Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FETAC TO UCD

Options
  • 01-06-2013 2:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 49

Hey was just wondering did anyone come to UCD via the fetac route. How did you find it ? What course are you doing now ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Vinoveritas

mathsyay wrote: »
    Hey was just wondering did anyone come to UCD via the fetac route. How did you find it ? What course are you doing now ?

You can apply to a host of third level colleges if your FETAC course is linked to the institute of your choice. Check with the Admissions Office of your chosen college. Have your FETAC course code to hand. For direct entry through FETAC - you generally require 8 distinctions. However, if you are a mature (23+) FETAC student you can be accepted with 5/6 Distinctions. In general, there are more places reserved for Mature Students (including FETAC). So matures are advised to check out the college of there choice to find out if there are additional entry requirements for matures. All the best. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 49 mathsyay

You can apply to a host of third level colleges if your FETAC course is linked to the institute of your choice. Check with the Admissions Office of your chosen college. Have your FETAC course code to hand. For direct entry through FETAC - you generally require 8 distinctions. However, if you are a mature (23+) FETAC student you can be accepted with 5/6 Distinctions. In general, there are more places reserved for Mature Students (including FETAC). So matures are advised to check out the college of there choice to find out if there are additional entry requirements for matures. All the best. :)

Hey, thanks for your reply, well I got my results and I got 6 distinctions and two merits - I'm appealing the merits right now - I did CASLT course to do science this year hopefully at UCD, it says on there website that 5 distinctions are required and that last year all qualified applicants where offered a place, so I'm just wondering now will I get a place with my sox distinctions or would there be a big jump this year - I'm worried because I know science is growing ever popular :/

Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Vinoveritas

It sounds like you are in with a good chance. You are right to have your merits rechecked - marking can be very subjective. Good luck with your application. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Hey, thanks for your reply, well I got my results and I got 6 distinctions and two merits - I'm appealing the merits right now - I did CASLT course to do science this year hopefully at UCD, it says on there website that 5 distinctions are required and that last year all qualified applicants where offered a place, so I'm just wondering now will I get a place with my sox distinctions or would there be a big jump this year - I'm worried because I know science is growing ever popular :/

Thanks in advance.

Hey Op want do you want to do in UCD?

steddyeddy wrote: »
    Hey Op want do you want to do in UCD?

Well with the CASLT course I have applied to science ... And hopefully will end up doing theoretical physics :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Well with the CASLT course I have applied to science ... And hopefully will end up doing theoretical physics :)

Cool well if you don't get in you could do the access to science and engineering course in UCD and if you get over 60% in that you are reserved a place in science! It's a year long course and it comes really prepares you for science in UCD!

steddyeddy wrote: »
    Cool well if you don't get in you could do the access to science and engineering course in UCD and if you get over 60% in that you are reserved a place in science! It's a year long course and it comes really prepares you for science in UCD!

Oh cool, that sounds great, how do you apply for that ?

Thanks for the help :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

I got into science this year via mature student route. For UCD it really comes down to the MSAP result for mature students.

Im not a mature student :/ so I dont think I would qualify for that. Just wondering has anyone here ever appealed FETAC results the girl in my college said I wouldnt find out the result till October, but the school term starts in September ? why do they need 5 months to look over a paper ??

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭simon0brien

Im not a mature student :/ so I dont think I would qualify for that. Just wondering has anyone here ever appealed FETAC results the girl in my college said I wouldnt find out the result till October, but the school term starts in September ? why do they need 5 months to look over a paper ??

I know It's crazy.. The FETAC to uni. system is very flawed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 Theshaman147

Hey, Sorry for bumping this very old thread wow cant believe its been that long since 2013. Anyway I hope that you have completed your B.A and you doing what you want to do in life now. Anyway I am in a similar position this year I'm doing a The laboratory techniques course to try to attain entry into general science in ucd The last couple years it was 5 distinctions to gain entry but I have a feeling this year its going to spike so I just have a couple of questions.

What advice would you give to get a full 8 distinctions. Also what were your assessors like? Also how many people were in your course at the time and if I may ask what further educator did you attend. Anyway any additional advice you may have would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 6 DKinger107

Hey I know this post is very old but I was just wondering what you mean by appealing the merits? Does that mean getting them re checked in the hope they'll be changed to a distinction? Im doing a level5 right now and i've never heard of this

Advertisement