Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW 1.4 TSI t/chain fault

Options
  • 02-06-2013 8:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭

I don't know if VW here are paying up but VW in Germany are covering SOME :mad: of the cost of premature timing chain failures

Google translate from http://www.autobild.de/artikel/vw-tsi-steuerkettenschaeden-4220214.html
    The anger at the timing chains with TSI engines from VW is not gone even after a year. Many customers are paying disproportionately in the repair lot.

Also in May 2013, a year after the drama of the TSI timing chains at VW , nor damage to occur - always new cases reach the AUTO BILD suggestion box . Although the manufacturer has to be given in AUTO BILD grace promises , yet there is often dissatisfaction among stakeholders. In most cases, the owners are five to seven year old car with relatively low mileage.

So also Eckhard About Lewerentz from the Lord in the Saarland (photo). His Touran 1.4 TSI suffered with only 83,000 kilometers a timing chain damage from the 1300-euro-bill took over VW half. According Lewerentz too little: "Incomprehensible why my Touran is treated just like a mile-eater with 250,000 on the clock." Michael Kuppinger from Herrenberg near Stuttgart can not understand why VW linked the amount of goodwill to the age of the vehicle. His Tiguan 1.4 TSI was only four months out of the extended warranty, as the timing chain failed at km 78.500. Nevertheless Kuppinger had to take 650 of 1550 euro itself.

VW scandal of 2012 affected all TSI engines with timing chains, the causes of the failures were manifold. The focus of the damage was the 1.4 TSI , VW here identified a manufacturing error. Many customers were initially expensive engine damage repair at his own expense. Repeated coverage in AUTO BILD meant that the top management dealt with the problem. Quickly issued a sign of goodwill extended VW least once clear: Until the age of three years and 100,000 miles there is full, then a pro rata cost sharing of at least 50 percent.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭mustang01

vw build quality gone to pot ! went looking for a 05 tdi engine the other day because bottom end let go, like gold dust the breakers kept telling me coz so many of dem seem to be giving up da ghost !

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

Great :rolleyes:

I have the 125 bhp 1.4 tsi motor in my car with some 55,000km

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

Its nothing new to VW. 3 Cylinders jumping timing, 1.4 & 1.6s buring oil to pot, 1.9 TDI oil starvation problems and 2.0 TDIs just going bang. Thats before you mention dreaded flywheels. They really are bloody scary.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

my first car was 1.4 golf mark 4 only with under 100k miles it was burning 1l oil every week :cool: ,now i remember when they came out with tsi 1.4 pushing up to 170hp and so on,voted best engine of the year,and yet again biggest piece of $hit they are times and again,seems that after mark 2 they went down hill.Now it seems they are playing game of new golf every year,yet not giving any crap quality wise.
    das auto :pac:

scamalert wrote: »
    my first car was 1.4 golf mark 4 only with under 100k miles it was burning 1l oil every week :cool: ,now i remember when they came out with tsi 1.4 pushing up to 170hp and so on,voted best engine of the year,and yet again biggest piece of $hit they are times and again,seems that after mark 2 they went down hill.Now it seems they are playing game of new golf every year,yet not giving any crap quality wise.
    das auto :pac:

fords new masterpiece is the 3 cylinder petrol, havnt driven it yet but from what i hear its a great engine, also voted engine of the year, only time will tell of its true quality just lets hope doesnt turn out like VW's disaster !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

mustang01 wrote: »
    fords new masterpiece is the 3 cylinder petrol, havnt driven it yet but from what i hear its a great engine, also voted engine of the year, only time will tell of its true quality just lets hope doesnt turn out like VW's disaster !
    thats what i remember my mechanic telling me when i told him voted best engine of the year,give it some years and it will be known then.but for comparison most jap engines let it be 1.3 or vtec-vvti outperform any German engines in terms of longevity and troubles wise.Germans put more style then quality in the stuff they make.Saying that not every single car is bullet proof.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭kasper

scamalert wrote: »
    thats what i remember my mechanic telling me when i told him voted best engine of the year,give it some years and it will be known then.but for comparison most jap engines let it be 1.3 or vtec-vvti outperform any German engines in terms of longevity and troubles wise.Germans put more style then quality in the stuff they make.Saying that not every single car is bullet proof.

So long as its not a Toyota VVTI that you're talking about cause they burn oil like there's no tomorrow nevermind going bang. Then there's the Nissans with the stretching timing chain issue. Subaru boxer diesels spend more time apart than on the road, gearboxes ain't much better. They all have their worries.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5 hillbennny

i think that all cars between 08 and 12 are crap not just vw,as i have a 00 tdi bora that i bought in 2001 with 40,000 on the clock she now has 2,65000 and never had anything done only a service or two. I THEN bought a new vw tiguan in 08 which cost 40+ and the high pressure fuel pump went at 50,000 miles in 2011 and vw in galway city wanted over 6000 euro to fix it.
    MY buddy bought a 08 1series bmw and she has 80,000 on the clock and the timming chain is now gone at a cost of 3,000 euros
    THIS IS INSANE,were in a fn recession.........buy a auld carina e,corrolla,golf diesel,any car 95 to 04 these are still running like swiss watches

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Karendaisy

Hello I have a 2008 golf TSI 170 bhp and looks like ill have to get timing chain replaced as its shuddering in mornings when I start it for few secs with engine light appearing. Anyone know how much this will cost?

• Advertisement

Feck sake just buy a Prius, they go forever !

Feck sake just buy a Prius, they go forever !

ya if ya wana be a boring sod !

• Registered Users Posts: 4,143 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

Is the 1.4 120bhp affected by this? It was my understanding it was only the 1.4 turbo and supercharged engines.

ya if ya wana be a boring sod !

I'd rather be a boring sod with an ultra reliable car and not have to pay huge repair bills ! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭Capri

I'd rather be a boring sod with an ultra reliable car and not have to pay huge repair bills ! :D

There has to be a 'middle road' here somewhere - I think an early Jetta/ Bora is a good compromise. Cheapish to buy but as reliable as a 'tree huggers' Prius ( IMO the Prius's 'savings' are offset anyway by the amount of raw materials used to produce it and it's batteries so .... :eek: )

Capri wrote: »
    There has to be a 'middle road' here somewhere - I think an early Jetta/ Bora is a good compromise. Cheapish to buy but as reliable as a 'tree huggers' Prius ( IMO the Prius's 'savings' are offset anyway by the amount of raw materials used to produce it and it's batteries so .... :eek: )

Oh dont waste your time. If you were looking for something like a two week holiday in Spain or a good place to buy school uniforms, Mad Lad would be telling you to buy an African Slave Labour Creator instead

Capri wrote: »

I don't think that's true at all, the Prius is made from a lot of recycled materials !

And the Prius and its battery can be recycled.

Saab Ed wrote: »
    Oh dont waste your time. If you were looking for something like a two week holiday in Spain or a good place to buy school uniforms, Mad Lad would be telling you to buy an African Slave Labour Creator instead

Lol wtf ?

sur everyone is diff and thats what makes the world go round :) many stylish and exciting cars out there that are reliable and wont create huge repair bills !

sur everyone is diff and thats what makes the world go round :) many stylish and exciting cars out there that are reliable and wont create huge repair bills !

Sure, they may not create "huge" repair bills while the Prius creates "NO" repair bills !

Sooner or later I will get rid of it, as I usually get board of any car after 3-4 years and like a change, no doubt I'd like something with more power.

I drove a 2010 MK III prius the other day and I was impressed with the extra poke and much quieter acceleration, can't comment on the MPG as I hadn't got it for more than 30 mins, but I liked it a lot.

I could be persuaded to convert a nice petrol to LPG, but I seriously doubt I could go back to Diesel again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭Capri

Latest Prius looks better than the previous models

LPG bit of a no-no here due to (taxes ? ) and lack of stations.

Had 1/2 diesels but I think the repair costs on the newer ones cancel out 'savings' of the mpg

LPG is 80-90 cent in Ireland and Verynworth while converting any petrol which would make it as cheap or much cheaper than a diesel to run.

Prius on lpg would be an ultra cheap car to run much more than any diesel.

Advertisement