Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

engine make & year ??? information needed .

Options
  • 03-06-2013 11:25pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭

hi all ...
    hope someone can help me here .
    i have just bought a compass capri 2.6 boat tender .. with a yamaha 3.5 . 2 stroke air cooled outboard .
    i would like to know the year of the outboard . the number on it is .642 s 026230
    all so could someone tell me where i could get it serviced and how much would it be . north or south .
    all so where can i buy launch wheels for it and how much would they cost north or south .

all so what is the best oil petrol ratio and what oil is best for the engine is there a specific brand .

i live in dublin but have the boat moored at lough erne county fermanagh .

cheers and thanks in advance .

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭breghall

i think it's a 1980 model
    fuel ratio decal says 100:1 but i've always had mine at 50:1 it leaves more oil on the metal so it doesn't rust easily while laying up ....i'd usually recommend TC-W3 two stroke oil for outboards but seeing as yours is air cooled and the w in tc-w3 means water cooled then i'm at a loss....can't do any harm though...

In regards servicing , google is your friend but around dublin there is killen marine, green marine, viking marine.

can't tell how much a general service is, maybe someone else can chime in on that...
    try marine parts direct in Swords for the launch wheels....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

I had the mariner version of that exact engine , i ran it with ordinary 2 stroke for chainsaws as its air cooled , it was my very first engine actually.

Noisey yoke it was.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭toshiba2010

@ breghall .
    cheers man thanks for the info . i am at present using oil for lawnmowers and chainsaw as the guy i bought the boat off said that that was what he was using and it was fine . he also said that the mix should be 50/1 so i have done that too . now she is running perfect she was a bit spluttery so i did change the spark plug . did,nt really make any difference what else could i do to make it run as smooth as possible . cheers again for the info really helpfull as this is my first boat .

@ demanufactured .
    she is a bit noisey is there anything i could do to keep it in good order as she is ticking over like a watch but cuts out now and again for no reason what could it be . any help would be great . as i don,t want to f!!k it up .. and thanks for the info .

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭breghall

you could whip off the carb and give it a good going over with some carb cleaner, this may sort out the splutter and cutting out. Also check the oil in the lower unit , remove the bottom screw and if the oil looks anyway milky or has metal shards then it'll have to be looked at.

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭keppler

Yamaha often printed the year of manufacture of their outboards on the spark plug lead. whip off the cover unit and give the lead a good inspection. If its not on the lead then check the plate on the outboard that has the serial no and make/model. other than that I'd say its an email to yamaha job!

Regards your cutting out problem if its just cutting out when idling or in very low revs, then as someone said here already the first place id be looking at is the carb as it could just be gummed up with residue from old petrol. Or you could just have an air/petrol mix problem in which case can be solved by adjusting the pilot screw simultaneously with the throttle screw until it sounds a bit 'sweeter' on tick over

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

I'd say give the carb a clean they are a very simple little engine.
    When I gotmine the gear case was full of grease...coudlnt get it out so just left it that way.
    Mine used to cut out every now and again at full throttle....for some unexplained reason.

great stuff i have the screw on top opened half way a good few turns should i only have it opened a bit . i did email . sales@northsouthmarine.com up north and they have just emailed me back and said a service on the engine would be about 40 pounds . so i will let them deal with that as i don,t want to start messing around with something i know nothing about . now my biggest problem is sorting out the launch wheels as it is a problem getting it into the water don,t want to f!!k the bottom up on it ..

thanks for all the info lads really helpfull ..

well lads thanks for all the help .. will be leaving the engine into northsouthmarine in co fermanagh approx cost 40 pounds will have it ready in 1 hour . happy days. very handy as i have it moored in lough erin in co fermanagh where she will be all year round ..

Advertisement