Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Specialized vs Cube

Options
  • 03-06-2013 5:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭

Hello lads,

I'm looking to get a cycle to work scheme bike and I've found a couple of them so far. I'm open to suggestions for other bikes as well so if you can give me advice, please take a minute to help a noobie out :)
    So far, I've come across two models that are in my budget (300-650):

http://www.fitzcycles.ie/p/940/2013-cube-ltd-cls-pro-gents-city-bike

http://www.cycleways.com/store/product/64590/Specialized-Crosstrail/

Also, can you help me in these topics:

If I'm cycling in rain, is a hybrid (bigger tires - bigger contact surface) more safe (from sliding off the road) than a racer? If a racer is also in the budget, I know a lad who will sell a good Merida racer for 430.

Are hybrids good for the now and then push around a country track and also for climbing up a steep road (I have to climb up a road on the way home)?

Could you advise me on cheaper stores that sell bikes in Dublin, be it cycle2work enabled or not? You know, like stores that have the same bikes as others but don't rob the knickers off ya.

Cheers for the answers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Bloch

Road bikes need that little bit extra skill and handling, so if you've never cycled before a hybrid might be the simplest option. (or if you haven't cycled in years and years).

Personally I prefer hybrids with no front suspension - they are generally faster and lighter for your money. That said, a suspension fork is good for keeping a straight line over gullies and potholes with nary a worry.

I think you can't wrong with something like the Spesh Sirrus.
    http://www.cycleways.com/store/product/64880/Specialized-Sirrus-Sport/

Bigger tyres are safer in the rain, but they don't have to be knobbly size. 32mm or 37mm is a nice comfortable size able to get you across grass occassionally.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭Boogietime

Cheers! What I actually found with further browsing is that the slicker the tire the better grip in the rain.

I've spoken to a fellow that has a merida ride lite 88 for sale, I might go for that one even if the sunrace derailleur and shifters don't sound like the best option. However, I've spoken to my HR dpt today and apparently my big corporation doesn't really do cycle2work which means that I can't buy a new bike at the moment. And seeing as I need one, I'll look for a good second hander.

All comes down to seeing if the bikes that I look for fit me or not, I'm a 6ft3 so I can't ride a 19", which seems to be the most common frame size in ads.

Cheers for the reply, Bloch, it came in handy!

Advertisement