Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

new Audi tt or old?

Options
  • 01-06-2013 10:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭

Which Audi would you choose and what model from the old and new? Which has better room on the inside and which would you have better use of back seats??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,289 ✭✭✭Supergurrier

Mark 2 anyway as original looks very dated IMO was behind a 13 one last week and its a very wide yoke for its size

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭TGi666

if I had the means I would go for a new one in a diesel but the mileage I do justifies the diesel
    the newer one seems to have more space but in either you would struggle to fit any decent sized adult in the back

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

They're both very good but if money wasn't a factor I'd find it hard to see why you wouldn't pick the new one.

The old one is far from dated too, IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

TGi666 wrote: »
    if I had the means I would go for a new one in a diesel but the mileage I do justifies the diesel
    the newer one seems to have more space but in either you would struggle to fit any decent sized adult in the back

I'm on my third Mk1 so fan obviously a fan. Looked at a lovely white diesel Mk2 recently, but one huge snag. No, and I mean no rear space. Worse than Mk1.

I have just about got my 10 and 13 year olds into mine over the last 13 years. Struggling a wee bit now. Alternatives are thin on the ground.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

galwaytt wrote: »
    I'm on my third Mk1 so fan obviously a fan. Looked at a lovely white diesel Mk2 recently, but one huge snag. No, and I mean no rear space. Worse than Mk1.

I have just about got my 10 and 13 year olds into mine over the last 13 years. Struggling a wee bit now. Alternatives are thin on the ground.

"Back in the day" I was in the back of a mk2 TT for a test drive, there is less space but what made matters worse was it was an Auto, the driver went for the clutch and literally floored the brake. Pretty sure there's an imprint if my face still in the head rest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,293 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Regardless of what the engine power output figures are, the diesel engine fitted to the TT is just not right for the type of car.
    I also drove a diesel peugeot RCZ. What a let down.
    With the diesels, its like the worst of all worlds in a car like a TT.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭Synyster Shadow

Did you have any trouble with car seats?
    And ISOFIX?

I have a 7 week old and need to make sure he's safe above all, but want something different for a change and a TT was agreed on

• Registered Users Posts: 15,513 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Mk1 is definitely on my "possible" list next time round.
    those bam engines can be made develop some serious bhp :P

Did you have any trouble with car seats?
    And ISOFIX?

I have a 7 week old and need to make sure he's safe above all, but want something different for a change and a TT was agreed on

When they're that small std baby seat goes in front and SO in the back. When they're bigger you'll get a seat for the rear for them, but you'll be a while looking. A helpful shop and trying them all is what it'll take.....no ISOFIX iirc, uses the seat belts.

Alfa GT is the nearest alternative I can think of atmo....

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

Mark 2 anyway as original looks very dated IMO was behind a 13 one last week and its a very wide yoke for its size

The original is far from dated. Colour is important too. Not much imagination used when the first ones came out - any colour so long as it was silver or black.... with the odd blue one or rarer amulet red.

Ode To The Motorist

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭thecomedian

Do not get a TT with a Diesel engine.

As Galway TT said, a different colour makes a difference on the MK1. Mine with Dolomite Grey doesn't look dated IMO.
    A clean mk1 is still a nice place to be.

I can't comment on the mk2.

Why not get a TT with a diesel? If you're doing mileage you'd be stupid to pick a petrol over it just because.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭thecomedian

Why not get a TT with a diesel? If you're doing mileage you'd be stupid to pick a petrol over it just because.

It just seems all wrong.

I thought they would be a great idea too but after driving a couple of cars in that segment in diesel form and having owned a 1.8T TT, the diesel just ruins the experience.
    im not a diesel fan though and after recently trying a new A6 diesel, I couldnt wait to get back into my petrol turbo.

When they're that small std baby seat goes in front and SO in the back. When they're bigger you'll get a seat for the rear for them, but you'll be a while looking. A helpful shop and trying them all is what it'll take.....no ISOFIX iirc, uses the seat belts.

Alfa GT is the nearest alternative I can think of atmo....

It won't be long until he's goin into a bigger seat he's got long legs plus it will be another 8 weeks until we buy one. As for finding the right one I was lookin up Audi car seats they cost a bit but worth it I'm thinkin

It won't be long until he's goin into a bigger seat he's got long legs plus it will be another 8 weeks until we buy one. As for finding the right one I was lookin up Audi car seats they cost a bit but worth it I'm thinkin

....keep an eye out for one that someone's finished with.....should work out cheaper. Good TT forum in UK.

Ode To The Motorist

That I will do thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

Nothing dated here... The TT is colour sensitive as mentioned but also wheel sensitive. Ive fitted diamond cut MSWs to mine.
    In fact with quattro, a 6 speed gearbox,225-280 bhp mapped, 1.8 tax, 5 valves per cylinder and 30mpg, climate control, xenon headlights, very detailed interior, ESP , aluminium bonnet and other parts etc it is still actually far ahead of 95% of new Irish cars and also way nicer to sit in than say a new 25grand avensis.

lomb wrote: »
    Nothing dated here... The TT is colour sensitive as mentioned but also wheel sensitive. Ive fitted diamond cut MSWs to mine.
    In fact with quattro, a 6 speed gearbox,225-280 bhp mapped, 1.8 tax, 5 valves per cylinder and 30mpg, climate control, xenon headlights, very detailed interior, ESP , aluminium bonnet and other parts etc it is still actually far ahead of 95% of new Irish cars and also way nicer to sit in than say a new 25grand avensis.

Nice!! My mother in law has one similar and been driving it all weekend. Now gotta have one. Think when you drive it you understand why people enjoy them so much

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭rovoagho

As Galway TT said, a different colour makes a difference on the MK1. Mine with Dolomite Grey doesn't look dated IMO.

Saw one in this color in the UK a few years back, with anthracite rims, loved it.

Wouldn't touch a diesel sports coupe with a barge pole though. Might as well just pick up an MR2 Ferrari.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

I'm aware this wont go down well, but the old tt looks like a pile of arse compared to the new one.

I'm aware this wont go down well, but the old tt looks like a pile of arse compared to the new one.

Lombs TT as pictured above wouldnt be to my taste but a nice mk1 coupe still looks good. In fact some of the more basic versions of the mk2 are terrible looking. Considering that alot of the (early) mk2 were front drive, picking up a 225bhp quattro mk1 is certainly worth considering given the price a good mk1 can be got for.

Everyone has an opinion ... The only car Il be changing for is a TTRS next year in sepang blue. Wouldnt rather any other TT or car currently. The 380bhp might have something to do with it as well as the RS kit.

You are right.
    There is some pile of arse on the Mk1's.
    And a nice arse it is too :)

Everyone has an opinion ... The only car Il be changing for is a TTRS next year in sepang blue. Wouldnt rather any other TT or car currently. The 380bhp might have something to do with it as well as the RS kit.

Nice modified TTRs for sale in the uk at the moment. only £36,000 :O

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

I recently bought a 2001 Audi TT but it's a minter. I absolutely love it. Only cost me 4.5k - and what a car for the money. Get the 225bhp version - I agree you can't have a diesel in that type of car. The seats in the back are Tiny. I do think the newer version is an even more beautiful car, but I'm not sure it's worth the money..

Contemplating a tt Quattro sport if I go ahead.
    Mk1 of course.

vectra wrote: »
    Nice modified TTRs for sale in the uk at the moment. only £36,000 :O

A bit pricey still for me. I think new they can be had at just over 40 there with discount, theyve been out a while now. When the new Mk3 is released values should drop well under 20. I think there were suitable ones at around 25 early this year in manual. The S tronic is more sought after but I wouldnt touch one when the car is out of warranty.

A bit pricey still for me. I think new they can be had at just over 40 there with discount, theyve been out a while now. When the new Mk3 is released values should drop well under 20. I think there were suitable ones at around 25 early this year in manual. The S tronic is more sought after but I wouldnt touch one when the car is out of warranty.

This one has a nice 490bhp and 460 torque :p

http://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds/used-cars/audi/tt-mk2-07-current/audi-tt-2-tfsi-quattro-rs-2010-475-494-hp-modified/1383551

vectra wrote: »

I doubt Id buy a modified car at that level, I doubt the owner is a little old lady. Obviously been rallyed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,590 ✭✭✭tossy

I doubt Id buy a modified car at that level, I doubt the owner is a little old lady. Obviously been rallyed.

Of course it has but that's perfectly ok if looked after. I'd rather buy a well minded highly modified car than a standard one with questionable history.

Advertisement