Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would I lose my Jobseeker's Allowance payment in the following situation?

Options
  • 03-06-2013 11:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭

I just have a quick query that I am hoping somebody could help me with.

I work part-time (about 15 hours per week) as an employee for a company. As I work 2-3 days per week, I am in receipt of Jobseeker's Allowance for almost 2 years to support my low income which is an absolute life-line for me as it's a weekly payment and my salary is monthly and comes in around €500, which is nothing.

My problem arises now, as I have been offered work by a self employed individual who needs some professional services to which I am qualified to supply however I have been unable to find 'employable' work in the field. He is only willing to pay me if I register as 'self-employed' and invoice him for the hours I work and he will pay me weekly.

I would love the work but I am of the general opinion that if I register as self-employed then I would lose my Jobseeker's Allowance (which is means tested). I am unmarried, not cohabiting, no dependents etc.

The work is not permanent nor is it enough to support myself on but at the same time it is work in the area I am trained in and I feel stupid turning it down just because I don't want to lose my 'SW' payment.

Any advice? Further to this, I will be continuing in my employed position, even though it is small hours, I have been there for 6 years and it's a stable, permanent position.

Thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,986 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

If you work more than 3 days a week you will not get jobseekers allowance

Or to put it another way you have to be 4 days unemployed in any 7 day period.

The first thing you need to try and work out is can you do both part time jibs and meet that criteria

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 78,310 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I get the impression that the DSP are perfectly happy to have people pick up some casual work.

Alternatively: http://www.welfare.ie/en/Pages/Enterprise-Allowance-Self-Employed.aspx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭another question

Thanks guys, that's the problem I have. I tend to work my existing part-time job on weekends - Fri/Sat/Sun but this new offer of work would be office hours during the week. I think it would be impossible for me to work both jobs on the same 3 days and I don't think I would be able to convince the BTWEA either.

Advertisement