Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Making Hip-Hop Beats

Options
  • 31-05-2013 6:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭

I'm a big Hip-Hop fan and with a bit of spare time over the summer have been thinking of trying to start making beats. It will only be a hobby but at the same time I'd like to do it properly, I just have no idea where to start. I haven't got a massive amount of cash to spend but was thinking of buying an mpc and working from there? Would people consider this a good way to go and if not what would you advise? Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 743 Mod ✭✭✭✭TroutMask

MPCs are very cool and will give you the authentic hip-hop flavour. If you've not used Akai before there can be a bit of a learning curve - they're not really straightforward to use. I have 2 AKAIs and love 'em both dearly: an S950 and an MPC 500. The 500 can run off batteries, which is kinda cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭countbezukov

TroutMask wrote: »
    MPCs are very cool and will give you the authentic hip-hop flavour. If you've not used Akai before there can be a bit of a learning curve - they're not really straightforward to use. I have 2 AKAIs and love 'em both dearly: an S950 and an MPC 500. The 500 can run off batteries, which is kinda cool.

So you think I could start out with just an MPC then and if I get the hang of it work from there? That was what I was considering and it seems like a reasonably inexpensive way to go about it. Was looking at the mpc500 or the new mpc studio.

Thanks

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 743 Mod ✭✭✭✭TroutMask

Hmm, depends on your skills, and TBH, your tenacity or ability to 'woodshed'. I say this because the MPC 500 is not straightforward, there are multiple button pushes involved to carry out functions. The MPC Studio looks really cool, if a bit flimsier in build than the 500.

The main advantage of the Studio over the 500 seems to be the integration of the hardware with the Akai MAc or PC based software - a cool development and the realisation of an aspiration AKAI has had for a while since the introduction of the AkSys Software w/ the S5000/S6000 series. I was/am a big fan of AkSys - so I'll be looking closely at the Studio & friends soon, so thanks for that :)

BTW don't be fooled by the 'USB' interface on the 500, basically it's a glorified card reader, and it conveniently allows you to transfer samples and 'Akai programs' (these are the pad mappings basically) to the sampler's card memory without physically removing the CF card from the sampler. You do have to 'unmount' the card first - transfer the data - then 'mount' the card again. So it's a tad unwieldy - but has the advantage of being rock solid, and prevents the CF card contacts from getting bent or damaged (easily done!!).

So, to sum up, your choice would probably be determined by your views on software & hardware. If you'r au fait with a bit of sequencing in software, but want the presence and 'slam' of hardware: then the Studio would be the choice. However if you dislike working on a computer, and prefer working with hardware and learning bespoke system architecture, then the 500 might be the one for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭countbezukov

Great, thanks for the reply. I have basically no musical experience so I know whatever way I go will require a fair bit of perseverance to get any where. I think I'll probably go for the mpc studio then when I finally get the cash together.
    Thanks again.

Advertisement