Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hurlamaboc and An tEarrach Thiar?

Options
  • 02-06-2013 9:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21

Is anyone studying Hurlamaboc and An tEarrach Thiar for Higher level Irish? everyone i know isn't bothering just wondering if anybody is?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭PhosphoricAcid

I'd leave them. Personally like Hurlamanoc to be honest but happy to see the back of that O'Direan tripe

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭woopah92

[HTML][/HTML]Just gonna skim over then next weekend.
    They wouldn't screw us over like that would they? :/

• Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭kingcobra

woopah92 wrote: »
    [HTML][/HTML]Just gonna skim over then next weekend.
    They wouldn't screw us over like that would they? :/

To be perfectly fair they never said that a poem or prose wouldn't come up two years in a row.

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭11Charlie11

It wouldn't surprise me if they did put at least one of them up again! Knowing them they think its prob a way to get students to learn everything like the whole English poets last year!
    Personally I'm not gonna bother with them and on the day if push comes to shove ill try make up something which I'm no good at :P

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Glee_GG

Could come up again, but i don't see it happening in the second year of the new course tbh, not gonna bother with them, no time at this stage!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭aoifemcg94

We didnt even read Hurlamaboc ! Just got a summary of it so defiantly not wasting time on it !
    I've a feeling it will be Spailín for the poem agus Oisin for the pros.

aoifemcg94 wrote: »
    We didnt even read Hurlamaboc ! Just got a summary of it so defiantly not wasting time on it !
    I've a feeling it will be Spailín for the poem agus Oisin for the pros.

We didn't do ANY of the prós. We were just given sample answers to learn off about 2 weeks before the mock. :pac:

We didn't do ANY of the prós. We were just given sample answers to learn off about 2 weeks before the mock. :pac:

Wow that's crazy ! I'm really scared for the pros and poems section, I've just been focusing on the aiste :/
    If Gaelige or Fadhbanna na daoine oga come up I will be dancing around that hall ! :D

aoifemcg94 wrote: »
    Wow that's crazy ! I'm really scared for the pros and poems section, I've just been focusing on the aiste :/
    If Gaelige or Fadhbanna na daoine oga come up I will be dancing around that hall ! :D

I've just finished all my prós and poetry study but my aiste is not happening so far. :mad: I've only managed to learn off 1 essay. So if emmigration/economic crisis comes up, I'll be slightly happier but still sad about how awful the listening is bound to go. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Scuid Mhór

We didn't do any of the prós in class, my teacher handed us summaries on them two days before graduation. Get on my level woopah92 :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭PhosphoricAcid

Ideal exam
    Eisimirce/Cumann Lutchchleas Gael/Tabacht den spoirt

Paipear 2
    Oisin i dTir na nOg-Treithe an bhealoidis
    Geibheann-Teama is ladir, an file etc
    An Triail-Fimineacht

What essays do youse think should be learned for An Triail? Role of men, role of women, Ireland in the 1960s? What else?

I've just finished all my prós and poetry study but my aiste is not happening so far. :mad: I've only managed to learn off 1 essay. So if emmigration/economic crisis comes up, I'll be slightly happier but still sad about how awful the listening is bound to go. :p

Ya I am awful worried about the listening as we only did it once or twice in class. Was looking on Internet for a video or sound fill with all general phrases and key vocabulary for the listening but couldn't find anything.

For An Triail, people are expecting something to do with the Teach Tearmainn (sp?) due to the Magdalene Laundries being topical this year

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭ray2012

For An Triail, I think it'll be either a question on the dramatic techniques used in the play, or else the role of men in the play!

ray2012 wrote: »
    For An Triail, I think it'll be either a question on the dramatic techniques used in the play, or else the role of men in the play!

Hopefully the latter as I have nothing prepared on the former.

Hopefully the latter as I have nothing prepared on the former.

Really? We spent ages doing the dramatic techniques, 'cause if it comes up as a question it's either one you know or you don't, there's not much waffling that can be done if you don't know the main points. Once you know some quotes for An Triail though I think making up an answer should be grand.

If you get asked about the 'teicnící drámaíochta' or something, just ramble on about 'an t-iardhearcadh (flashback)', 'Ceol' (where the song Siuil a grá is repeated), and you could also talk about 'soilse' (when they are at the court scene it puts pressure on them to confess etc).

That's just a brief outline of what you could mention, I could send one of my answers if you want, just in-case it comes up?

Really? We spent ages doing the dramatic techniques, 'cause if it comes up as a question it's either one you know or you don't, there's not much waffling that can be done if you don't know the main points. Once you know some quotes for An Triail though I think making up an answer should be grand.

If you get asked about the 'teicnící drámaíochta' or something, just ramble on about 'an t-iardhearcadh (flashback)', 'Ceol' (where the song Siuil a grá is repeated), and you could also talk about 'soilse' (when they are at the court scene it puts pressure on them to confess etc).

That's just a brief outline of what you could mention, I could send one of my answers if you want, just in-case it comes up?

If you wouldn't mind just so I could have a look. Yeah I know my teacher was going to do it with us but didn't have time I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭user.name

I'm doing OL irish and don't plan on counting it, is it worth my while learning the poems and stories since they aren't worth that much? I feel i done a decent enough oral so I won't say id fail it! Anyone else the same? :pac:

I'll post it up here so that if anyone else wants to see it, they can.

"Cuireann na tecníochtaí drámata a mbaineann Máiréad Ní Ghráda úsáid astu go mór leis dráma 'An Triail'."

É sin a phlé

Aontaim go huile is go hiomlán leis an ráiteas sin. Gan aon dabht, cuireann na teicníochtaí drámata a mbaineann Máiréad Ní Ghráda úsáid astu go mór leis an dráma 'An Triail'. Leiríonn sí a scileanna liteartha tríd na teicníochtaí drámata sa dráma seo. Is léir go bhfuil Eamón Ó Ciosáin ceart nuair a dúirt sé gurbh í Ni Ghráda "an mórdhrámadoir ban".

Ar dtús, is aoibheann liom an tús obann agus dramatúil. Sula n-ardaítear an brat, rith garsúin nuachtáin isteach agus dúirt sé go bhfuil "tragóid uafásach" tar éis a tarlú. Muslcaíonn sé seo suim sa lucht féachana. Freisin, closimid glór Mháire ag rá gur mhairigh sí a leanbh "de bhrí gur chailin í". Tar éis an líne seo, ta gach duine fiosrach chun an scéal a chloisteáil nó a léamh. Cruthaíonn sé teannas agus ba bhealach éifeachtach é chun sin a dhéanamh. Greamaítear an lucht féachana leis an plota anois agus is toradh maith é. Tá a fhios againn go léir go bhfuil tús an dráma an-tabhachtach ar fad, agus rinne Ní Ghráda an tús seo den scoth lena teicníochtaí drámata.

Tá an t-iardhearcadh an-tabhachtach sa dráma. Tá an-chuid siar is aniar sa dráma agus coinníonn sé seo aird an lucht féachana ó thús deireadh. Tríd na t-iardhearcaidh, tugann Ní Ghráda léargas iontach dúinn ar gach rud a tharla. Feicimid mothúcháin idir na beirte ag fás agus tús an caidreamh ag tarlú nuair a bhí Máire agus Pádraig ar an droichead tar éis an rince sa teach scoile. Bhí Máire faoi gheasa lena chuid cainte. Caint fhileata agus phlámásach atá ar siúl ag Pádraig. Úsáideann sé íomhánna den dúlra chun aird Mháire a fháil : "Féach solas na gealaí ag déanamh airgead feal leáite d'uisce na habhann". Gan amhras, ba bhealach suimiúl agus éifeachtach é an t-iardhearcadh agus chabhraigh sé seo an dráma den scoth a chruthú. Tá na t-iardhearcaidh cosúil leis an aithriseoir sa dráma seo agus i mo thuairim, tá sé ar fheabhas agus cuireann sé leis gluaiseacht an scéil.

Ar ndoigh, tá a fhios againn go léir go bhfuil a lán suíomhanna sa dráma seo. Feicimid, mar shampla, an séipeal, an cúirt, an Tearmainn Ban, ach thar aon rud eile, an reilig. Seasann an séipeal do chumacht na hEaglaise agus an baile do thabhacht an chlainne. Seasann an reilig don bhás agus don éagóir a rinneadh ar Mháire sna seascaidí in Éirinn. Is suíomh drámatúil é agus cruthaíonn sé a lán teannas. Tháinig na haisteoirí go léir ar an stáitse, ach amháin Aturnae an Stáit, Aturnae a hAon. Mhínigh Aturnae a Dó gur dúnmharú agus féinmharú a bhí ann. Dúirt Seánín na focail ba shuntasaí sa dráma - gur bhrís Máire na rialacha agus "an té a bhriseann rialacha an chluiche cailltear ann é". Cruthaíonn an reilig atmaisféar diamhair. Tarlaíonn radharcanna i go leor áiteanna éagsúla le gur feidir réimse leathan de shaol Mháire agus den sóchaí a chur ar an stáitse. Cuireann sí béim ar éagróir in Éirinn. Leiríonn sí tríd na suíomhanna : a grá (ar an droichead), a clann (sa bhaile), a streachailí (An Tearmainn Ban), a bás (an reilig). Úsáideann Ní Ghráda suíomhanna mhaith chun eolas a thabhairt orainn faoin tsaol agus sóchaí na seascaidí.

Tá raidhse mór pearsanta sa dráma seo. Cosúil le na suíomhanna, seasann na pearsanta ar sóchaí na seascaidí. Tugann sé sin léargas dúinn sa sóchaí agus i mo thuairim féin, tá sé an-suimiúil. Coimeadán na difriochtaí idir na carachtair spéis sa lucht féachana. Feicimid Máire - bean saonta, chineálta agus dílis ba ea í. Ar an lámh eile, feicimid Pádraig - fear mímhacánta, fimíneach agus mí-mhorálta ba ea é. Tá an difríocht seo an-suimiúil. Tugann sé léargas dúinn den éagsúlacht sa sóchaí sna seascaidí. Freisin, tá gach réimse den sóchaí sa dráma seo ón sagart, na hatturnae, na muinteoirí scoile, an striapach agus daoine sa teach tearmainn. Léiritear an dráma ó aigne chuile dhuine. Cloisimid an fhianaise ó thaobh gach duine agus tugann sé seans dúinn n-aigne féin a dhéanamh suas faoi na daoine atá ciontach. Is aoibheann liom an teicníc seo mar feicimid a lán tuairimí difríochta agus léiríonn sé éagsúlacht na sóchaí.

Teicníc an-éifeachtach eile ná an úsáid a bhaintear as teach na cúirte sa dráma agus an cros cheistiúchán. Tugann an cúirt agus an cros-cheistiúchán práinn agus drámatúlacht dochreidte dó. Greamaítear an lucht féachana de na heachtraí atá ag tarlú agus is féidir leo páirt a ghlacadh iontu agus tuairimí a bheith acu ina dtaobh. Tá an lucht féachana cosuil leis an ngiúiré sa chúirt agis is aithris é sin an gcór Gréagach sa drámaíocht. Mise, ceapaim go bhfuil Máire ciontach. Dúirt Mailí gur "cailín dílis a bhí inti" agus aontaím le sin, ach sa deireadh mharaigh sí a leanbh! De réir an oibrí soisialta, "bhí sí stuacach ceanndána". Is aoibheann liom an úsáid a bhaintear as teach na cúirte agus an cros cheistiúchán mar is feidir leis an lucht féachana a bheith ar thaobh amháin nó ar thaobh eile de réir mar atá an fhianaise ag dul i bhfeidhm orthu.

Agus freisin, thar aon rud eile, is maith liom an úsáid a bhaintear as ceol sa dráma. Is teicníc an-mhór é agus úsáideann Ní Ghráda é go hiontach. Ag tús an dráma, bíonn ceol ag seinm sa chúlra. "Siúil a ghrá..." is ainm don amhrán. I rith an dráma, bíonn an amhrán seo ag seinm arís. Cruthaíonn an amhrán seo an t-atmaisféar gruama. Chomh maith le sin, cruthaíonn sé teannas. Tá sé éasca le féiceáil sa deireadh an dráma nuair atá na carachtair sa reilig. Cloistear 'Siúil a ghrá' "á chanadh go bog binn" sa chúlra. Tagann Pádraig agus seasann sé ar "bhruach na huaighe ar feadh nóiméad gan aon fhocal a rá". Gan aon amhras, bíonn an t-atmaisféár an -ghruaim anseo, lán le teannas agus le huaigneas.

Mar a dúirt mé céanna, aontaim go gcuireann na teicníochtai dramáta a mbaineann Máiréad Ní Ghráda úsáid astu go mór leis an dráma 'An Triail'. Eiríonn leis an dráma seo mar dráma reabhlóideach, nua-aimseartha atá ann ó thaobh teicníochtaí drámaíochta. Bhrís sé a lán múnlaí ag an am. Taitníonn an dráma seo go mór liom agus is léir go gcabhraíonn na teicníochtaí drámaíochta chun dráma den scoth a dhéanamh.

-- After writing this all out, I noticed how parts of it don't really answer the question at all, but what harm! :P My spelling or whatever might be a bit all over the place in parts. This came out as 3 and a half A4 pages when I wrote it, so that's plenty, you could maybe leave out 1 point at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭11Charlie11

^so this is what I'm up against! :( I couldn't write something life that if my life depended on it! Thanks for posting it tho! :)

• Advertisement

^so this is what I'm up against! :( I couldn't write something life that if my life depended on it! Thanks for posting it tho! :)

Heh, this isn't one I wrote in an exam, I had all my notes and everything writing this one! :P In an exam situation, it wouldn't be that good at all. It's only 5 marks I think for Irish for An Triail anyways, so if you discuss the main points that I use in the essay, you're sorted! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭HPMS

Does anyone have anything on the film techniques used in Cáca Milis? I was thinking they might ask this but my book only has like three short sentences on it :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭kevin12345

HPMS wrote: »
    Does anyone have anything on the film techniques used in Cáca Milis? I was thinking they might ask this but my book only has like three short sentences on it :(

Maybe talk about the use of characterisation (describe the characters/psychical attributes)
    Setting - the train and how it's a small space (Paul keeps hitting Catherine with his walking stick.)
    Humour (the way he eats his cake/gets excited about it being pink.)
    Use camera/close up (We see the malicious smile on Catherine's face when she tricks Paul.)

-- After writing this all out, I noticed how parts of it don't really answer the question at all, but what harm! :P My spelling or whatever might be a bit all over the place in parts. This came out as 3 and a half A4 pages when I wrote it, so that's plenty, you could maybe leave out 1 point at least.

Thanks a bunch, I'll make sure to read this at some point (English and Geo focused atm) But, 3.5 pages? We were told 2 as a guideline. Is that much necessary? :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭outnumbered

I'm not going to bother studying An Triail bar Máire/Padraig.... only 10% for so much work. Then again, i'm not counting Irish..

Thanks a bunch, I'll make sure to read this at some point (English and Geo focused atm) But, 3.5 pages? We were told 2 as a guideline. Is that much necessary? :o

You could definitely cut out one of my points, if not two. 3.5 pages is way over what is needed. 2/2.5 pages would do perfect :p

Advertisement