Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Golf TSI 170bhp new timing chain cost

Options
  • 02-06-2013 4:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hi does anyone know how much a new timing chain will cost for golf 2008 TSI 170 bhp. This seems to be a very common problem in this car

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭George Dalton

We charge €750 to do them. It is a very time consuming job with a lot of parts needing to be changed. The main dealer will charge more than that for the job if you are paying full price. However depending on your service history they may do you some kind of deal on the parts and/or labour so well worth looking into that option as it may work out cheaper than going to an independent.

If you end up getting quotes from a few sources make sure they all include the modified oil pump pickup pipe and turbocharger oil feed line. It is recommended by VW that these are to be changed along with the timing chain kit. The full list of parts that should be changed is:

Timing chain
    Timing chain tensioner
    Timing chain tensioner rail
    Timing chain guide rail
    Cam sprocket bolts (2)
    Crank sprocket bolt
    Timing chain cover gasket
    Crankshaft oil seal
    Oil pump pickup pipe
    Turbocharger oil feed line
    Engine oil and filter (needed as sump has to come off)
    Coolant (needed as water pump needs to come off to remove timing chain cover)

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Karendaisy

Cheers George. I started the car today and the shuddering was quite bad and engine light flashing but then it goes off and car feels fine. Do u think its ok to drive while I'm waiting to get it done? Where are u based? Thanks again

You should get it done ASAP to be honest. If the timing slips or the chain breaks then there will be pretty major engine damage so the repair bill will be much bigger than just the chain job.

Has it definitely been diagnosed as a chain problem?

We are in Co Laois.

Thanks a mill for d info. My brother is a mechanic and the engine light has been coming on for the past few months and he tried everything to fix it and now when I start it up its making a ticking noise and shuddering for about 30 secs and then It's grand so my brothers said it must be timing chain but he doesn't have the tools or knowledge for the timing chain. Do you come across this a lot in work?

Yes it is a common problem with those engines, we see them all the time.

Has your brother done a diagnostic scan on the car? If so do you know or can you find out what fault codes are stored in the engine ECU?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭flyguy

Ok it doesn't say timing chain, but most VW dealers have this offer on timing belts, dunno if it applies to timing chain as well or if there are any deals on them: http://www.karmann.ie/page/offers/timing-belt-offer

Yeah there was 4 faults cylinder 1 and 3 misfire and something to do with throttle body and he changed Kyle pack 1 and 3 and cleaned out the throttle body and still same. Doesn't make any sense to me? :-D

This is the usual code that is logged when the chain is stretched:

http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/16725/P0341/000833

There are often individual cylinder misfire codes as well plus sometimes a code for random cylinder misfire but the P0341 code is the real tell tale sign.

You should check with him to see if that code was stored before going any further I reckon.

Cool thanks he's going to plug it in again in the morn and have a look. Think ill get it fixed and get rid then :-D

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭enumbers

George we have had 2 with only misfire and fuel pressure faults missing the usual cam position fault logged. Didn't really matter as was very clear from the noise when running it was chain issues but surprising not to log the normal cam position one was 170 and the other was a 140

• Advertisement

Interesting info, thanks for that. The last one we did had not logged the P0341 code either but that was the first one like that we had seen so I thought it might have been an isolated case.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭enumbers

I didn't go to deep into why they had fuel pressure and missfire faults and not a cam posistion but thats the joys. nice job to do but labour intensive. :)

Advertisement