Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Re-using old roof slates for patio/crazy paving & scaffolding for raised beds

Options
  • 03-06-2013 11:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Dear All,
    Am new to Boards and to Gardening. Planning to do major garden overhaul this summer and would appreciate solid guidance. Have lots of enthusiasm, a fair amount of time, a few helpers lined up, and not very much money

1) First of all, I've inherited a load of beautiful purplish old roofing tiles from a run-down cottage... would it be possible to use those to create a patio?

2)How would I go about that? Would I need 'trunking' (whatever the hell that is?)
    I know I'll need to dig out, level off the area first and use concrete
    as a substrate. Or is it more complicated than that?

The garden is huge and very wet so the tentative plan is to screed the lawn to the back wall to make raised beds for flowers and shrubs and then I'm going to gravel the rest of it.... for now at least. No point draining. Am end house on slope of estate and all other houses above me have drained and reported no improvement, so that's not an option.

2a) Would you recommend killing off :( the lawn first before I screed it? and treating for weeds?

3)Would it also be viable to use scaffolding boards as an alternative to sleepers to edge the raised beds - I'm thinking knee-height would be a good level.

3a) Will I have to bring in topsoil for raised beds?

4)I was going to use posts and chicken wire or something similar to hold the beds in and prevent them from collapsing out onto the gravel? would that be viable?

Am also as eco-friendly as possible, so will be avoiding creosote etc.

Many thanks in advance for any input.... I've been dreaming about having a lovely usable space in my garden for over three years now... and this year I think it just might happen.

AlohaI

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭ponddigger

hi any photos of your project .jack

• Registered Users Posts: 3 AlohaI

Here you go. I took the image of the ditch just now.
    J

• Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭periodictable

Re the slates-you're planning to use them as the walking area? My worry is that when wet they would be extremely slippery.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 AlohaI

Thank you all for your helpful comments...am getting nudged into a clear direction.

Have opted against using roof tiles for patio area.
    Instead going to concrete it....Just don't have the funds for patio slabs for the size of ground I'm
    working with. Landscaping on an anorexic shoestring!

Although am considering the possibility of 'stencilling' on the concrete ....

Mahalo
    J

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭eirator

Slates are slippy when wet and you might have noticed that they don't get used very often for paving but what I have seen is them used cut into strips and used on edge in various patterns (non slip). You can't really do very large areas like that but might be useful for a path or feature. Google images of slates used on edge and similar for a few ideas. http://www.pavingexpert.com/stonpv02.htm has lots on slate and a little bit on using them on edge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,257 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Be careful with the slates, flat they are slippery, but used on edge, singly, they are dangerous - I have seen a situation where someone knelt and hit the edge of a slate being used as a flowerbed edging and did serious cut damage to their knee. They are sharp on edge, and slippery flat!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

AlohaI wrote: »

Thank you all for your helpful comments...am getting nudged into a clear direction.

Have opted against using roof tiles for patio area.
    Instead going to concrete it....Just don't have the funds for patio slabs for the size of ground I'm
    working with. Landscaping on an anorexic shoestring!

Although am considering the possibility of 'stencilling' on the concrete ....

Mahalo
    J

Id worry the concrete will be awful commercial looking.
    If you can't afford slabs or pacing brick I think I'd clear it, lay membrane and then 3 inches of decorative stone. It would look much better. And probably be cheaper too.

Advertisement