Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Network set up with 3G.

Options
  • 03-06-2013 7:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭

Wasn't sure where to put this as it covers several of the headings on this forum but here goes anyway.

I'm stuck with using 3G (3 Ireland) for my broadband. It works fine and all my devices connect without issue. The Modem/Router/WAP unit is a Huawei E586.

The only problem is that I have no Ethernet Port into which I can connect non wireless devices. I've looked around and there are several routers that can take my SIM and provide me with all I need but they're not cheap !

So I was thinking I could use a Wireless Router I have here which would normally have a phone line attached (ADSL).

The unit is a Belkin F5D7632-4 ver7000uk. It has a facility for extending it's wireless range but only when using it as the internet access from what I can make out.

I also have an Eircom Netopia unit which was one of the early models with WiFi.

Does anyone have any experience of trying what I'd like to do ? Is it possible to use these ADSL routers to extend the range of the MiFi device and allow use of the Switch built into them ?

Thanks in advance.

Ken

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ressem

I use an unlocked Huawai E5151 3G which provides one ethernet port to go alongside the wifi which works reliably and is reasonably priced (and portable, has it's own battery, or can run from USB power.)

I don't think that the netopia can be used to form a wireless bridge, and do not have the Belkin.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 adina123

can anyone advise, i need to connect to broadband via modem dsl for work min speed needed is 1.5, howver just had my line installed and it tests as only 0.9 for broadband speed, i dont know what to do, i am not aloud to connect wirelessly or via satelite, service provider digiweb thinks they can increase speed but i think this is rubbish, eircom engineer installed the line and said it was on a carrier, dont think any other provider can provide different speeds but tell me if im wrong,
    does anyone know how do companies know if you are using a wireless connection? if i used a wireless modem that i connect telephone line too, am i likely to lose connection if the fixed line fails and for how long, came i have the two plugged in at the same time, any suggestions as to how to get broadband?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

adina123 wrote: »
    can anyone advise, i need to connect to broadband via modem dsl for work min speed needed is 1.5, howver just had my line installed and it tests as only 0.9 for broadband speed, i dont know what to do, i am not aloud to connect wirelessly or via satelite, service provider digiweb thinks they can increase speed but i think this is rubbish, eircom engineer installed the line and said it was on a carrier, dont think any other provider can provide different speeds but tell me if im wrong,
    does anyone know how do companies know if you are using a wireless connection? if i used a wireless modem that i connect telephone line too, am i likely to lose connection if the fixed line fails and for how long, came i have the two plugged in at the same time, any suggestions as to how to get broadband?

Its not really possible to up the speed on a phone line if they say you can only get 0.9mb. It sounds like you're very remote or something. Eircom usually use a phone line for broadband (dsl). Digiweb do what they call metro so it allows you to connect via fixed wireless (an ariel outside). If they can give you metro you should be able to get at least 1.5mb. There may be other fixed wireless providers other then digiweb also.

By wireless modem do you mean Wifi or fixed wireless? :confused:

Re the other question you can get a phone service using VoIP, which would run over your fixed wireless connection, thus no line rental.

Advertisement