Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

"previously a taxi/hackney" whats the issue???

Options
  • 03-06-2013 6:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭

I've known about the stigma surrounding used cars being "previously a taxi/hackney" for years, but I never understood. What is the issue here when buying a used car? I've bought numerous used cars in my life and have never known thus history behind any of them but I'm not sure it would affect my decision to buy aside from the knowledge of the stigma. Anyone wanna shed some light on this for me!!???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭pa990

High mileage
    Long long times idling in traffic
    P1ss, puke, shyte and curry chips on the seats
    used 24/7

They've had a hard life, and the taxi owner is probably getting rid of it because its no longer economically viable (upcoming parts failures)

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Glenvw

pa990 wrote: »
    High mileage
    Long long times idling in traffic
    P1ss, puke, shyte and curry chips on the seats
    used 24/7

They've had a hard life, and the taxi owner is probably getting rid of it because its no longer economically viable (upcoming parts failures)

Exactly. Basically you be buying a headache.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

epic wear and tear.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭lazy-biker

I bought an ex taxi
    Has wear and tear that's expected

But ask anyone who was at the meet in glendo and they wouldn't have known bar the high miles

Once it's serviced right and clean then there is no probs with them it's just a case of looking at them in detail

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,711 ✭✭✭C.K Dexter Haven

Personally there are other cars out there much better for similar prices. Just think how many passengers / doors opening/closing/ seat wear etc never mind engine wear. It just doesn't add up for me. It's like buying a display model fridge or sofa- excessive wear and tear that the 20-30% discount just doesn't cover.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭SpannerMonkey

Personally there are other cars out there much better for similar prices. Just think how many passengers / doors opening/closing/ seat wear etc never mind engine wear. It just doesn't add up for me. It's like buying a display model fridge or sofa- excessive wear and tear that the 20-30% discount just doesn't cover.

typically irish thoughts from people in fairness ,just like high mileage cars . how do you know what its costing or what the condition is . depending on where it is , it could be very lightly worked .

just like lady owner family car thats probly had as much if not more abuse from kids throwing up or mushing chocolate / ice creams into it

as i say to everyone buy a car on condition not on stupid stereotypes from people that have never done so.
    a low mileage dealer car could be a absolute wreck aswell ya know

Never said it wasn't olde bean :) and what's this about "Irish thoughts"- do go on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Wicklowandy

The argument can be used that a vehicle used to earn a living will always be well maintained.

I'd buy a good one, but I'd want it cheap:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭SpannerMonkey

Never said it wasn't olde bean :) and what's this about "Irish thoughts"- do go on.

dont take it personally it wasnt aimed at you in particular :) , despite how it sounded , apologies :o, i more so ment the whole irish thing that any car over 100k miles is a wreck and must be avoided at all costs. its utter rubbish

dont take it personally it wasnt aimed at you in particular :) , despite how it sounded , apologies :o, i more so ment the whole irish thing that any car over 100k miles is a wreck and must be avoided at all costs. its utter rubbish

No offence taken but thanks. :)

Naw, I was talking more about the taxi thing- not mileage. Wear and tear stuff. It just appears to me that bums bouncing in and out of seats every hour 24/7 does wear car parts out that normally wouldn't- the discount would want to be substantial for me to consider one.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

Any taxi my dad had was minded to perfection as we like to mind our stuff. But working on and off with other taxi drivers cars, you could see the neglect and miles showing.

For example I remember seeing a Brava as an ex taxi (what a stupid car to have as a taxi :rolleyes: ) with 66k miles. First problem there of many was it was obviously a diesel dash in a 1.2 petrol :pac:

Another clean looking Avensis had a well aged interior in it, nice place to be.... Only it was hockeyed in from another car. Clean on the outside, underneath the subframe was rotten, sump bashed into oblivion, bumper frayed and floorpans in bits from kerbs/sticks/rocks etc. Nice mess eh....

So I wouldn't dismiss such cars totally but one would better know what to look out for when viewing one

• Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭keithclancy

typically irish thoughts from people in fairness ,just like high mileage cars . how do you know what its costing or what the condition is . depending on where it is , it could be very lightly worked .

just like lady owner family car thats probly had as much if not more abuse from kids throwing up or mushing chocolate / ice creams into it

as i say to everyone buy a car on condition not on stupid stereotypes from people that have never done so.

Even on the continent you wouldn't buy a second hand taxi, owning/running a car to make money is their business and generally speaking they are selling it because the aforementioned is no longer the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭porsche boy

There are taxi's that are will minded, yes. these are few and far between.
    Most taxi's in my experience are run night and day with multiple drivers. A service to the owner is changing the oil and maybe the filter, condition of the roads will dictate heavy suspension wear and only replace with the cheapest possible parts, Drivers seat base banjaxed, dash lights etc blown and half working as the car is run through the night, engine mounts worn and giving a harsh vibration, gearbox wear, excessive play on door hinges, handles, window regulators and the like, paintwork destroyed by drive through car washes & seldom if ever polished, holes in the dash from the meter and receipt printer, random wires, possibly live, from the battery to run the radio, roof destroyed by roof sign magnets and areal.... I could go on and on. Basically the car wont be tight, wont feel as nice or precise to drive as a privately owned example.

Basically to most drivers it is a source of income, a business of sorts, definitely not their pride and joy to be maintained to the level I would want from a second hand car. Where ever possible buy from a car enthusiast (not a boy racer)!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭George Dalton

As above, an ex taxi that is a decent buy for someone is a very rare sight. We don't look after that many taxis/hackneys in our place but of the ones on our books there are only two of them that are in any sort of decent condition, and both are 100% owner driven, serviced on time and don't do big annual mileage by taxi standards.

lazy-biker wrote: »
    I bought an ex taxi
    Has wear and tear that's expected

But ask anyone who was at the meet in glendo and they wouldn't have known bar the high miles

Once it's serviced right and clean then there is no probs with them it's just a case of looking at them in detail

it was quick to move to :) a fine ex garda taxi car it was!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

it was quick to move to :) a fine ex garda taxi car it was!

When I first saw it I thought what the flute, special branch pulling up outside....! :pac:

Fine car nonetheless :D

dgt wrote: »
    When I first saw it I thought what the flute, special branch pulling up outside....! :pac:

Fine car nonetheless :D

when i first seen it and you were all pulling into the car park, i recognised your car, cians almera and ded_zebras levin and all i could think was; "what the hell has 166 man done" :p

• Registered Users Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

when i first seen it and you were all pulling into the car park, i recognised your car, cians almera and ded_zebras levin and all i could think was; "what the hell has 166 man done" :p

:D ''Jesus Christ he's become a Grandad after all''....:pac:

i thought i'd converted you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

i thought i'd converted you :)

Not beforehand but I'm certainly getting there after what went on up the Wicklow pass... Damn that Glanza was nice...:o:D

• Advertisement
Advertisement