Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to renounce my Catholic faith

Options
  • 01-06-2013 1:12am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 401 ✭✭

Basically, I'm 16 and completely against Catholicisim. I dont mind if people believe in it and I would never discriminate but I was never given a choice as my parents baptised me. I want out straight away. My only drawback is if the Church has the same power as it does now with regards to primary and secondary education, will I be able to send my children to a first rate primary school where they aren't fed bullsh1t and will they even be allowed in it if they are not of faith. That said, if I do ever have children, I will let them decide which path to choose but they wont be baptised. Help. I need to leave.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭burstbuckle

They've changes the rules so you can't get out,just do what I do & ignore it & hopefully one day it will go away

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 401 ✭✭Leinsterr

They've changes the rules so you can't get out,just do what I do & ignore it & hopefully one day it will go away
    I am hoping that you are being sarcastic. So basically im stuck with this tag for life. Perfect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

Just tell people you're atheist? People rarely ask if you've been baptised.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭Soul Winner

If you're out of it in your heart then you're out of it full stop. So what if they keep you on their books, there's nothing you can do about that, just like there is is nothing they can do about you leaving.

If you don't want your children being taught bull**** in school then send them to a school that doesn't teach bull****.

Plus, you're a bit young to be worrying about kids yet anyway. Enjoy your youth while you have still it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭dr gonzo

http://www.countmeout.ie/

This was the site to walk you through the process of leaving (basically an application to your local bishop) but it would appear that burstbuckle is correct. countmeout have had to suspend themselves due to rule changes...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭seanyleary

Your 16, let's not panic where kids go to school or what there thought just yet. 1 day at a time buddy.

cheers for the responses. so basically i cant leave the church formally?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 8,573 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wilberto

People are just going to assume your catholic anyway, whether or not you renounce your faith, on the basis that this is a supposedly catholic country.

The only way to combat it is to where a T-Shirt 24/7 stating that you're an athiest (or something to that effect).

On a broader note, I don't get why people get so worked up over being baptised etc., and wanting an explicit way of renouncing their faith. Religion is a set of beliefs (very broadly speaking) and it's up to you to believe in whatever you want to believe.

For example, I've been researching Buddhism over the past few weeks because I honestly think that fits in with what I "believe", and the way I want to live my life. But I haven't actually told anyone that I could be heading down that direction.

I guess my main point is, believe what you want to believe. What difference does it make if some fella poured a jug of water over your head or not when you were a baby.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭UDP

Wilberto wrote: »
    On a broader note, I don't get why people get so worked up over being baptised etc., and wanting an explicit way of renouncing their faith. Religion is a set of beliefs (very broadly speaking) and it's up to you to believe in whatever you want to believe.

For example, I've been researching Buddhism over the past few weeks because I honestly think that fits in with what I "believe", and the way I want to live my life. But I haven't actually told anyone that I could be heading down that direction.

I guess my main point is, believe what you want to believe. What difference does it make if some fella poured a jug of water over your head or not when you were a baby.
    We are talking about organised religion which is not just a set of beliefs. It is an organisation/cult with membership records. I know for me it was a case of knowing i made a conscious effort to officially distance myself from such a morally corrupt and harmful cult. If someone asks me if i am a catholic i can say no and have proof of that too.
    I want anyone who searches my records in the future to see i left that organisation and everyone should have a right to have that marked on the records kept by that vile organisation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

dr gonzo wrote: »
    http://www.countmeout.ie/

This was the site to walk you through the process of leaving (basically an application to your local bishop) but it would appear that burstbuckle is correct. countmeout have had to suspend themselves due to rule changes...

I wonder if there's a process under the data protection act. Shouldn't all data held about you be kept up to date?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Leinsterr wrote: »
    cheers for the responses. so basically i cant leave the church formally?
    www.countmeout.ie/how but tbh I'm not sure you can do this at 16.
    And don't put Catholic on the next census, you're 18 by then I presume.

biko wrote: »
    www.countmeout.ie/how but tbh I'm not sure you can do this at 16.
    And don't put Catholic on the next census, you're 18 by then I presume.

Unless his mum fills it out :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭ironingbored

If you're out of it in your heart then you're out of it full stop. So what if they keep you on their books, there's nothing you can do about that, just like there is is nothing they can do about you leaving.

If you don't want your children being taught bull**** in school then send them to a school that doesn't teach bull****.

Plus, you're a bit young to be worrying about kids yet anyway. Enjoy your youth while you have still it.

Even perpetrators of horrific child abuse have not been excommunicated. Your only hope is to become a TD and vote for a prochoice bill in the Dail. Then you're out apparently.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,907 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

don't worry about whatever records the church keep on you. baptismal rolls are a record that you were baptised (which is an historical fact) and are *not* a 'membership book'.
    have you talked to your folks about it yet? the one record you would want to worry about is the census. and when the next one comes around - if you're still living with your folks - you want to make sure you're recorded as 'no religion' on that. because that is the one that matters.

don't worry about whatever records the church keep on you. baptismal rolls are a record that you were baptised (which is an historical fact) and are *not* a 'membership book'.
    have you talked to your folks about it yet? the one record you would want to worry about is the census. and when the next one comes around - if you're still living with your folks - you want to make sure you're recorded as 'no religion' on that. because that is the one that matters.
    On the last census my parents filled out some of it and I'm pretty sure they marked me as a Catholic. They know I'm an atheist but I have a feeling that they think it's just a phase that I will grow out of or some sh1t like that. They don't know that I want to officially distance myself from the Church but if I tell them they'd probably lose the head. According to the changes in laws, I can't leave at all. And people go around defending the Church against corruption allegations

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭UDP

smcgiff wrote: »
    I wonder if there's a process under the data protection act. Shouldn't all data held about you be kept up to date?
    Technically they just have records of events that happened e.g. baptism etc. As they are not technically membership records then they do not have to be adjusted under data protection laws as the events happened thus are correct records.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

What you need is a placard. Write "I'm not a Catholic anymore" on it, and march up and down outside your local church on Sunday mornings for the next 3 weeks. Alternatively, you could take out a full page ad in The Irish Times, the paper of record.

What you need is a placard. Write "I'm not a Catholic anymore" on it, and march up and down outside your local church on Sunday mornings for the next 3 weeks. Alternatively, you could take out a full page ad in The Irish Times, the paper of record.

I have matches on Sundays :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

How to renounce my Catholic faith. The last word is key. If you no longer have faith then you are no longer a Christian / Catholic, what have you. Simple as falling off a log.

No big drama, but I suspect that what you want is a big drama, a huge Cecil B. de Mille production about how your parents ignored your decision-making rights as an infant, disenfranchised you at three months old and now you are branded / damaged / signed-up for life.

Apologies if I'm wrong

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Sulla Felix

mathepac wrote: »
    How to renounce my Catholic faith. The last word is key. If you no longer have faith then you are no longer a Christian / Catholic, what have you. Simple as falling off a log.

No big drama, but I suspect that what you want is a big drama, a huge Cecil B. de Mille production about how your parents ignored your decision-making rights as an infant, disenfranchised you at three months old and now you are branded / damaged / signed-up for life.

Apologies if I'm wrong

You say that like it's a bad thing. The whole baby baptism thing is at the heart of a lot of peoples issues with the church. Along with sex abuse they probably make up the largest category.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

I have matches on Sundays :(

The Irish Times is yer only man so.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,134 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Official records are kept by the CSO, not by the church or the IT. When the next census comes around make sure you are recorded as non-religious, or whatever category best matches your wishes. I asked each of my kids how they wanted to be recorded during the last census. You'll be old enough the next time to demand that you are recorded correctly.

As several posters have said, it's also a matter of faith. You can't be a catholic if you don't believe the creed they lay down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

If you dont want to be a catholic dont go to church or follow any of its principles. Its not a club that every year you choose whether you want to continue it for another year or not.

Religion is what you believe and value. If Catholicism has no value for you, thats all that matters. Some piece of that says you arent catholic isnt going to make a whole load of difference

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

OP and mum :D

UDP wrote: »
    Technically they just have records of events that happened e.g. baptism etc. As they are not technically membership records then they do not have to be adjusted under data protection laws as the events happened thus are correct records.

But, if they are using that informatiin to claim there are over 1 billion catholics in the world then they are falsely using that information.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,907 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

smcgiff wrote: »
    But, if they are using that informatiin to claim there are over 1 billion catholics in the world then they are falsely using that information.
    big swinging mickey. they claim papal infallibility too; there's plenty of nonsense they believe. this is just another minor part of that. what matters in ireland is the census returns; and what you tell your politicians.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,387 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

My only drawback is if the Church has the same power as it does now with regards to primary and secondary education, will I be able to send my children to a first rate primary school where they aren't fed bullsh1t and will they even be allowed in it if they are not of faith. That said, if I do ever have children, I will let them decide which path to choose but they wont be baptised. Help. I need to leave.

No 'first rate school' can teach myth as fact. The concept of religious schools (and especially the ones which charge huge fees) as the 'best' is something they are clinging onto for dear life, it's their best only hope of survival really.

Kids have a right to an education no matter what religious beliefs their parents do or do not have. This is in the constitution, although unless you're a millionaire it's not easy to turn a constitutional right into a legal, practical right :mad: I'm part of the generation fighting for our kids' right to be religion-free now, by the time you get there things should be a lot easier - I hope. It'd help if you delayed a bit :pac:

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

Advertisement