Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rechecking your exams

Options
  • 01-06-2013 7:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭

So lets say I miss out on my course by five points and after I recheck my subjects I get an extra 10 points, would I be able to go back into my top choice after getting rejected or would I have to reapply next year

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭mad turnip

I don't think rechecks count towards points, at least not the year you sit your exams. There quite pointless anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 608 ✭✭✭BrownBear11

Aksa94 wrote: »
    So lets say I miss out on my course by five points and after I recheck my subjects I get an extra 10 points, would I be able to go back into my top choice after getting rejected or would I have to reapply next year

You would do, yeah :) You'd get offered a place in your first choice course that year without having to reapply but you might just be a bit later starting than everyone else cos' the results from rechecks are generally released in early October

• Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭happywithlife

Yes if you come up say 10 ponts you will be offered you 1st choice,as outlined by brownbear
    If the course is full up, as far as I know,a place is held till the following year for you. I assume you'd then have to opt out of your 2nd choice course ...in line with gov policy of only paying for one course and all that but You may want to check that with the career guidance teacher.
    If getting subjects remarked watch out tht you get coursework remarked too...I know for example in home Ec when viewing scripts you need to order both the paper and the journal because they are marked separately they are stored separately so just watch out for quirks like that. Again the ct teacher should be of great assistance when the time comes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

My friend missed his course by 5 points and viewed his script and seen that the examiner didnt correct it properly so paid for a recheck. He got the 5 points on recheck and got offered a place. He still repeated during the 6-8 week wait for rechecks just incase.

He choose to continue repeating to get into tcd rather than dit

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭mad turnip

Yes if you come up say 10 ponts you will be offered you 1st choice,as outlined by brownbear
    If the course is full up, as far as I know,a place is held till the following year for you.

I don't pretend to be an expert on how the point system is done but this sounds like a bad option as your left sitting around for 1 year for the course you want.

If you do anything right for the leaving cert make sure its the CAO most people have no clue what they want to do so don't fill out 3 subjects that you want fill it out properly theirs no excuse not too.......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

mad turnip wrote: »
    I don't think rechecks count towards points, at least not the year you sit your exams. There quite pointless anyway.
    mad turnip wrote: »
    I don't pretend to be an expert on how the point system is done but this sounds like a bad option as your left sitting around for 1 year for the course you want.

If you do anything right for the leaving cert make sure its the CAO most people have no clue what they want to do so don't fill out 3 subjects that you want fill it out properly theirs no excuse not too.......

you're right, you're not an expert. Rechecks are not pointless, people do get upgraded. Not all the time though. Points do count for the year you have applied. So if a student got 395 and missed their course because it was 400, and then got an extra 10 points after the rechecks, they are now on 405 and have to be offered a place in the course they missed assuming it was higher up the list than the one they were offered.

Normally it isn't a big issue if it's a large course like Business or Arts where one more student wouldn't make a difference. Often students have opted for a similar course so the change doesn't mean an awful lot to catch up on. Problems usually arise in smaller courses which can only accept a certain number of students like Dentistry, Medicine etc and this can be down to having restricted numbers such as in a lab where one more can't be squeezed in. If someone has since dropped out a student has the option of starting immediately if it's not too late into the semester. If not they can defer the place for the year. It's not the end of the world, they will be starting college a year later, but they have their first choice course and it's better than repeating the leaving cert. They can use the year to work to earn money for college, or perhaps do a PLC for the year and gain an extra qualification or maybe do a bit of travelling.

The system isn't perfect but it allows all students the right to appeal a grade and if the appeal is upheld and results in extra points well at least the student hasn't lost the place in the college course of their choice.

Advertisement