Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Statistics, Standard deviation and Correlation in Maths.

Options
  • 02-06-2013 9:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

Hey,
    I'm doing ordinary maths and I use a Sharp EL-W531 calculator.
    I'm just wondering when a question asks you to find the standard deviation or correlation coefficient would it be ok to do it in the calculator (following the instructions in the pdf below) than to actually do it out?.
    Like would I be docked marks if i just put down the answer or do I get the marks as long as it's right?.

http://mrroche.pbworks.com/w/file/fetch/46462777/sharp%20statistics.pdf

Many thanks,
    Liam.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭Moody_mona

LiamGGG wrote: »
    Hey,
    I'm just wondering when a question asks you to find the standard deviation or correlation coefficient would it be ok to do it in the calculator (following the instructions in the pdf below) than to actually do it out?.
    Like would I be docked marks if i just put down the answer or do I get the marks as long as it's right?.

Many thanks,
    Liam.

Using your calculator is fine as long as you're sure of the method. Try to estimate your answer first so you have a ball park figure. Write down "by calculator". Ordinary level students do not need to be able to calculate correlation coefficient. You may be asked to estimate correlation coefficient based on graph, you may be given a choice of numbers and asked to identify which is the correlation coefficient of a given graph, or you may be asked to match graphs and correlation coefficients, but not to explicity calculate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 LiamGGG

Moody_mona wrote: »
    Using your calculator is fine as long as you're sure of the method. Try to estimate your answer first so you have a ball park figure. Write down "by calculator". Ordinary level students do not need to be able to calculate correlation coefficient. You may be asked to estimate correlation coefficient based on graph, you may be given a choice of numbers and asked to identify which is the correlation coefficient of a given graph, or you may be asked to match graphs and correlation coefficients, but not to explicity calculate it.

Ok, That's great. I'll just learn off the method and I should be fine then.
    Thanks!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Acciaccatura

LiamGGG wrote: »
    Hey,

Many thanks,
    Liam.

How do you calculate the standard deviation and correlation coefficient on that calculator? I'm never too sure, I keep forgetting and I know it'll catch me out :/

Advertisement