Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Great Xtravision Deal

Options
  • 31-05-2013 5:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

I got two new release DVD's to rent today and got loads of goodies for just an extra €2.
    Here's the deal!

Rent 2 movies for 2 nights, get 2 fresh popcorn, 2 chocolate pouches from a choice of Giant Buttons, Caramel Nibbles, Twirl Bites and Bitsa Wispa, and a large soft drink from the choice of 1.5 litre bottle of Coke, 1.5 litre bottle of Diet Coke or 1.25 litre bottle of Club Orange. Offer valid until 27th June 2013 or while stocks last.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭mad m

Hmmm, how much in total?

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭stocktrader

I downloaded 2 movies and made some popcorn for total cost of 50 cent and didnt have to leave the house :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,429 ✭✭✭Kenjataimu

My local xtravision has 3 dvds/blurays to rent for €10 so maybe its €12 total.

Either way you're better off using that cash for a netflix subscription imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,270 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Proco Jr. wrote: »
    My local xtravision has 3 dvds/blurays to rent for €10 so maybe its €12 total.

Either way you're better off using that cash for a netflix subscription imo.

Netflix suck, very few good films on it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,429 ✭✭✭Kenjataimu

ted1 wrote: »
    Netflix suck, very few good films on it

Yeah you are probably right to be fair.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭Prodigious

Do they have any Iron Bru for sale?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

mad m wrote: »
    Hmmm, how much in total?

€12

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

You could get free Elite HotSpot Shield (Not the cráp one with all the malware/spyware/adware/crápware) for a year, and get Hulu.

Head over to Tesco's and get all the Junk you want.. ;)

(That is as an alternative to Shítflix, not Xtravision)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

I downloaded 2 movies and made some popcorn for total cost of 50 cent and didnt have to leave the house :)

Im sure the data protection minister would love to hear from you ;)

as would the film industry and the poor souls at places like xtravision who will lose their jobs because people are too mean to spring for a few bucks

but hey, as long as you are alright ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭Access

I'm normally an xtravision knocker as I think their price point for new DVD rentals is too high and should be at maximum €2.50 IMHO to get my rental custom back.

But saying that, since they entered examinership (someone correct me if I'm wrong on examinership) they are having a shake up from inside and they seem to have copped on price wise on some items they are selling in the stores... I have got a few bargains when in there and they even beat amazon on a box set I was looking for. Chart busters is gone at least 3 or 4 years now... (yeah! remember them?) and I'm surprised xtravision has not gone in the meanwhile.

This offer is a step in the right direction... but that is all it is... an offer till the end of June.

€12 for all that is pretty good... but ye still need to sort out your regular rental prices xtravision!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Reminder that this is a Xtravision BA and not how to download illegally etc, doesn't matter how cheap it is if its not legal, thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭stocktrader

as would the film industry and the poor souls at places like xtravision who will lose their jobs because people are too mean to spring for a few bucks

:D yep and think of all the jobs created by netflix, 4od, lovefilm, hulu and the like

move with the times and stop living in the 80's chump :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭ginoginelli

Well, He never said he downloaded them illegally. So I don't think we have to go calling the authorities just yet. :rolleyes:

Save your vitriol for the Joe duffy show next time sport. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

I'll probably pop in and get this a couple of times before the deal ends. I actually don't think there is anything wrong with the pricing, they are pretty competive but the one gripe I have is the selection of movies, maybe it's just because I am a child of the Internet age but I feel like if you go in there more than once a month or so you have pretty much depleted all of your options.

The one thing they have me on is that popcorn though, it's so nice, nicer than most cinemas IMHO and definitely better than the microwave stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,084 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Thanks OP I will use this offer to rent out Wreck it Ralph tomorrow,looks like a fun film.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,409 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Access wrote: »
    I'm normally an xtravision knocker as I think their price point for new DVD rentals is too high and should be at maximum €2.50 IMHO to get my rental custom back.

But saying that, since they entered examinership (someone correct me if I'm wrong on examinership) they are having a shake up from inside and they seem to have copped on price wise on some items they are selling in the stores... I have got a few bargains when in there and they even beat amazon on a box set I was looking for. Chart busters is gone at least 3 or 4 years now... (yeah! remember them?) and I'm surprised xtravision has not gone in the meanwhile.

This offer is a step in the right direction... but that is all it is... an offer till the end of June.

€12 for all that is pretty good... but ye still need to sort out your regular rental prices xtravision!

I'd agree,lower the rental rather than flog crap I don't want.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,334 ✭✭✭bladespin

€12 to rent two movies for two nights is ridiculously expensive regardless of what they throw in IMO, there are plenty of legal download sites too lets remember.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭kn

meoklmrk91 wrote: »
    I'll probably pop in and get this a couple of times before the deal ends. I actually don't think there is anything wrong with the pricing, they are pretty competive but the one gripe I have is the selection of movies, maybe it's just because I am a child of the Internet age but I feel like if you go in there more than once a month or so you have pretty much depleted all of your options.

The rental selection has certainly contracted of late.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,751 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

bladespin wrote: »
    €12 to rent two movies for two nights is ridiculously expensive regardless of what they throw in IMO, there are plenty of legal download sites too lets remember.

Is it? Eur12 for 2 new releases and with drinks and chocolate enough for 4 people? Given that they have a bricks and mortar store paying staff wages/insurance etc?

I saw the offer today and wondered where the profit was. Vudu/Hulu are charging about eur4 for a new release rental are they not? For an online service without a lot of the costs Xtravision has.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Sure Thing

Was a shame Xtravision closed down their rentals by post scheme as cannot get decent broadband here in the sticks for Netflix etc.
    Just Screen Click left now me thinks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,751 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

Well, He never said he downloaded them illegally. So I don't think we have to go calling the authorities just yet.

Well...given that this thread is about new releases, if he didn't download them illegally please tell us where they can be downloaded for free legally!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,334 ✭✭✭bladespin

Is it? Eur12 for 2 new releases and with drinks and chocolate enough for 4 people? Given that they have a bricks and mortar store paying staff wages/insurance etc?

I saw the offer today and wondered where the profit was. Vudu/Hulu are charging about eur4 for a new release rental are they not? For an online service without a lot of the costs Xtravision has.

Not too bothered about downloading really TBH, leave out the rubbish and how much does it cost to rent two movies then?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

What does insurance/wages have to do with it being expensive to a consumer? Xtravision's prices are crazy and they thought they could get away with it now being practically the only provider, bar a few small local video shops. I feel sorry for the staff of course, but the internet has caught up with them, they never even reacted to it either. A single rental I don't believe has gone down in price for the past few years. All these deals make it look like it, but really your paying for stuff you mightnt have got in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 SarahC91

American netflix is the best :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭skeleton_boy

Was pleasantly surprised with the offers I found on second hand blu-rays in xtravision yesterday. €4 for the fighter. That said their new releases are still way off the mark.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭oceancat

Dead right to pal i have been doing it for years illegal or not nobody has come knocking in my door trying to charge me for downloading,

tough **** to extravision, they have been fleecing us for years with there over priced rentals.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭johnwd

12 euros for that lot sounds like a good deal to me, unlike another poster though I HATE the popcorn - its popcorn flavoured salt if you ask me, but maybe this varies from store to store.

Yes renting is expensive but find it hard to believe xtravision have been robbing us given this is the 2nd time that they've been down the examinership route? Don't think their staff were driving mercs either and were for the most part on decent people on poor wages so it's hard not to feel sorry for them being laid off. It must be next to impossible to compete with online businesses with much smaller overheads by comparison. I hate to think how many videos need to be rented before rent, rates, staff wages, heat, lighting etc. are paid for and profits start to come in.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭kn

johnwd wrote: »
    Yes renting is expensive but find it hard to believe xtravision have been robbing us given this is the 2nd time that they've been down the examinership route? Don't think their staff were driving mercs either and were for the most part on decent people on poor wages so it's hard not to feel sorry for them being laid off. It must be next to impossible to compete with online businesses with much smaller overheads by comparison. I hate to think how many videos need to be rented before rent, rates, staff wages, heat, lighting etc. are paid for and profits start to come in.

That's what I think it comes down to. The cost of distribution online by streaming is next to zero whereas in the shop there is the rent, rates, staffing, energy costs etc etc. If we were being ripped off it would not have gone to the wall twice in two years.

Advertisement