Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GUI Vouchers:

Options
  • 01-06-2013 9:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭

Okay Folks,

I won a GUI voucher last week (first time i won something in 8 years!) for an open competition. The voucher is valid for 6 months. I can't seem to find any definitive information as to what I can use it for so I am appealing to anyone who had won something similar over the last 12 months to tell us what they did with it.......Many thanks in advance :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,871 ✭✭✭Macker1

I won a couple recently and spent mine towards upgrading a few clubs. Vouchers can be spent in all golf shops I would imagine so if you need anything pop in.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

I've never spent them on anything other than golf stuff, but gave heard of people using them for their groceries in Tesco I'm pretty sure

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭irishtoffee

Usually I just put them in my 2s club account in the pro shop. Think the GUI put a stop to using them in places like Tesco.

• Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭jmorrisey

Ive heard people mentioning Tesco and Superquinn before but it seems to be all anecdotal and here say. I would lovle to get the grocery shop out of the voucher but afraid of looking like a lunatic when it comes time to pay....I suppose ill ask at customer service desk

• Registered Users Posts: 27,134 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

I've used mine in Superquinn, Tesco, Lifestyle, loads of places.
    There is no requirement to use them for golf, not unless its just appeared in the last month or so anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭jmorrisey

GreeBo wrote: »
    I've used mine in Superquinn, Tesco, Lifestyle, loads of places.
    There is no requirement to use them for golf, not unless its just appeared in the last month or so anyway.

Just wondering when you used them at Tesco/Superquinn what did you actually do. Did you just produce the voucher at the checkout or did you go to customer service first? I only ask because the voucher itself looks like something that could be mocked up very easily so could imagine a business not used to receiving it treating it with suspicion

• Registered Users Posts: 27,134 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

jmorrisey wrote: »
    Just wondering when you used them at Tesco/Superquinn what did you actually do. Did you just produce the voucher at the checkout or did you go to customer service first? I only ask because the voucher itself looks like something that could be mocked up very easily so could imagine a business not used to receiving it treating it with suspicion

Just at the register, same for lifestyle sports.
    Assuming the checkout person has seen them before its not an issue, otherwise they will just confirm with a supervisor.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Golfgod101

Put it on my account in my club pro shop

• Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭theyoungchap

Digging up an old thread here.

Recently played Beech Park Golf Club in an open comp.

I arrived with my GUI voucher which I had won in my own club, they said they had never seen one and wouldn't honour it. Said it was for use in your home club only.

Anybody else ever had any such problem? I've another one now and am wondering if I am going to have this issue everywhere.

I like using it for an open comp as it allows me to play somewhere different which I probably wouldn't bother doing otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Digging up an old thread here.

Recently played Beech Park Golf Club in an open comp.

I arrived with my GUI voucher which I had won in my own club, they said they had never seen one and wouldn't honour it. Said it was for use in your home club only.

Anybody else ever had any such problem? I've another one now and am wondering if I am going to have this issue everywhere.

I like using it for an open comp as it allows me to play somewhere different which I probably wouldn't bother doing otherwise.
    Well they're wrong. I've used them n golf shops like Halpenny or McGuirks and now just put them on my account n the pro shop. Really strange that they never saw one.

• Advertisement

prawnsambo wrote: »
    Well they're wrong. I've used them n golf shops like Halpenny or McGuirks and now just put them on my account n the pro shop. Really strange that they never saw one.

I wondered myself. I think it probably involved some work or something to claim it back. Anyway, I won't be back to Beech Park.

Can I use it in Halpenny?

I wondered myself. I think it probably involved some work or something to claim it back. Anyway, I won't be back to Beech Park.

Can I use it in Halpenny?

Yeah you can use them in halpenny, used one a few weeks ago in lucan shop. I think they have to claim the money back of the issuing club you would think that its not too hard for them to do that

Most retailers and Pro Shops accept them alright for purchase of goods.

It seems though you wanted to use it to enter a competition. I'm not aware of many Clubs who would accept them in this instance.

Exactly wrote: »
    Most retailers and Pro Shops accept them alright for purchase of goods.

It seems though you wanted to use it to enter a competition. I'm not aware of many Clubs who would accept them in this instance.

Yeah that was what I wanted to do alright, so most clubs wont accept them to enter a comp?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,782 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Just cash them in at the bar.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Fann Linn wrote: »
    Just cash them in at the bar.

Didn't think you were allowed to do that. Thought amateurs could only get vouchers/prizes and not cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,782 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Didn't think you were allowed to do that. Thought amateurs could only get vouchers/prizes and not cash.

I'm not sure of the legalities but our club cashes them. After all, who is to know whether its €40 quid cash or a dozen Pro Vs your collecting?

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭londonred

Was in Halfpenny airside last year at one of their staff discount Thursday sales the guy in front of me had bought about e800 worth of clubs, shoes and clobber which was then reduced to e500 , he then produced his winnings for the season 450 GUI vouchers and handed over 50 quid for a boatload of stuff , way to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Fann Linn wrote: »
    I'm not sure of the legalities but our club cashes them. After all, who is to know whether its €40 quid cash or a dozen Pro Vs your collecting?

It's not a legal thing but more a amateur v Professional status thing. Also, it would more beneficial to your club not to cash them as €40 worth of golf balls would actually cost the club aprox €25 or there abouts it real money.

londonred wrote: »
    Was in Halfpenny airside last year at one of their staff discount Thursday sales the guy in front of me had bought about e800 worth of clubs, shoes and clobber which was then reduced to e500 , he then produced his winnings for the season 450 GUI vouchers and handed over 50 quid for a boatload of stuff , way to do it.

Deadly. I will do that. Thanks! I doubt I'll win 450 euro worth of vouchers this year but we'll see!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,895 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Why do clubs offer these gui vouchers?
    I've heard of them but never seen them. What kind of clubs are they? As in, would they have no pro shop? Surely a club should be giving a voucher for their own shop rather than have you spend your winnings elsewhere. Really doesn't make business sense to me.

I've also heard of a well established club with a nice shop who got a new pro in a while ago. He started giving vouchers for McGuirks. I mean WTF?? I'm not sure he lasted!

Oh and as for using them in Tesco??? What the hell are these things? Are they like butter vouchers :)

My club doesn't have a pro shop. You would wonder what that pro was thinking.

They are typically given for winning comps, etc.

Tesco - no idea but that was 2013......I'd say that's an old wives tale.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Tesco - no idea but that was 2013......I'd say that's an old wives tale.

Greebo will love being referred to as an old wife. :D

GreeBo wrote: »
    Just at the register, same for lifestyle sports.
    Assuming the checkout person has seen them before its not an issue, otherwise they will just confirm with a supervisor.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,875 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Be happy with your GUI vouchers, I was placed in an open a few weeks back and won pro shop credit but it’s 2hours away and I’ve no intention of being in that neck of the woods again so a waste

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,895 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

slave1 wrote: »
    Be happy with your GUI vouchers, I was placed in an open a few weeks back and won pro shop credit but it’s 2hours away and I’ve no intention of being in that neck of the woods again so a waste

A waste fot you but not the club issuing them. It makes proper business sense that they give you credit in their shop rather than someone else's.

I guess that's the risk you take playing in opens far away from you.

By the time way, where was it? We might have a society member close who could pick up a few balls in your name to sponsor for a prize at the next outing :)

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭gizmo23

You can use them in most shops. I usually use mine in our local super value and just produce it at the till.

It is amazing what coming home with the shopping can do to the missus mood especially when you want to sneak in a midweek game.

Needless to say not much mid week golf this year :(

gizmo23 wrote: »
    It is amazing what coming home with the shopping can do to the missus mood especially when you want to sneak in a midweek game.
    (

And even better mood when you tell her you've saved her 30 quid on the shopping due to your excellent golf.

And you can tell her "if I played more golf I could get better and win even more"......

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭gizmo23

gizmo23 wrote: »
    (

And even better mood when you tell her you've saved her 30 quid on the shopping due to your excellent golf.

And you can tell her "if I played more golf I could get better and win even more"......

It worked perfectly for last two years but now the vouchers have become as dry as the course itself ... the question of "no voucher this week then" is getting a tad more aggressive as it's delivered 😂😂

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,875 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Seve OB wrote: »
    A waste fot you but not the club issuing them. It makes proper business sense that they give you credit in their shop rather than someone else's.

I guess that's the risk you take playing in opens far away from you.

By the time way, where was it? We might have a society member close who could pick up a few balls in your name to sponsor for a prize at the next outing :)

I understand the logic and if it was closer would be okay.

I'll decline your fine suggestion for the time being.:p

Might give them a call and see will they post something out to me

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Advertisement
Advertisement