Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Goodyear Asymmetric 2 :Tyre Variants and Sourcing

Options
  • 02-06-2013 10:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21

Hi all,

I'm thinking of replacing all my current runflat Bridgestone Potenza's (seriously terrible ride!) with non run-flat Goodyear Eagle Asymmetric 2 tyres on a BMW M-Sport. Preferably I'd be looking to get them on the car and balanced at the same time.

The rear wheel tyre dimensions are: 255 40 R17, the front wheels: 225 45 R17.

I'd really appreciate some guidance in respect of the following;

1) Should I switch to Goodyear AS2 run flat or Goodyear non run-flat tyres? I assume the non run-flats would be less expensive and more comfortable?

2) Where would be the best place to source the 4 tyres in Dublin or surrounding areas? From looking at previous threads, it looks as though Camskill is popular - although they don't appear to stock my tyre dimensions in the Goodyear AS2.

Thanks for any advice you can offer.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,289 ✭✭✭Supergurrier

Eiretyres

I have 2 of those on the front of my car and 2 in the shed i think i have 2 nexens on the backs atm, getting alot of road noise from mine though

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭George Dalton

If I were you I would definitely switch to normal tyres. However I never get punctures so if you regularly get punctures then you may think differently.

As for where to purchase the tyres, try discount tyres in Blanchardstown. I find they are generally cheaper than Camskill when you take fitting costs into account.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 drok

Thanks guys!

I've emailed both places for quotes so will see what they come back with. Looking forward to the switch from run-flats, meant to transform the ride!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

If I were you I would definitely switch to normal tyres. However I never get punctures so if you regularly get punctures then you may think differently.

As for where to purchase the tyres, try discount tyres in Blanchardstown. I find they are generally cheaper than Camskill when you take fitting costs into account.

George, I'd be interested in hearing any thoughts you have in the difference in handling?

Considering moving to non runflats because of road noise too, but I'd have to accept that the handling I have now is seriously good and wouldn't want to lose that even to a significant extent. TIA

• Registered Users Posts: 51,159 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I moved from run flats to non run flats over 12 months ago and would never go back to run flats. The ride is much more comfortable, handling has improved since the walls are no longer rock hard, less road noise and ironically I've had less punctures than I had with the run flats. Imo the only reason to stick with them is if you prefer the comfort of not having to change a wheel at the side of the road. Me, I got a space saver and put it in the boot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,590 ✭✭✭tossy

Another vote for discount tyres in Blanch.They have beaten online retailers for price in 17/18" F1's and PS3's for the last few years.

I am currently running Asymmetric 2's in 18" and the are without a doubt the best Tyre i've ever used,in the last few years i've had PS3's,Asymmetric 1's and GSD3 F1's so i think that's pretty high praise.

I've never driven a car with runflats for any great length of time but i would be surprised if any mid range factory spec runflat would out handle the F1's.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭SpannerMonkey

Avns1s wrote: »
    George, I'd be interested in hearing any thoughts you have in the difference in handling?

Considering moving to non runflats because of road noise too, but I'd have to accept that the handling I have now is seriously good and wouldn't want to lose that even to a significant extent. TIA

i switched from run flat Bridgstone potenzas to goodyear asymmetric and if anything the ride and handling improved MASSIVELY . i have to say im not a fan of bridgestone potenzas they are a very average tyre at best ,and IMHO piss poor in the wet. where the goodyear asyymetrics excel in the wet

only downside with the goodyears is that they are a bit loud when they are nearing the end of their life , i would recommend you try Continental Conti sport contact 5p i just put a set on my Bmw 645 and they are probably the best tyre i have ever had , actually feels like im on 18's instead of 19's so much more comfortable and unreal grip . the Pirelli P-zero (just pzero not pzero nero or pzero rosso) i had on before were probably more precise but the contis are so much better for normal road use

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

i switched from run flat Bridgstone potenzas to goodyear asymmetric and if anything the ride and handling improved MASSIVELY . i have to say im not a fan of bridgestone potenzas they are a very average tyre at best ,and IMHO piss poor in the wet. where the goodyear asyymetrics excel in the wet

only downside with the goodyears is that they are a bit loud when they are nearing the end of their life , i would recommend you try Continental Conti sport contact 5p i just put a set on my Bmw 645 and they are probably the best tyre i have ever had , actually feels like im on 18's instead of 19's so much more comfortable and unreal grip . the Pirelli P-zero (just pzero not pzero nero or pzero rosso) i had on before were probably more precise but the contis are so much better for normal road use

The car is on Continental Sport Contact 3e's at the minute and they are great for everything but road / tyre noise. In fact, they are flippin chronic even though they are just about 50% worn. Had the car on a set of 17's (currently on 18's) with RFT Dunlops and it was virtually silent.

I would not recommend the Conti's at all. I am considering putting a set of 1/2 worn ones in the bin because of the noise!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭SpannerMonkey

Avns1s wrote: »
    The car is on Continental Sport Contact 3e's at the minute and they are great for everything but road / tyre noise. In fact, they are flippin chronic even though they are just about 50% worn. Had the car on a set of 17's (currently on 18's) with RFT Dunlops and it was virtually silent.

I would not recommend the Conti's at all. I am considering putting a set of 1/2 worn ones in the bin because of the noise!

ya conti 3 were loud alright but the 5p are very quiet , if you think the conti 3 are loud though dont get the goodyear asymmetrics , once they are over half worn you will think you have a wheel bearing gone they are quite loud:D

ya conti 3 were loud alright but the 5p are very quiet , if you think the conti 3 are loud though dont get the goodyear asymmetrics , once they are over half worn you will think you have a wheel bearing gone they are quite loud:D

The Goodyears are loud but the have always been. I have to say though it's something that has never bothered me one bit.Just make the Engine or music louder :D

• Advertisement

Any thoughts on the Toyo Proxies ? Tempted for next set of fronts

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭George Dalton

I wouldn't say the Toyos would last too long on the front of an ST to be honest.

I wouldn't say the Toyos would last too long on the front of an ST to be honest.

Heard they are pretty bad for wear, the F1's aren't too bad sofar, then again i used to get more front wheel spin from my 1.4 Octavia tbh

Also i'm not a fan of mismatching.Same tyres all round is the best bet,if only from an anal point of view :D

tossy wrote: »
    Also i'm not a fan of mismatching.Same tyres all round is the best bet,if only from an anal point of view :D

When i had the 235/35/R19's on the ST i had 1 goodyear excellence 1 nankang ns2 1 kumho and forget what the last one was, i think it was a matador

Blame the previous owner :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

I've AS2's on the DC5 and really like them. Very good in the dry but its the wet where they outshine the others. You can drive like it was dry with them on wet roads with normal driving,not hammering it but im sure they'd hold up very well if you wanted to. Just wasn't Sure about the soft sidewalls but you grt used to it.

I had kumho ecsta le sport xl before, found them a very good tire for the money

When i had the 235/35/R19's on the ST i had 1 goodyear excellence 1 nankang ns2 1 kumho and forget what the last one was, i think it was a matador

Blame the previous owner :p

Sleepless night material! lol

• Registered Users Posts: 51,159 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Toyo Proxies have a very soft compound which is great for grip but will mean they have a short life span.

Advertisement