Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Financial Maths monthly interest

Options
  • 02-06-2013 6:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭

When you guys are finding the monthly interest rate in financial maths...how do you do it?

I always did it like this:

If the AER was say 10% I would take P to be 1 and F to be 1.1 and t to be 12...

So F = P(1+i)^t
    1.1 = 1(1+i)^12

Working i out to be.... 0.00797

But a marking scheme from the examcraft mock just divided the AER by 12 and got a completely different answer. Is the way I've been taught completely wrong??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Monsieur Folie

No, your way is the way I was taught it as well. We were also told that if we got a big messy decimal that we were to keep it all (I just store it to a letter on the calculator) because it can affect the overall result if you round it off!

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭11Charlie11

Ya i do it your way aswell and got the same answer :)

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭HPMS

Thanks guys! Really appreciate the help. Was starting to freak out there! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Undeadfred

I do the 12th root of 1+i and i keep it like that for all calculations so no decimal places are lost

So for 10%, i'd do 12th root(1.1) or (1.1)^1/12

Advertisement