Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stanley oil range or firebird burner zoned heating

Options
  • 31-05-2013 7:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18

Hi all, I'm at a Loss as to how to heat my house. My situation is this.

Have a 60000btu Stanley oil range in kitchen which does a good job of heating the rads and hot water.

In the garage I have a 120000btu firebird burner, which is a little bit slower to heat the rads upstairs.

I want to zone my heating, I've had a few plumbers out to the house to inspect the setup. The most recent has said I have a few options-zone the heating via the firebird as it's more efficient than the range. The problem here is this will require some ripping up because of the way the plumbing comes into the house on ground floor.

The second would be to use the Stanley as the main heat source in the kitchen and it could be zoned easily.

I've been told the Stanley isn't efficient, but at the same time the way the firebird is plumbed isn't that efficient either-the pipes coming directly from the burner go into the ground uninsulated etc and it's about 10yr old. Also when using the firebird to heat the house it takes considerably longer, i've been told that the pump needs to be replaced so that might have something to do with it. So, should I really rule out the Stanley as my main heat source in this instance? I can't afford to upgrade my boiler to high efficiency and it'll prob cost me more to zone the heating via firebird.

Feedback appreciated,I don't know what route to take.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Billy Bunting

auditions wrote: »
    firebird is plumbed isn't that efficient either-the pipes coming directly from the burner go into the ground uninsulated etc and it's about 10yr old. Also when using the firebird to heat the house it takes considerably longer, .

You might be surprised at what the firebird will do once you stop heating your back garden. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭esox28

Unless you are using the Stanley alot for cooking and the likes....ship it.

Without seeing the connection between firebird and the central heating, but in most of these cases the oil boiler was installed after the Stanley and just connected to the nearest service run, it does sound like your maybe simmular as the heat from the 120 k is heating everything may through the Stanley or through the stanleys coil for hot water.

IMHO install a time and temp controled ch system which incorporates the 120k boiler. If you inquire with seai about the heating controls upgrade grant although the grant isent much the spec that they require is what you need, there spec is top notch imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 auditions

You might be surprised at what the firebird will do once you stop heating your back garden. :eek:

Well done

• Registered Users Posts: 18 auditions

esox28 wrote: »
    Unless you are using the Stanley alot for cooking and the likes....ship it.

Without seeing the connection between firebird and the central heating, but in most of these cases the oil boiler was installed after the Stanley and just connected to the nearest service run, it does sound like your maybe simmular as the heat from the 120 k is heating everything may through the Stanley or through the stanleys coil for hot water.

IMHO install a time and temp controled ch system which incorporates the 120k boiler. If you inquire with seai about the heating controls upgrade grant although the grant isent much the spec that they require is what you need, there spec is top notch imo.

Thanks for that

Advertisement