Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

TDCi badge missing(?) from the back

Options
  • 03-06-2013 3:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭

Hi All,

my newish , second hand focus has a TDCi engine, also stated on the car registration book.It doesn't have the TDCi badge on the back like other TDCi cars, should I be worried?It is a uk import if that has any bearing on it...(I hope I am not going to be sorry I asked)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭jayok

I assume your concern is over whether or not it's a TDCi rather than the badge? If so the the log book is your primary source of information. Someone probably robbed the badge or similar. If its a big issue you could just get a replacement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

It could have been crash damaged in a rear end shunt and the badge never replaced after the repair. Easily spotted when buying a Citroen as most numbskulls in bodyshops struggle to spell cat never mind Citroen, the "O" and "E" are always the wrong way around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

it seems quite common to see modern fords with no badges, i wouldn't worry about it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,088 ✭✭✭sean1141

I de badged my mondeo when I got it. I should still have the badge if you want it.

Is it a 1.6 tdci?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

When you buy a new car there is an option to have it debadged (This is an option in the UK anyway). In this case it simply refers to removing the engine size and TDI/CDTI/dCi etc markings. Nothing to worry about at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

jca wrote: »
    It could have been crash damaged in a rear end shunt and the badge never replaced after the repair. Easily spotted when buying a Citroen as most numbskulls in bodyshops struggle to spell cat never mind Citroen, the "O" and "E" are always the wrong way around.

bit of an unfair statement towards panel beaters.

also, in the vast majority of cases replacement badges are sold by the word, not the letter, so your theory is nothing more than rubbish.

what's your profession?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

r3nu4l wrote: »
    When you buy a new car there is an option to have it debadged (This is an option in the UK anyway). In this case it simply refers to removing the engine size and TDI/CDTI/dCi etc markings. Nothing to worry about at all.
    I know that the German manufacturers offer factory debadging as an option, but do Ford?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Not sure, I've seen loads of debadged Fords over here (England) though so I assumed they do. Either that or a LOT of people just debadge after buying. Didn't think that many people would be interested in doing that post-purchase though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,794 ✭✭✭Jesus.

sean1141 wrote: »
    I de badged my mondeo when I got it.

I've always wondered why people do that.

Why'd you do it Sean?

Jesus. wrote: »
    I've always wondered why people do that.

Why'd you do it Sean?

in some instances the rear of the car can look very cluttered with all the badges on it. it just looks fresher "without".

or in the case of the boards.ie motorists the people with the fast cars don't want people to know they are fast and the people with the slow cars diesels, well... :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

Debadging works well on a semi q car

I was considering debadging the 535 and replacing it with a 518i badge. Decided against it in the end but it would have been a cool idea!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

I have a 2 year old fiesta imported from UK, no badge to say its diesel either, it's the titanium model and I was told they don't put it on the higher spec models.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,159 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The last pre TDCi engine sold in the Focus would have been in the MkI up until early 2005. Anything after that would have had a TDCi engine, badge or not.

Max Power1 wrote: »
    Debadging works well on a semi q car

A what?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

• Registered Users Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭wonski

What you saying is that most Citroen after accidents turn into Citreons because the body shops can't spell it right? Pictures please.

bit of an unfair statement towards panel beaters.

also, in the vast majority of cases replacement badges are sold by the word, not the letter, so your theory is nothing more than rubbish.

what's your profession?

None of your business what I work at tbh. Citroën letters are placed individually on the tailgate, on the C5 anyway.

None of your business what I work at tbh. Citroën letters are placed individually on the tailgate, on the C5 anyway.

its ok, tbh i just wanted to make a sweeping generalisation at whatever you do :)

the letters are individual items on your tailgate, yes, but i can assure you that if you went to buy a replacement letter that you would have to buy the complete word, where the letters are all pre-positioned and spaced, in ad "idiot panel beater" proof way.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 king02

Don't worry about badges on Fords. Style, Zetec and Titanium as well as TDCi are no longer factory fitted. The only badge coming on the Diesels now are the model badge and 'Econetic Technology' badge.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭SpannerMonkey

i wouldnt worry about it it just seems to heppen with fords . my father picked up his brand new mondeo a few years ago and there was no TDCI badge on it either

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭porsche boy

its ok, tbh i just wanted to make a sweeping generalisation at whatever you do :)

the letters are individual items on your tailgate, yes, but i can assure you that if you went to buy a replacement letter that you would have to buy the complete word, where the letters are all pre-positioned and spaced, in ad "idiot panel beater" proof way.

Rubbish, Halford's sell individual letters in that raised chrome-isque look that nearly all manufacturers go with. You can spell what ever the hell you want.
    Amognst others, I have seen Amlera on an Almera, Citreon, Citron (funny as it's lemon in French) Clot on an Colt and Komprosser on the back of a Merc. Is it stupidity of a panel beater or a sense of humor, you decide.

Profession: All my adult life working in the motor trade. :)

Rubbish, Halford's sell individual letters in that raised chrome-isque look that nearly all manufacturers go with. You can spell what ever the hell you want.
    Amognst others, I have seen Amlera on an Almera, Citreon, Citron (funny as it's lemon in French) Clot on an Colt and Komprosser on the back of a Merc. Is it stupidity of a panel beater or a sense of humor, you decide.

A friend has a Smart and bought the letters A, R, S and E from Halfords and, well, you know the rest :P

or the stupidity of the poster :p

having spent all your adult life working in the motor trade, tell me this.

how many professional body shops/ panel beaters repair cars with stick on halfords lettering?

to the trained and even untrained eye those letters are very gaudy and un-authentic. those halfords yokes are also around €4 each, it would be cheaper to buy a genuine badge. they are a gimmic.

or the stupidity of the poster :p

having spent all your adult life working in the motor trade, tell me this.

how many professional body shops/ panel beaters repair cars with stick on halfords lettering?

to the trained and even untrained eye those letters are very gaudy and un-authentic. those halfords yokes are also around €4 each, it would be cheaper to buy a genuine badge. they are a gimmic.

Just checked their site. €2.99 each!! :eek: My friends ARSE cost him €12 so :p

• Registered Users Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭patrickc

I like my td ci badge ;)

I see. I thought it might have been the other way around, IE someone debadging a decent looking car because there's a mickey mouse little engine in it and they don't want people knowing it!

wonski wrote: »
    What you saying is that most Citroen after accidents turn into Citreons because the body shops can't spell it right? Pictures please.

There was one knocking around in the locality but I never had the chance to photograph it. I think the local nct guys gave it its final blessing and wouldn't allow it to leave the centre under its own steam.
    I work in a transport company and was transport manager for my sins. A white car was badly damaged in the front and was carted off to an "approved" repair centre by the insurance company. It returned to the fleet while I was on holidays. The indicators flashed at breakneck speed,turned out there were 5W bulbs put in the indicators. I went to change the bulbs and one of the "new" indicator units fell out!! Well it would do,considering it was glued in with tiger seal. The "new" bumper was cream the "new" nearside wing was about 5 shades brighter than the rest of the car...The list was endless. All the "new" parts were on the invoice,no problems there...
    I have plenty more stories like this one,not from the same "approved" repair centre either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭tin79

corktina wrote: »
    it seems quite common to see modern fords with no badges, i wouldn't worry about it

Agree with this. Last two I have had didnt have any badges. One from the factory, one de-badged by previous owner I was told.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Ronnie Beck

bazz26 wrote: »
    The last pre TDCi engine sold in the Focus would have been in the MkI up until early 2005. Anything after that would have had a TDCi engine, badge or not.

Seen a '03 Focus yesterday with a TDCi badge. It was a saloon taxi. Thought it was odd.

• Advertisement

Seen a '03 Focus yesterday with a TDCi badge. It was a saloon taxi. Thought it was odd.

Segment C cars shouldn't be allowed in the taxi fleet, they're too small. A Ford Focus Taxi FFS? I saw a supermini operating as a taxi too - a bloody Kia Rio!

They should be D segment cars but I suppose that's another debate!

Advertisement