Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

English Paper 1 B Question

Options
  • 02-06-2013 6:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭

would i be safe enough knowing speech and diary entry. Id like to be as covered as i can considering its work as much as poetry with very little work

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭Leaving Cert Student

I don't think so. Speech is an asset to have alright but diary entries should be getting outdated in my opinion. I think a letter and speech/talk could be safe?

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Tommyrawr

Yeah just know the layout of a letter to the editor/publicist (most likely), But don't brochures and manuals also come up as question B's also?
    I'm just wondering how long would your speech/talk be for 50 marks? I usually do 2 pages?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭Leaving Cert Student

Yeah about 300 words, usually only takes me 25 mins or so, it is a handy q compared to poetry. What is the layout of a letter, just to be safe, is it my address top right, recipients to the left underneath, date, dear sir/madam etc.?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,176 ✭✭✭dee_mc

Good checklist here for Paper 1 as a whole, with links to guidelines for answering typical question B's

http://leavingcertenglish.net/2012/12/paper-1-checklist/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭Luize

One thing my teacher said that they had an obituary as a part B sometime yearsss ago so it may make an appearance so look at that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭ray2012

dee_mc wrote: »
    Good checklist here for Paper 1 as a whole, with links to guidelines for answering typical question B's

http://leavingcertenglish.net/2012/12/paper-1-checklist/

Great website, good advice and tips on it!

Luize wrote: »
    One thing my teacher said that they had an obituary as a part B sometime yearsss ago so it may make an appearance so look at that

Well that would royally screw me over!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭Luize

Well that would royally screw me over!

It's really not too hard :) its basically writing a biography on a person!

Luize wrote: »
    It's really not too hard :) its basically writing a biography on a person!

True but I wouldn't feel comfortable writing a Q.B if I hadn't studied the format beforehand.

Something to keep in mind if an obituary question came up!
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-22018823
    If it came up as a QB it would probably be for a well known person (real or imaginary); General tips would be to briefly and vaguely refer to how the person died ('after a brief illness'), describe the work for which the person was celebrated, including prizes/awards/notable achievements, maybe include a pithy quote from the deceased and/or a quote from a peer or family member, as well as a mention of family life ('a loving and dedicated father), and at the end 'survived by his wife Mary, daughters Julia and Ann, and son Anthony'.
    An obituary in this context is more of a 'tribute' than a 'death notice' which would be much shorter and more factual (time and date of funeral etc). You could add something about donations to a charitable organisation or something related to their work or interests.
    Not a bad question if it did come up :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭11Charlie11

dee_mc wrote: »
    Something to keep in mind if an obituary question came up!
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-22018823
    If it came up as a QB it would probably be for a well known person (real or imaginary); General tips would be to briefly and vaguely refer to how the person died ('after a brief illness'), describe the work for which the person was celebrated, including prizes/awards/notable achievements, maybe include a pithy quote from the deceased and/or a quote from a peer or family member, as well as a mention of family life ('a loving and dedicated father), and at the end 'survived by his wife Mary, daughters Julia and Ann, and son Anthony'.
    An obituary in this context is more of a 'tribute' than a 'death notice' which would be much shorter and more factual (time and date of funeral etc). You could add something about donations to a charitable organisation or something related to their work or interests.
    Not a bad question if it did come up :)

I guess it's not a bad question! How long would it have to be?

I guess it's not a bad question! How long would it have to be?
    Around 1.5-2 pages (average writing), same amount as any question B. Just make sure it's succinct and not rambling, remember your efficiency in the use of language marks, quality over quantity and all that!

Advertisement