Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Line Attenuation - Who to believe?

Options
  • 01-06-2013 8:51pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭

I have Sky and when I check my line attenuation it says 35dB but I remember clearly when I had Vodafone that it was 20dB indicating my line is about 1.4km in length and not 2.5 as Sky says. I presume they're both the same exchange using the same LLU technologies? I'd just like to know because I'm wondering the sort of speeds I might get with Fibre. Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

I have Sky and when I check my line attenuation it says 35dB but I remember clearly when I had Vodafone that it was 20dB indicating my line is about 1.4km in length and not 2.5 as Sky says. I presume they're both the same exchange using the same LLU technologies? I'd just like to know because I'm wondering the sort of speeds I might get with Fibre. Thanks!

Umm line attenuation from the exchange is not relevant to VDSL, with this its attenuation from the nearest cabinet that matters. You can think of it as the exchange now reaches the cabinet and the line now goes from the cabinet to you

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

bealtine wrote: »
    Umm line attenuation from the exchange is not relevant to VDSL, with this its attenuation from the nearest cabinet that matters. You can think of it as the exchange now reaches the cabinet and the line now goes from the cabinet to you
    Alright thanks, good to know. Still though who do you think has the accurate readings? Sky or Voda? Thanks again.

Alright thanks, good to know. Still though who do you think has the accurate readings? Sky or Voda? Thanks again.

Well all those readings come from an eircom database...so you decide:)

Well all those readings come from an eircom database...so you decide:)
    That's helpful! :pac:
    I dunno hehe

........:D

That's helpful! :pac:

I have no evidence for this but I'd say Voda would be more accurate, the Sky database imports from the eircom db seems to be broken...
    Anyway your modem "line statistics" would be about the best "measure"

• Advertisement

I have no evidence for this but I'd say Voda would be more accurate, the Sky database imports from the eircom db seems to be broken...
    Anyway your modem "line statistics" would be about the best "measure"
    Thanks! Makes much more sense to me now. Appreciate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Snaga

Checking it from your existing ADSL modem will give you the most accurate (current) reading of all.

Line credentials can change, more users within your cable bundle can affect you over time, as can additional interference or line degradation (even within the home, adding a skybox, extra phone extension etc...).

As mentioned though, most of these (Unless its a bad internal wiring issue) should not have a large affect on the Cabinet fed VDSL. But you can rule those out by unplugging anything else connected to the phoneline, resyncing the modem and checking your stats again.

Advertisement