, which you can more comfortably afford.

In terms of these arguments though, the best college is the one you can get up in the morning to and do well in, regardless of league tables and all the other nonsense.

sganyfx wrote: »
    TCD wins every time.

Tell me if I'm wrong, but you are not attending any third level institutes yet, are you?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭DipStick McSwindler

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,159 ✭✭✭yournerd

i fell in love with trinity at first sight but ive only researched law courses in ucd...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

yournerd wrote: »
    i fell in love with trinity at first sight but ive only researched law courses in ucd...

I think the law school in UCD will be amazing. Plus you have the option in UCD of doing something like business and law which is like 30 points less than the actual law.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Monsieur Folie

Originally I was TCD all the way, but I ended up putting TCD and UCD's science courses down 1st and 2nd (respectively). Trinity might have a bit more of a reputation and the prestige and all of that, but to be honest the science departments in both seem to be top notch so I'd be happy with UCD if I didn't get TCD.

It's all about the course; you should only really start worrying about colleges if you've found two courses that you like equally and are of equal value to you, then you pick by college.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,159 ✭✭✭yournerd

Ucd's law school wont be up till like spring next year so they have to be scattered in science and arts buildings.fun.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭SeanyboyQPR

I want to do law, but the two things putting me off Trinity are the distance of trinity halls from the college itself and the extra expense of daily commuting, law lecture are few and far between as there is a lot of independence as far as my research shows, and I don't want to be doing a whole pile of hanging around, whether its in the city centre or not...

As well as that there are also the widely known trinity stereotypes, something I don't want to experience as I would be going alone!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Monsieur Folie

I want to do law, but the two things putting me off Trinity are the distance of trinity halls from the college itself and the extra expense of daily commuting, law lecture are few and far between as there is a lot of independence as far as my research shows, and I don't want to be doing a whole pile of hanging around, whether its in the city centre or not...

As well as that there are also the widely known trinity stereotypes, something I don't want to experience as I would be going alone!

A stereotype is just that, a stereotype, and nothing more. Anytime I've been in the college the majority of the people mulling around were lovely and I saw very few of the "stereotypical" posh trinnerz students. So I wouldn't worry about that at all. I'll probably be going there, and I'm as far from the stereotype as you could probably get, and I'm sure many other people are in the same boat. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭Aspiring

Look if you walk into TCD you'll see everyone walking around is clearly half way up their own hole. We had a tour of the place and the lad walking us around was just the stereotype of TCD in person. They have a cricket pitch. Enough said.

UCD however, you walk around you see something like 4 is it GAA pitches, the amount of open area is ridiculous. Love it. It's a culchie's paradise.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 6,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoonyLovegood

Judge them for yourselves. Speaking as someone who goes to neither (but is hanging around here for the night because ye may need moral support), they've got their pros and cons. I know someone who went to Trinity and dropped out after three months because they hated it, I know someone who's happy in Trinity. I know someone who hated UCD, I know someone who loves it.

VERY BROADLY speaking, Trinity is seen as good for science and medicine, UCD for languages and arts and they're broadly equal on everything else. But that's a very, very, very broad outline, based on people I know/knew in both universities.

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Polka_Dot

A stereotype is just that, a stereotype, and nothing more. Anytime I've been in the college the majority of the people mulling around were lovely and I saw very few of the "stereotypical" posh trinnerz students. So I wouldn't worry about that at all. I'll probably be going there, and I'm as far from the stereotype as you could probably get, and I'm sure many other people are in the same boat. :)

I am a Trinity student and this is 100% true. You'll find Trinity stereotypes in all colleges, yeah there are a few in Trinity but they're a minority. Most people are lovely and just regular people!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭aramush

You'd be surprised by the amount of people who go to Trinity for vanity sake and end up dropping out anyway. My advice is to go for the course that suits you best, your university/IT will look after you the best they can after that :)

Edit: I'm not insinuating that you would be going for the purpose of vanity, it just seems to happen that people get caught up in the whole Trinity thing and then find out that there course isn't for them.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Aspiring wrote: »
    Look if you walk into TCD you'll see everyone walking around is clearly half way up their own hole.
    I wouldn't agree at all; actually, I've probably encountered that more in UCD (and the majority of people in both places are fine!)

And I didn't go to either college, so I don't have an axe to grind ... I did my undergraduate degree in Galway (by my own choice) and never regretted it for a minute! :)
    They have a cricket pitch. Enough said.
    So what? :confused:
    UCD however, you walk around you see something like 4 is it GAA pitches, the amount of open area is ridiculous.
    Yep, and all those buildings that look like factories as well! :pac:
    aramush wrote: »
    You'd be surprised by the amount of people who go to Trinity for vanity sake and end up dropping out anyway.
    I do agree that some people foolishly choose Trinity for the wrong reasons (and some choose UCD for the wrong reasons), nor would I argue with your next point:
    aramush wrote: »
    My advice is to go for the course that suits you best...

• Registered Users Posts: 7 eemoc

Trinity for arts
    UCD for everything else (law, business, medicine, health science, science, engineering)

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Mr Rhode Island Red

At the end of the day you get your piece of paper, and the majority of employers won't care if it's from Trinity or Knockadiddy IT.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,138 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Whiechever one lets you see this is a three year old thread.

• Advertisement
Advertisement