Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are they

Options
  • 04-06-2013 12:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭

Hi folks. My buddy was cleaning out a trout this evening and came on two whitish worm type things that started moving when they wer put on sink. We just wondering what they are and have ye come across them b4.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭con___manx1

.james1984 wrote: »
    Hi folks. My buddy was cleaning out a trout this evening and came on two whitish worm type things that started moving when they wer put on sink. We just wondering what they are and have ye come across them b4.
    I never seen that before. if it was in the trouts stomach the trout probably had eaten them.If not could be some sort of parasite . i wouldn't eat those fish. what kind of trout was it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭Bogwoppit

Looks like a tapeworm.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭.james1984

It was a wild brown caught in lough ree. Ya we thinking that. But never seen them b4 either. Dirty looking thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭tin79

:mad: It does look like a tapeworm alright.

Not pleasant little critters. We caught a mackerel once on a charter and went to cut him up as a flapper for bait. Must have had a roundworm infection as hundreds of worms crawled out of the flesh. Not nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭bayliner

It was a wild brown caught in lough ree. Ya we thinking that. But never seen them b4 either. Dirty looking thing.
    i ate a trout from ree last weekend!:eek: never seen anything like that before either!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭fisherking

Yuk
    I have seen one of them before
    I thought it was a stone and then it's started moving......

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Caribs

I've seen them in wild trout before. Not a professional but as far as I know if the worms are in the intestines then aside from them being parasitic to the fish there is no harm in eating the fish as long as it's properly cooked. If they have perforated the intestines and into the flesh then run!

From what I've read on the net (so it can't be wrong :confused:) these are naturally occurring parasites that you find in wild animals.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

They are tapeworms alright. I've often seen them in trout. I asked a fisheries officer about them and he said they were very common and of no great concern. Just make sure the fish is properly cooked and there would be no problems.
    Found this on the internet ..
    If they were free in the body cavity, often on top of the liver, then they are the larval stage of a cestode parasite (Diphyllobothrium) that uses fish as a second intermediate host, the first being a free-living copepod, the third typically being a fish eating bird. So fish get infected by eating the copepod; the bird gets infected as the definitive host by eating an infected fish.

If they were actually in the intestine which was cut during clearing then the parasites are adult cestodes that live and reproduce in the gut of fish (the definitive host). Eggs leave with fish feces. Eggs hatch and infect a copepod which passes a larval phase of the cestode on to fish.

Advertisement