Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SSD adaptor for Laptops €8.13

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,569 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

Jaysus, that is awesome!

Even a 64GB SSD would do, then stick a TB in the other slot

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,353 ✭✭✭coldfire1x

Already using something like this in my Latitude E6430. Works a treat.

It's gets even better in latitude models, the drive is hot swappable. I usually have a hard dive in the modular bay but any time I need the DVD drive, just remove the lock and replace, no need to switch off the laptop :)

Lastly as an added bonus I have an external battery that fits right into the modular bay.

Meaning three attachments - hard disk, dvd drive and bettery. Use whichever one you need.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,927 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

Tallon wrote: »
    Jaysus, that is awesome!

Even a 64GB SSD would do, then stick a TB in the other slot

Thanks

Yeah, think I'll definitely grab one and a cheap 64gb ssd for my old laptop.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭zom

This product is very handy if you want add an ssd to your laptop, but don't want to completely replace your existing hard drive. Very useful to have an ssd for the OS and hdd for storage.

The optical drive is taken out and this slots in instead. Who even uses their DVD drives anymore?? I don't anyway. I think its just a waste of space.

What is speed for such connection? Usually CD/DVD ROM doesn't need any fast link but SSD does.

zom wrote: »
    What is speed for such connection? Usually CD/DVD ROM doesn't need any fast link but SSD does.

Depends on the SSD! This is just an adapter

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭zom

Tallon wrote: »
    Depends on the SSD! This is just an adapter

Not really. Older slimline CD/DVD ROMs works on IDE (UDMA) connection up to 33 Mbps which is speed of most modern HDD and much less than most SSD. That means that your SSD will work at 25-50% of it's speed. I wonder if that is better idea to swap main disk with SSD and then put it inside that caddy adapter. But I may be wrong, so that's why I asked.

Not really. Older slimline CD/DVD ROMs works on IDE (UDMA) connection up to 33 Mbps which is speed of most modern HDD and much less than most SSD. That means that your SSD will work at 25-50% of it's speed. I wonder if that is better idea to swap main disk with SSD and then put it inside that caddy adapter. But I may be wrong, so that's why I asked.

Have you bothered to click the link?

It's sata :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭Gulliver

They missed a trick not having a pass through SATA port with switch behind the cover so you could attach the external optical drive listed on the page to it. Flick the switch and the harness diverts from SSD to external port.

Of course, if your OS is on the SSD, this might cause a performance problem... :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭davidom2513

As Tallon said, its sata.

You would want to check that your laptops chipset supports 6Gb/s on the sata slots to make full use of an ssd, otherwise the read/write times would be slashed

There may a difference in speed of the sata slots for the optical slot and hdd slot. I think optical drives generally use 3Gb/s, as do hdd's, but the hdd slot may support 6gb/s.

I might install my ssd in the primary hdd slot just to be sure, as only the chipset speed is listed in my laptops specs, not the individual sata slot speeds. I'd imagine there the same, but I can't be sure.

I'd advise you to check your own laptops specs and user manual to answer your question

Advertisement