Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pollock fishing

Options
  • 03-06-2013 5:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 35

hi, Im thinking about trying pollock fishing. I haven't tried it before so i was wondering what type of places you would recommend or what type of bait or lures you would use?
    Any advice greatly appreciated

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Silent Runner

Depends on what part of the country you are in, but here's a handy site : http://www.sea-angling-ireland.org/map%20of%20ireland%20-%20shore.htm

I find the best spots are normally rocky deep waters with Kelp often hold decent Pollock. I've tried jelly worm baits but I've never had any success with them. Spinning with anything silver (Dexters Wedge) or feathers (Achill Raiders). I've often float fished a strip of mackerel over rough ground with great success. This is a handy method as you can loose gear fishing over rough ground

I find fishing from evening to sunset on an incoming tide to be the best times.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭cuddlycavies

Would echo all of that. Sprats with glitter from the rocks are great. They're a great fish to get on light spinning tackle. I have found sink and drag the lure to very effective. Have had them to 9lb off rocks in Clare and Kerry.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭realrebel

Just back from rock fishing for pollock today in kinsale and we must have had over 100lbs of pollock, it was crazy fishing, a lot of them took the savage gear sandeels, connamara krills in 40gm are lethal and dexter wedges in bigger sizes too

• Registered Users Posts: 3,731 ✭✭✭dmc17

I find the jelly worms great for pollock. I use these ones and find they love them. It's the black with the red tail combination that does the trick. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭.red.

realrebel wrote: »
    Just back from rock fishing for pollock today in kinsale and we must have had over 100lbs of pollock, it was crazy fishing, a lot of them took the savage gear sandeels, connamara krills in 40gm are lethal and dexter wedges in bigger sizes too

Im heading down that way today. Hope i have the same luck as you. Any sign of wrasse about?

• Advertisement

.red. wrote: »
    Im heading down that way today. Hope i have the same luck as you. Any sign of wrasse about?

There are plenty of big pollock there red the buddy had 2 wrasse alright on jelly worms

There are plenty of big pollock there red the buddy had 2 wrasse alright on jelly worms
    Couldnt buy a pollack but managed a few wrasse so was happy enough.

.red. wrote: »
    Couldnt buy a pollack but managed a few wrasse so was happy enough.

Really that's unreal coz we were pestered by pollock every cast, where did you try, pm me if you don't want to say on here

Really that's unreal coz we were pestered by pollock every cast, where did you try, pm me if you don't want to say on here

Ill show you mine if you show me yours!!:-):-)

Advertisement