Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

1.4 petrol or 1.6 diesel

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Susie120704

I owned a 1.4 petrol Golf until three weeks ago. Great car but they do like the fuel. Mind you the resale on it was great and far more than I expected.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 solarsystem

Of the two examples you have shown the petrol Golf would be a far nicer car to own. It looks better, has a higher spec interior, engine is much smoother and quieter and it has more comfortable seats.

If your annual mileage is only 8500 per year then the difference in fuel consumption will not amount to very much in money terms.

On a good week a diesel car will cost less to run, but what many people forget is that modern diesel cars use a range of expensive components that petrol cars do not need. And some of these are prone to failure at surprisingly low mileages, such as dual mass flywheel, (over 1000 euro job to replace), turbo (over 1000 euro), common rail direct injection system (many thousands), DPF (many hundreds) etc.

That Golf looks nice, but I would be happier with a final straight deal price of about 8500 euro for that one.

Best of luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

Of the two examples you have shown the petrol Golf would be a far nicer car to own. It looks better, has a higher spec interior, engine is much smoother and quieter and it has more comfortable seats.

If your annual mileage is only 8500 per year then the difference in fuel consumption will not amount to very much in money terms.

On a good week a diesel car will cost less to run, but what many people forget is that modern diesel cars use a range of expensive components that petrol cars do not need. And some of these are prone to failure at surprisingly low mileages, such as dual mass flywheel, (over 1000 euro job to replace), turbo (over 1000 euro), common rail direct injection system (many thousands), DPF (many hundreds) etc.

That Golf looks nice, but I would be happier with a final straight deal price of about 8500 euro for that one.

Best of luck

Thanks for that.

How much in general does the sale price differ from the listed price.

Say the cars above are listed for €10,500, how much would a dealer sell them for?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭Bpmull

Best of luck
    A 90ps focus 1.6tdci doesn't have a dpf or dmf so there 2 things less to worry. The 110ps does have a dpf so you would be better to go with a 90ps op. as for a golf I've never heard anyone turn around and compliment a 1.4 golf there suppose to be very underpowered. I have a focus 1.6 tdci and quite frankly it has my heart broken. But that doesn't mean there all bad I think I was just very unlucky with my one tbh.

That depends on how much demand there will be for a particular car. Because that petrol Golf is for sale in a rural area there will be less demand for it. Diesel cars are very fashionable in rural areas at the moment. (Also in urban areas, but to a lesser extent).

I believe that if you were a serious buyer with money to spend and you arranged to go test drive that Golf and, after driving it, made a sincere offer of 8500 and were prepared to walk away, you would get that Golf, (if not on the day certainly within a few days when you would probably get a call from he salesman).

Be good humoured and sincere and you might be surprised how good a deal you could do with them

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Fiskar

djPSB wrote: »
    Trying to decide whether to go for a 1.4 petrol or a 1.6 diesel car.

I have a budget of about €11,000.

Most of my driving would be motorway driving. About 700 miles per month.

I am thinking maybe a 1.4 golf or a 1.6 diesel focus.

Examples below:

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Volkswagen/Golf/1.4-COMF/35813686310167890/advert?channel=CARS

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Ford/Focus/STYLE-1./201313214126058/advert?channel=CARS

Which would make more sense or is there more cars that I should be considering. I am thinking the golf would hold its value better but the focus would be cheaper to run.

For pleasure, piece of mind and low maintenance bills stay with the petrol.

Diesels are too complicated nowadays and need a lot of tlc.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,174 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

That depends on how much demand there will be for a particular car. Because that petrol Golf is for sale in a rural area there will be less demand for it. Diesel cars are very fashionable in rural areas at the moment. (Also in urban areas, but to a lesser extent).

I believe that if you were a serious buyer with money to spend and you arranged to go test drive that Golf and, after driving it, made a sincere offer of 8500 and were prepared to walk away, you would get that Golf, (if not on the day certainly within a few days when you would probably get a call from he salesman).

Be good humoured and sincere and you might be surprised how good a deal you could do with them

As someone who will be in the market for a 2nd hand car soon, do you really think you would get €2k off a €10k car?

Seems very high.

Wow thanks really didn't think it would be that much.

I thought €10,000 or so would be the sale price for one listed at €10,500.

It depends on the car and the demand that there will be for that car in that location.

In the case of the OP's Golf, yes I believe that 8500 is a fair straight deal price for a 5 year old Golf Comfortline 1.4 80bhp with 86,000 km.

It is not reasonable to assume however that in all cases you would deal 2 grand off the price of a 10 grand car

• Registered Users Posts: 33,174 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Thing is, I will be in the market for an MPV, and as it will be doing short runs, I am thinking of buying a petrol.

The way car buyers are now, I always thought I might stand a chance of getting a few quid off if I took a petrol off someones hands, as everyone seems to want diesel these days.

But if I spotted one at 10.5k, there is no way I'd make an offer of 8.5k for it. I'd be embarrassed I'd be chased out of the dealership for being a time waster.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Susie120704

Bpmull wrote: »
    A 90ps focus 1.6tdci doesn't have a dpf or dmf so there 2 things less to worry. The 110ps does have a dpf so you would be better to go with a 90ps op. as for a golf I've never heard anyone turn around and compliment a 1.4 golf there suppose to be very underpowered. I have a focus 1.6 tdci and quite frankly it has my heart broken. But that doesn't mean there all bad I think I was just very unlucky with my one tbh.
    The Golf would definitely not be underpowered. I traded mine for a 1.9 TDI and I can't believe how less peppy it is compared to the Golf. I would never have traded my Golf if my mileage hadn't been so high. They are a great car. Incidentally I was buying a Focus a few years ago and felt it did not compare to the Golf on a test drive

NIMAN wrote: »
    Thing is, I will be in the market for an MPV, and as it will be doing short runs, I am thinking of buying a petrol.

The way car buyers are now, I always thought I might stand a chance of getting a few quid off if I took a petrol off someones hands, as everyone seems to want diesel these days.

But if I spotted one at 10.5k, there is no way I'd make an offer of 8.5k for it. I'd be embarrassed I'd be chased out of the dealership for being a time waster.

:) I used to be like that, until I learned almost by accident how to do deals years ago. There were a few occasions many years ago when I wanted to buy things but genuinely did not have the budget. Because I was genuine and not chancing my arm I was not embarrassed to say that I would love to buy them but I only had such and such a budget. And because I didn't expect to get them anyway I was always ready to walk away.
    To my absolute amazement I found I almost always got whatever it was at my low budget.
    Be sincere and be prepared to walk away, and you'll get your deal.

PS. Would recommend a Ford S Max petrol

Is there much difference between the standard golf model and the comfortline model?

Comfortline has much nicer seats in particular. Probably has a leather trimmed steering wheel and a few things like that too. Overall the comfortline interior feels much more upmarket

The Golf would definitely not be underpowered. I traded mine for a 1.9 TDI and I can't believe how less peppy it is compared to the Golf. I would never have traded my Golf if my mileage hadn't been so high. They are a great car. Incidentally I was buying a Focus a few years ago and felt it did not compare to the Golf on a test drive

Are you sure you not thinking of a 1.4tsi golf because that's a very different car power wise compared to a 1.4fsi (the one the op is looking at). As a 1.4tsi has a supercharger/ turbo charger depending on variant. I'm not saying a golf is a bad car or a focus is a great car. My point is comparing a 1.4 fsi golf to a 1.6tdci 90ps focus the golf is going to be the one that's down on power. 90bhp vs 80bhp but the major difference is the golf is 132nm of torque vs focus 215nm of torque also full torque is avaliable from 1750 revs on the focus alot lower down the rev band compared to the golf.

Comfortline has much nicer seats in particular. Probably has a leather trimmed steering wheel and a few things like that too. Overall the comfortline interior feels much more upmarket

Cheers.

And the trendline?

Right now I can't remember what the Trendline model has, sorry

Is there much difference between the standard golf model and the comfortline model?

-better seats as said
    -cruise control
    -auto lights and wipers
    -alloys
    -a/c

Cheers folks.

Last question.

Would ye recommend going for the comfortline, trendline or gt sport model (below)?

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/5036817

• Advertisement

Cheers folks.

Last question.

Would ye recommend going for the comfortline, trendline or gt sport model (below)?

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/5036817

That's a lovely Golf. Worth noting however that it is for sale in South Dublin. Prime location for selling a 1.4 petrol car. It will be hard for you to deal in that location

• Registered Users Posts: 16,089 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

Trying to decide whether to go for a 1.4 petrol or a 1.6 diesel car.

Just out of curiosity - why are you limiting yourself to engine size 1.4 for petrol and 1.6 diesel?

I see you are looking at 08 cars onwards, so engine size doesn't affect motortax rate anymore.

CiniO wrote: »
    Just out of curiosity - why are you limiting yourself to engine size 1.4 for petrol and 1.6 diesel?

I see you are looking at 08 cars onwards, so engine size doesn't affect motortax rate anymore.

It affects my insurance significantly.

I am currently paying €550 per year insurance for a 00 1.4 corolla. 3rd party.

A 08 1.9 fully comp would cost me €1,400 per year.

It's just too much imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,089 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

It affects my insurance significantly.

I am currently paying €550 per year insurance for a 00 1.4 corolla. 3rd party.

A 08 1.9 fully comp would cost me €1,400 per year.

It's just too much imo.

I didn't think about that.
    For me engine size makes very little difference on insurance.

CiniO wrote: »
    I didn't think about that.
    For me engine size makes very little difference on insurance.

Yeah it shouldn't make much difference to me in a year or two either.

If anyone has any feedback on which of the below to go for in a of1.4, it would be much appreciated.

Comfortline, trendline or gt sport?

• Registered Users Posts: 12 dizzymg

Are you dead set on a golf,
    Ive just seen a 08 toyota auris on donedeal for 7500, it would save you a good bit and looks to be a nice car!

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/5007557

Advertisement