Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maths Paper one definitions

Options
  • 03-06-2013 9:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭

Are there anry definitions that can asked for paper 1? I feel like I'm missing something...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭LostBoy101

Ordinary or Higher?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭Leaving Cert Student

Higher though I am going to be very ignorant and suggest that ordinary is merely a subset of higher?

and to be even more arrogant... a subset is a venn diagram reference...

... jk!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,971 ✭✭✭✭peekachoo

Probably just "define an irrational number" I can't think of anything else!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭Leaving Cert Student

peekachoo wrote: »

Aye thats all I can think of myself?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭LostBoy101

Higher though I am going to be very ignorant and suggest that ordinary is merely a subset of higher?

and to be even more arrogant... a subset is a venn diagram reference...

... jk!!
    Don't get all smart ass on me now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭11Charlie11

What definition would you give? Like I know how to prove it and construct it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9 ItsCon

"Cannot be written in the form A/B when A,B are elements of Z" is the simplest one really

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭11Charlie11

ItsCon wrote: »
    "Cannot be written in the form A/B when A,B are elements of Z" is the simplest one really

That it? :O I was thinking it had to be long with the amount of room they leave in the exam paper!

• Registered Users Posts: 9 ItsCon

That it? :O I was thinking it had to be long with the amount of room they leave in the exam paper!

Nope that's it! Think they only leave so much room to either confuse people or just in case somebody keeps messing up and has more room to write in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭outnumbered

How do you construct it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,971 ✭✭✭✭peekachoo

How do you construct it?

root 2; you have a line of 1 unit, and label both ends a + b. Draw a perpendicular line up from b and label it m. Use your compass as measure the length of a-b and draw a circle with b as your centre, where the circle intersects M label it C.
    Draw a line from a-c and that's root 2 :)

Root 3; start with the same line a-b, this time draw a circle with centre A, and another with centre B (same size- 1 unit)
    Where the two circles intersect above and below, mark off points and label them C + D. You can draw lines from A-C, A-D and B-C, B-D and that's root 3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭outnumbered

root 2; you have a line of 1 unit, and label both ends a + b. Draw a perpendicular line up from b and label it m. Use your compass as measure the length of a-b and draw a circle with b as your centre, where the circle intersects M label it C.
    Draw a line from a-c and that's root 2 :)

Root 3; start with the same line a-b, this time draw a circle with centre A, and another with centre B (same size- 1 unit)
    Where the two circles intersect above and below, mark off points and label them C + D. You can draw lines from A-C, A-D and B-C, B-D and that's root 3

Thanks a million :)

Advertisement