Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pat Deering, Carlow/Kilkenny FG TD, diesel expenses claim...

Options
  • 03-06-2013 10:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭

Pat Deering claimed 11,000€ in diesel costs to run his car from Carlow-Dublin in less then a year.

I'm assuming he made a return trip, once a day everyday (even during his extended holidays ) to clock up a diesel bill like that?

Unreal.

My expenses are no secret, I published them on my website on 12th February for all to see. I have nothing to hide. For those who missed them, here they are again : Here (in round figures) is how I spend my allocations. I receive €25k to run my office : Rent of Carlow & Bagenalstown offices €12.5k; Phone, Gas & Electricity €6k; Leaflet Distribution €4k; Advertising clinic details, website maintenance etc. €3k. There is almost €4k other day to day expenses over and above the €25k. I also receive €30k in allowances : Cost of running my car €17k (incl almost €11k on diesel); €4k shortfall on office expenses; Hotels – one night every week, two nights some weeks, say 50 nights per anum @ €100 = €5k; the balance €4k (€80pw) is spent on meals and other sundry and incidental expenses. Both amounts are fully spent on running my constituency offices and travel & accomodation necessary to be of service to my constituents as effectively as possible.

On my mobile, but someone may be able to link to the actual expenses list published on his website (I couldn't find it using my phone)

Any wonder the countries bankrupt.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭Cody Pomeray

Well there is a constituency travel limit of about €9,000 per year for the biggest constituencies. Lets assume this applies to Carlow Kilkenny and that (Pat!) Deering was entitled to the maximum.

That would appear to indicate that another €8,000 per year was claimed for trips to Dublin? for a Dáil that usually sits on three days, and where Deering overnights on at least one day, sometimes two?

I'm no mathematician... from his explanation, I don't think Deering is either.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,475 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

€11,000 on diesel /147.9c per litre = 7437 litres
    Assuming he drives something big and nice like a BMW 530D, thats 92,150km! (8.1l per 100km) Even more if he drives something smaller and more efficient. That's an incrediable amount of Km to do in a year.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

I think TDs like other public servants who buy their own cars, pay for tyres, maintenance, insurance, etc. are paid a set sum per kilometer travelled, 0.85 or somesuch. The rates are dependent on engine size (sliding scale upwards for bigger engines) and total distance travelled in a given 12-month period (sliding scale downwards as distance increases).

I believe he's talking about a mileage allowance rather than just diesel purchases. He apparently doesn't know what he's talking about, but that never seems to stop these buckos talking.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

Less than a 100k a year would be on the low side for a TD by my reckoning. It's not only the travel to and from Dublin, there's also the travel to and from all sorts of local functions and events to take into consideration.

Advertisement